Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

GP Super Sportster EP Brushless Recommendations?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

GP Super Sportster EP Brushless Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 07:34 PM
BusyBear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Super Sportster EP Brushless Recommendations?

What Brushless Set-ups are people using for the GP Super Sportster EP? This willl be my first brushless attemp...
Confusion factor is very High?? [sm=drowning.gif] Details please...
Old 08-29-2005, 07:52 PM
wattman

Default RE: GP Super Sportster EP Brushless Recommendations?

This is what I use , there are as many opinions for what to use ,as stars in the sky
My plane , I used a GP metric prop reamer to ream out the stock 12x10 prop , now at wot , static ,31 amps at the 12 +volts .
Anyway flying with the Himax 3630-780 brushlesss , 12x10 stock prop ,and the 3s2p TP 2100mah lipos , is fast enough for me , appox 15 min of flying and taxied till the castle Creations 35 amp esc shutoff at the 9 volt set point . So now I set my timer for 12 mins and then land , comfortable reserve for me .
I really really like this plane

oh yes it is nice that the prop adapter Himax supplies with the motor fits inside the stock supplied spinner from GP so the spinner works well with this mod also

Good Luck
Old 09-17-2005, 07:37 AM
preich

ORIGINAL: wattman

This is what I use , there are as many opinions for what to use ,as stars in the sky
My plane , I used a GP metric prop reamer to ream out the stock 12x10 prop , now at wot , static ,31 amps at the 12 +volts .
Anyway flying with the Himax 3630-780 brushlesss , 12x10 stock prop ,and the 3s2p TP 2100mah lipos , is fast enough for me , appox 15 min of flying and taxied till the castle Creations 35 amp esc shutoff at the 9 volt set point . So now I set my timer for 12 mins and then land , comfortable reserve for me .
I really really like this plane

oh yes it is nice that the prop adapter Himax supplies with the motor fits inside the stock supplied spinner from GP so the spinner works well with this mod also

Good Luck
What gearbox are you using with this set-up?
Old 09-18-2005, 11:35 AM
wattman

No gearbox , it is direct drive , and the supplied prop adapter that comes with the Himax motor fits inside the stock GP spinner , so it all works together
Old 09-26-2005, 09:23 AM
Berenger81

Hi folks, I'm using a hacker B40-8L motor with a 4.4:1 planetary gearbox, fed by 8-cell GP 3300 mAh Ni-Mh batteries, takes off like it's on fire and you can slow down as much as you want, the prop is an APC 12x8 Thin electric. I'm just doing the initial tests and will keep you posted on the readings and some photographies.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:57 PM
preich

I've built the GP SS EP with the stock power system, ie, Thrustmaster 550, 2:1 GB, 12X10E prop, 7 cell 2100mAh NiCd. At our grass field it would not ROG. With a hand launch it did fly reasonably well. Albeit docile, loops and rolls (not vertical rolls) were possible. Flight times ranged 4-6 minutes Max. This experience tracks well with MotoCalc predictions done prior to purchasing the kit, so I knew what I was buying, no surprises. It bothers me that GP would kit such a god quality airframe with such an anemic power system. But, I guess they were kitting for a specific price range and that WAS accomplished. Other than a few complaints about hardware where GP promptly sent out a complete hardware package, no charge, I have no other complaints. Of particular issue was the prop adapter. The first one was out of spec on the thread OD and the nut thread ID causing it to pull the threads off the shaft with only moderate torque applied. After I mic'ed the replacement, I decided to turn one myself out of some hex aluminum stock that I had laying around, as the replacement was not much better than the original. I incorporated a set screw instead of the collet arrangement originally designed and the hex allows you to eliminate the pin used for tightening. I cut a flat wrench out of some flat 16ga hot rolled steel material to use to hold the adapter while tightening the prop nut. I also turned the prop shaft a full 1/4" and threaded it 28 tpi to use standard prop nuts. (the originals are 6mm) I also added a 2" aluminum spinner. I don't like plastic spinners and I particularly didn't like the matching red one. No enough contrast.

I then purchased a GP S-600R (GPMG0715, $32.99) motor and 2.5:1 gear box (GPMG0850, $12.99) and Dave Brown 2-1/2" LW foam wheels. MotoCalc predicts this set-up with a 12X8 prop will give me 7:07 minutes at 81% power setting at 34 mph. This is an order of magnitude better than the stock system; it should now ROG on grass field (with the bigger wheels and pants removed) and extend flight time slightly. This upgrade took me about 2 hours to install. I moved the motor mount as far back as I could (right to the 45 deg mount bracing) and drilled new holes maintaining the same 2 deg right thrust as designed. I had to cut a 1/4 moon section out of the firewall opening to allow clearance for the brush holder assembly. The stock 7 cell battery stick now just fits between the motor and a ply stop I had installed to keep the battery from shifting rearward and/or interfering with the aileron servo. As soon as hurricane Rita moves on and the weather clears up, I'll test fly this set-up.

My next move will be to LiPo power. I have a 2 cell 1500mAh battery that I use in another park flyer. I intend on buying another and wiring the two in parallel with a parallel connection header board. MotoCalc predicts this set-up will extend flight time to 13:08 at the lighter weight and at the same speed and power settings.

From that point, a decision will have to be made. My original intent for this plane was for a "3rd" plane that I could grab quickly and fly whenever the opportunity came up, maybe even in the back yard. I've since ruled out the backyard scenario as the flight speeds and glide/landing/takeoff distances required for this plane exceed my available space, even though I have 86 acres to play with.

With that in mind, I think that any more performance gain would have to be a brushless/LiPo combination. I think this is about the farthest you can go with cheap brushed power. Maybe one of the high end cobalt brushed motors would get you more, but not much more.

From a performance/flight duration viewpoint, a direct drive Himax HB3630-0780 swinging somewhere around a 10X6 to 11X7 prop with a 3s2p 3100mAh LiPo looks attractive.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:13 PM
byrocat

Time for an update. Any one tried any of the Hobby King brushless motors (Thurnigy) and what were the results?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:16 AM
DeadStick Dave

I use Hyperion Z-3013-14 with E-flite 40 amp ESC andan APC e 12x6 Prop with a 3s 2100 battery.  Has unlimited vertical.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:17 AM
TheRCFlyer1

ORIGINAL: byrocat

Time for an update. Any one tried any of the Hobby King brushless motors (Thurnigy) and what were the results?

Iam looking to get this same plane with a Turnigy motor from Hobby King. Iam also curious if anyone has used a Turnigy motor.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:23 PM
LuckyArmpit

I'm running mine on an eflite power 10 outrunner. I run 3S 2100's and use a CC 54 amp esc.
Had to mod the motor mount to accept the outrunner. Unfortunately, the thrustline is a little lower than the stock but the plane flies great!!!!!

Lucky...