Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone have the Goldberg Chipmunk 400?

Does anyone have experience with this plane? Good, bad?
    Looks really nice.

EDIT: Oops, guess it's not out yet. Tower says late Nov. Anyone plan on buying it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Anyone have the Goldberg Chipmunk 400?

I ordered one based on the assumption that they would be in late Sept. I hope it will fly somewhere between my tigermoth 400 and my mini funtana.I took aerobatic lessons from Art Scholl back in the late 70s so the chipmunk has always been one of my favorates.By the way, am I the only one upset the way these guys will change the in stock date constantly. Its been advertised for quite some time now!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, I know what you mean by the stock date. It really sucks. I know the GP parkflyer foam Corsair and Hellcat have been advertised for awhile and were due in stock by Oct, now it says Dec.

What power setup do you plan on using? I was thinking Himax, maybe direct-drive, still not sure.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I might use the warp4 cobri gearbox combo that I have in my mini funtana.The funtana is a great flying plane but not all that good for the baseball diamond that I fly from.It goes like a rocket ship but scares me with all the dogs kids etc running around.Besides,I have an ultrafly extra that is giving me enough to handle! I just hope that it has a stick mount so that I can use the cobri gearbox.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Miine came in..

I'll be using a Himax 2025-4200, not sure what batteries yet.. Either Vampower 2250's or 1700's..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine is just about ready for maiden. Should finish tomorrow. So far the build has been stress free. I hope it flies as good as it looks...............CDP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone put an outrunner on this plane? Is it possible to keep the same thrust angle on the stick mount and keep the cowl centered? All the outrunners I have seen have the shaft slightly lower than a gear drive. Looks bad coming out of a cowl at the wrong spot!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was going to use an outrunner till I got the plane. The trust angle is quite severe on this model, I went with the suggested setup and still it is not perfectly straight in the cowl. The other reason is the clearence inside the cowl. Looking at mine with an AXI, I was going to half to cut the cowl to let the top of the motor rotate freely. I am sure there is a way, I just didn't want to modify the plane and have to wait that much longer to fly it. If you find a way let me know I am planning on building another with more power this summer(AXI 2820) I agree on the lowered prop shaft looking bad...........................CDP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cobri 28 does not fit.Cowl cannot be centered with prop shaft.Will have to take out a cobri20 out of my ultrafly extra and check alignment.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Update: Flew her for the first time yesterday flew like a dog.................I think the CG if off, even though it is where they said it should be. I am going to push the battery forward next time out and see. It kept going nose up and flew very unstable. I was going try it the same day but after fighting it to the ground my nerves were shot..........GW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56545.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	380034  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just picked one up two days ago. I haven't flown if yet, but got my HiMax 850 kv to line up using an E-Flight adaptor to get the thrust lines corrected. Anyone have any suggestions on the best CG setup for this plane?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, no CG help : ( I am taking it out at lunch time today. I have the CG slightly forward of what they recommend and the throws set to 65%, just in case. My Himax motor will almost go verticle with this plance from my hands, so power should be no problem. Hope for the best! I will post tomorrow.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good luck, I would have responded but I haven't had a chance to fly mine with the CG forward of spec yet, and didn't want to be the cause of anyone looseing a plane because of bad advice. Let me know how it goes....................GW

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My chipmunk flew great with the CG right where they recommended. I have a 850 kv HiMax outrunner in it with a 9 x 7 prop and it will go verticle no problem. It handles great, but does balloon a little in high wind because of the flat wings. It really looks great on the ground and in the air. Very solid construction and easy to put together. A 1320 LiPol fits perfect right behind the firewall and balances the plance nicely. I have had the when covers crack twice this weekend. They don't seem to be very solid, but that's the only problem.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got mine for Xmas, only one that came into the LHS and my son in law grabbed it before there was even a price tag on it.

I got to see Art Scholl fly this bird in 2 Airshows at Point Mugu in the late 60's. It was awesome, and he sure could put it through it's paces. Most of the show you were on the edge of your seat he flew so low, and did manuevers that you were sure he was going to touch the ground. A real showman.

The model went together well, and seems like it should be a good flyer. The high aspect wing should contribute to it being very stable. Motor was very close fit, but by carefully aligning to the provided/installed motor stick, got it centered with clearance and no rubbing. Waiting for good weather to maiden it.

Motor AXI 2212/34 - May change to a 2212/20 for a bit more AMPS and go to a 9 inch prop.
    Prop APC 10/7E Slo Flyer
    Electrifly 25 AMP ESC - Overkill, but large margin of safety
    Battery Pack 3s-1p Lipoly (900, 1030, 1500 MAH packs available)
    Weight ready to fly 18 Oz.
    Static Thrust WOT 18-21 Oz.
    Static Current Draw - WOT 8 AMPS
    Watts/Lb 72
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk25439.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	393444   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh15111.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	393445  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What kind of flight times do you get with your setup? I have a Mega Motors Speed 400 and 25 ESC looking for a home. I'm currently running a 1500 mAh NiMh battery and the flight times aren't that great. I want to switch to LiPo but I'm looking for long flight times, 15 min and above. Any suggestions?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I get about 12 minutes using a 1320 LiPo unless it's windy and about 18 minutes using a 2100 LiPo.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hello from belgium. Thanks for comments. I'll choose for my chipmunk 400 a himax 2812-0850 (outrunner) or a himax 2025-5366kv inrunner with 6.6/1 reductor. Can anyone help me with this choice? an lipo 2s or lipo 3s ? thanks for opinions .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the larger Hyperion Super Chipmunk 70e and wanted a smaller version. Hyperion makes the 10e which is the same size as the Golberg 400 version but I opted for the Goldberg just because I have never owned / built a Goldberg product and wanted to see what they were like.

I wish I had bought the Hyperion 10e. In comparison to the Hyperion products I have built, this Goldberg is crap. My particular airframe was littered with bubbles. I was only able to reduce the number of bubbles with my iron marginally. The fit and finish of the parts was nothing to write home about. The canopy fit and latch system was an insult. From what I have been reading about Goldbergs customer service, or lack of it, I would highly recommend the Hyperion. The quality is way better.

However, it does fly very well. Mine is set up with a Himax 2015-5400 reduced through a Himax 6.6:1 gearbox, a Thunderbird 18 esc , 9x4.7 prop and polyquest 1800 mah battery. ( almost identical to the set up on e-flightline.com and their Hyperion ) Getting the power system to fit within the cowl took some patience and adjustment with an evetual very small cut in the cowl to allow for gear movement in the event the cowl shifted at all. I am pulling about 12 to 14 amps and the plane flies like a stock super chipmunk. It will not give you unlimited vertical or the ability to hover but the full scale version couldn't either. It looks awesome in a low high speed pass and the motor/gear system sounds really good. Almost as if it had a merlin engine under the cowl.

I initially did not like the quality out of the box but since then, this is one of my favorites. If you fly off grass however, this is not the plane you want. The gear is just too small. Not just the wheels, the entire gear set up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi maxc,

I've just purchased the Hyperion Chippy 70e and I'm looking around for info. I'll be using my HP 4025-12 with a 14x8 prop on 6S 4000mAh. ESC is Hyperion too : 80A cool bec 4A on 6S.

How is your setup?

Happy flying
    Paul