Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

GWS Formosa or Formosa II?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 09:22 PM
scupking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Formosa or Formosa II?

Im looking into getting a nice pattern flyer and was wondering how the Formosa and the Formosa II are? Right now I have a Space Scooter and Shock flyer.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GWS Formosa or Formosa II?

My Formosa flys like a dream! I'd like to know what the difference is between the Formosa and Formosa 2. My Formosa has a 400 brushless and 3 cell Lipo. Goes straight up forever at half throttle.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:10 AM
mike tully

The major difference between the two is that the Formosa exists in reality and the Formosa II does not. The II has been promised for over a year, but is still somewhre off in the future. Buy the Formosa, put a 200 watt brushless system in it and you will have as good a pattern plane as the big boys.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:22 PM
scupking

I have an Axi 2208/34 on my shock flyer, would that work on the Formosa?
Old 07-17-2005, 08:21 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Formosa 2 is slightly larger. About 7 in. more wingspan.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:38 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

I just test flew my Formosa and it flies great[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] I'm using a HiMaxx 2015 BL, C geared[sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 07-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Nitroaddict

GWR - I am also using that setup on my Formosa - just maidened her this weekend and wow what a performer. I made some mods, including dual airlerons, balsa control surfaces with monokote, and no landing gear. Here is my setup and some pics.

Himax 2015-4100 on C gearing with a APC 9x6 prop. 11.1v 1300mah lipo.

Old 07-18-2005, 02:28 PM
GWR

Mine has the stock, foam ailerons; they're working ok. I also use the 1 aileron servo set up. A GWS 9x7SF prop work good too. With a TP 1350 3cell it weighs exactly 1 lb and flies great. Not much for looks, but I don't build 'em to look at 'em.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37708.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	298635  
Old 07-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Nitroaddict

Hey - if it works, use it - How did you mount the GWS prop? They dont fit mine, unless I were to drill them out.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:42 PM
GWR

My HiMaxx 2015/4100 is mounted to a stock GWS gearbox so the GWS props aren't a problemAnd cheaper too[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] What gearbox you using[sm=confused.gif]
Old 07-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Nitroaddict

I am using the Himax blue aluminium gearbox with interchangable gears.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:51 PM
GWR

They're an exact copy of the GWS box, but aluminum[sm=sunsmiley.gif] Maybe the GWS shaft will fit [sm=idea.gif]or switch to the GWS box which is lighter
Old 07-19-2005, 02:13 PM
gwong
My Feedback: (1)

My Formosa setup is as follows,

Hacker A20-22L
APC 9x6 SF Prop
CC25 ESC
TP 2100mah 3S Lipo
3 HS56

Setup is drawing about 15A.

Flies okay for my skill level, vertical is good not explosive but good. More into learning Pattern Flying and not all out speed...after all the Formosa is a pattern plane.

I think the 2208/34 might be a little underpowered for the formosa unless you build it super light...here is a link for the motor.

http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?id=en&nc=produkty_vypis&kategorie=m_neodym_ac&id_rady=axi_22&id_produktu=axi_2208_34&nazev_rady=Series%20AXI%2022&hmotnost_rady=(24,5%20-%2057%20g)

Cheers,

Gord.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:12 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my Himax 2025-5300 with the MPI gear box at 4.4 ratio turning an APC 8x6 using a 3S. Its amazing ... that baby can really fly! Its unlimited vertical!!!
Old 07-20-2005, 03:17 PM
coolbean

Any of you guys run a formosa completly stock with the reccomended equipment? I do.. It's no fun.. The supplied 350 geard is gutless with a 9.6V. You can barely get a loop out of it. I am completly new to electric flight so I thought it would be like glow planes. You buy the reccomended equipment and get the performance the plane was designed for. If I knew it was going to cost just as much for a park flyer as it would for a glow plane.. I would have gone with the glow plane.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Nitroaddict

coolbean - stock GWS planes are hit and miss. Running brushless on these planes makes them come alive and I bet my formosa will keep up with many glow planes.

The stock powerplant is acceptable if you build the plane light enough. Lipoly cells are basically required in park flyers to get them light enough to fly right.

I had a GWS E-Starter for a long time running a stock 350 and an 8cell nimh pack, it would perform just like any other trainer.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:49 PM
coolbean

Considering the modifications that you made, i'm sure your fomosa is quite the performer. (It also looks fantastic BTW) But after dropping the cash for the battery pack (two of them actually, I tried an 8.4 and it wouldn't even gain altitude) speed controller and charger, then finding that if I want to make this thing perform the way I want to, none of that stuff is any good.. it just of upset me.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:55 PM
iceman3

Hi all

I am new to this forum and I have got a new Formosa slope glider version. At the store I was adviced to buy a brushless motor for it, and so I did. It was a Apache AP300 kv 4200 with 4,7:1 GWS gear. Since I havent heard about this motor before I just wondered if anyone else could tell if this is any good, and maybe some hints on what prop to use.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: coolbean

