Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Flying wing for a friend.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying wing for a friend.

Hi everyone,
A friend of mine is ready to move up in performance a bit from the basic parkfliers and I recommended a flying wing. Thing is, I haven't kept up with the electrics that much lately, so I need your advice.
I will be building the thing for him so it needs to go together quickly as I have limited time to build. It needs to be durable and relatively easy to handle.

Any suggestions ?

Dave
Old 05-27-2005, 10:42 AM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Flying wing for a friend.

You may want to check out the Wisper 2 here at www.bmkdesigns.net they include the motor and are on sale throughthe end of the month for $42.50. Great wing I used it to teach my kids to fly.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Dsegal

Two problems with flying wings: Some have no grip provided and are nearly impossible to handlaunch. And once in the air, it is difficult to keep them visually oriented due to shape. Not something a beginner should have to deal with.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Rebellion

ORIGINAL: Dsegal

Two problems with flying wings: Some have no grip provided and are nearly impossible to handlaunch. And once in the air, it is difficult to keep them visually oriented due to shape. Not something a beginner should have to deal with.

I am well aware of the pros and cons of a wing, having owned a couple of the in the past. Just not up on what's currently available. While certainly no expert, my friend is not quite a rank beginner either. That and I will be making the first flight or two, as well as buddy cording him if I feel it necessary.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 07-05-2005, 10:32 AM
exeter_acres

Zagi Tazz
Old 07-07-2005, 05:49 PM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

Great Planes Slinger.......$49 at Tower Hobbies. I swapped out the stock motor with a Mega 16/15/6, APC 7x5 prop, Castle Creations Phoenix 25 and a Thunder Power 3s 2100 pack

Zagi Fixx built stock, used a 2s 1200 etec lipo Flies nice and slow. Not very aerobatic and I won't recommend flying it in a strong wind. Can be flown in a small park

Of course, you can't go wrong with a zagi from Trick RC. It is the standard wing by which others are judged.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39574.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	294753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73701.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	294754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51061.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	294755  
Old 05-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Black Arrow

I'm not real keen on the Zagi Fixx. I am very much a beginner. I have been trying to teach myself using a Zagi Fixx. It flies OK I guess and it's slower speed helps a lot BUT it is not a very durable plane. The foam is kind of brittle and my one bad crash resulted in a lot of fractured foam. There were chunks all over the place. I did get it back together just last night by splicing in some balsa, hot glueing, GWS foam glueing and some tape. My wife can't believe I saved that wreck!LOL! It was broken right in half diagonally near the center joint and both wind tips were broken off. I have seen guys crash EPP foam wings from higher altitudes at higher speeds with minimal consequences that allowed them to be back in the air in 5 minutes and less!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:26 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the ZAGI TAZZ its really nice, not difficult to build at all and very very durable. The powerful motor gives you an option to fly fast or just laze about. Launching it is not that hard, just give it a very good chuck. Only thing about flying wings are that they will go into a "spiral of death" if you stall them. Again, the TAZZ can fly pretty slow and not stall, so to stall it you must have been trying to fly her as slow as a GWS Stick!
Old 06-28-2006, 01:15 AM
e-flight22

hi e-dave,

there are many good flying wings to pick from. it really depends on your friends experience and how responsive u want the plane to be. zagi's and many other wings are great because the building time is very minimal. i have a zagi tazz and a zagi400x. the one with the american flag on it is my zagi tazz and the yellow ones the zagi400X. they both fly great and are amazing planes. ive flown the zagi400x for a few yrs now and only have had to buy extra batteries for more flight, a new standard servo, and to replace the fiber tape that holds the plastic fins on. otherwise no major repairs. plus ive ran that zagi400x into a baseball backstand thing, a tree, the ground from 30feet, and many other to close to ground experiences haha like zagi combat. the zagi400x only downside is it is not meant to climb fast since it only has a speed 400 motor, u could upgrade it later on if u like. the other one the zagi tazz has a brushless motor and it can rly move if u want it to. i havent done to much high speed stuff with my tazz yet becuz i just got a few flights on it but the tazz if u want it to can get up to 85+ mph in level flight. im still in the process of tweaking mine to do that . also if u dont wanna go fast with the tazz u dont have to, i fly sometimes at half throttle or less and it works great (around 20-40mph), it actually thermals very nicely as well. and landings with the tazz are very slow to which is an added bonus for when learning. id recommend either plane to you, its rly a personal choice. both also tracked great in the air on there first flights, very small adjustments were needed . if u get the zagi400x u can always upgrade it and u might save a little money in the beginning. if u get the zagi tazz u might spend a little more in the beginning but wont have to upgrade since the powerplant in it is rly good. many hobby stores stock the zagi tazz and/or zagi400x and i know a few places online that do as well.

here are a few links.

Zagi Tazz link: https://www.trickrc.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=108
Zagi400X link: http://www.newcreations-rc.com/Produ...e=I&catlevel=2

here is a link to a review of a zagi tazz someone did that has some helpful pointers. have to remember tho this guy was going for insane speed with his zagi tazz so thats why his is that way, going that quick is optional . id stick with the 9.6V 1800mah NiMH battery that comes with it. no need for lipoly.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=463

Hopefully this information helps. If you have anymore questions or anything about the planes, etc... let me know, ill definetley help. good luck!

Name:	Qo39772.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	484020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51839.jpg
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	484021  
Old 06-28-2006, 01:20 AM
e-flight22

more pics, sry about loading that one twice, im new to this file loader thing haha

Name:	Xv64136.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	484023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73702.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	484024  
Old 07-07-2006, 06:09 PM
rwmson

e-flight22 - wow, great covering job!

Dave - I have a Zagi-XS w/brushless motor & LiPo, it flies well and isn't too difficult to fly if you already have some piloting experience. I think that a 48" wing is ideal for a first-time flying wing. However I will say that the plastic parts that come with all Zagi's are always cracking/breaking when you crash (I know from experience). I recently built a Wing Warrior eZipper (it's a 36" wing) and had a devil of a time getting it in the air the first time - I donked it at least a dozen times before I got it up in the air. The nice thing about the eZipper is that all the electronics are embedded in the foam, an aluminium plate is used for the motor mount, and the winglets are 2mm Coroplast. All I had to do was was pick it up and launch it again. My Zagi would have never endured all those crashes without having a winglet or something other plastic piece break.

I recommend that you look for a 48" wing made from EPP foam, where the electronics are embedded in the foam, and preferrably with Coroplast winglets. I also recommend that you use heat-shrink film (Ultracote works great) to cover it instead of tape - this will last much longer than a tape job. I think that I've seen a lot of people recommend the Unicorn and Devistator wings - I don't recall who sells these but you can probably Google it and find out.

Roger