Any of you guys run a formosa completly stock with the reccomended equipment? I do.. It's no fun.. The supplied 350 geard is gutless with a 9.6V. You can barely get a loop out of it. I am completly new to electric flight so I thought it would be like glow planes. You buy the reccomended equipment and get the performance the plane was designed for. If I knew it was going to cost just as much for a park flyer as it would for a glow plane.. I would have gone with the glow plane.
Man, I used to think the same thing about the cost and stuff. I finally invested about $350 into my Formosa (including 2 3cell lipos) which IS about the same as a glow plane, but with a brushless 400 on the front this thing is such a ball to fly!! Think of it like this:

1) You can fly this plane dang near anywhere. I hand launch (actually just open my hand) and it takes less than 10 feet to land. I take with it me to the farm now, and put on airshows for my brother, nephew, etc. I flew it in the middle of the Dutton Montana Fun Day parade right on main street 2 weeks ago for cripes sake. The crowd loved it! Can't do that with glow. I flew it at my Wife's Grandma's little Cul-de-Sac a few weeks ago. The entire Cul-De-Sac came out to watch. The oohs and awws, applause after landing, what a hoot!

2) This plane has made me a gutsier/more confident glow pilot as well. I'm doing things now with my glow planes that I probably never would have attempted before. I never get out of 'practice' either, cause even 25 MPH wind doesn't stop me. The Formosa is the ONLY plane in my whole fleet that I would take out in over 15 MPH wind. Plus IT"S A BALL TO FLY IN THE WIND, more so than calm conditions, in my opinion.

3) Better to get in on the 'ground level' with electric understanding. Glow will always have a huge place in my hobby, but I really feel electric is the wave of the future. MAN just had a review on a 42% Bipe on LiPos. It hovered at half throttle! Prices will come down eventually, but don't discount the performance of a plane like this set up right.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:21 PM
coolbean

Well if I am going drop that kind of bread, I am going to buy a plane for my magnum .80 four stroke I have laying around.
Is there any park flyer that WILL fly well with a 9.6V AAA pack, 20A ESC and speed 400 direct drive?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:25 PM
iceman3

Coolbean

Have you tried the MPX Microjet? It flies very good with the included 400 motor.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:10 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coolbean - I ran my Formosa with the stock motor on 2S ... then 3S ... then brushless 2S then brushless 3S ... I learnt to do rolling circles on stock motor and 2S! What do you think? Its a nice plane but of course brusless makes the plane totally ALIVE. I say just get some lipoly ... you will enjoy her, but at 3S it can burn the motor if you are not careful.

Ice - I had the Microjet with the Zagi TAZZ brushless, some 10 turn motor turning a 5x5 at 20,000 RPM ... of this plane is like SILK!!! She flies fast and ever so well. Landings are a breeze, no stalls at a decent speed. She really needs to run on some 3 turn motor like the Mega ... then we are really talking.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:27 AM
Nitroaddict

coolbean - saw a stock Parkzone P-51 fly the other day with a stock 380 motor and an 8cell pack. Thing was very fast, I was impressed - looked great in the air too. Costs about 180.00 RTF.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:23 AM
iceman3

tianci

I have tried the Mega 16.15.3 motor and a TP210003sp on the microjet, but hand launching is a nightmare. Far to heavy, about 660grams, but very fast when in the air. I have bought a new brushless for my new SG Formosa, but haven`t heard of this before. I have got an Apache AP300 kv 4200 with 4,7:1 GWS gear. Is there anybody that knows if this will be a good setup for it?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:36 AM
mike tully

Coolbean,

Are you using the AAA size 8 cell packs? If so, then they can be a big part of the problem. For some reason GWS recommends these dogs. The 350 motor works well at about 9 amps in, but these cells can only really supply about 5 or 6. The KAN 650 cells are a bit heavier for their capacity, but can supply the juice needed for this aerobat. Lots of the "majic" of e-flight is in the proper selection of the motor/gear ratio/battery pack/prop package. If you have an optimum set-up, then changing just one of those things will require an offsetting change in at least one of the others. First thing to determine is if you have the AAA size cells. If you do, then you will have to replace them to get any performance at all. Then you will need to provide us with the gear ratio, which is denoted by the letter on the front of the big black spur gear. With that info, someone should have a recommendation for the optimum prop to use. GWS tends to throw whatever is in stock at the time into the boxes as far as gear ratio and props, so you can't count on the "stock" set-up as optimum.

That being said, you can't really complain about performance on a $40 airplance not being up to glow standards. My Formosa has a 200 watt brushless/lipoly power set up on it and costs little more than a comparable glow plane, yet will outperform any of my glow planes. It will do vertical rolls out of site in seconds, yet can be flown at the local schoolyard at 7am Sunday morning with no one even knowing I'm there.

Don't get discouraged. You can do some good flying on the stock motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.