Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Art-Tech / Parkflyers Edge 540T radio question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Art-Tech / Parkflyers Edge 540T radio question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 03:43 PM
netdudeuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Art-Tech / Parkflyers Edge 540T radio question

Is it possible to fully re-use the radio equipment supplied with this model ? For example, with one of the GWS or Alpha warbirds ?

Do we know what the ESC is rated at ?

Will the transmitter and receiver work with other brands of ESC (ie more powerful) and servo (ie larger) ?

How about the flight battery ?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2005, 06:02 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Art-Tech / Parkflyers Edge 540T radio question

You should be able to use the equipment with other 4-channel planes. The HS-51 servo is a direct replacement.
I don't know if the receiver will work with other equipment -- you can always try it out.

The Cessna 182 ESC is rated at 50 Amps (I think this is a little exagerated) and the Edge 540T is rated at 18 Amps.

I've been using the Edge 540T battery with my Parkzone Typhoon and have used the Cessna 182 battery with my Parkzone Stryker.

Hope this helps out.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:38 PM
netdudeuk

I thought that it would be you who responded :-) I've previously read your comments about your own Edge. I was going to get a Stryker tomorrow following on from using the ABX. However, I've found the Edge at the LHS and thought that I could give it a go. Maybe you would be able to answer a few questions ?

Is it easier to hand launch than the ABX ? That always needed a hard push and then it still dipped down before it started to climb.

Once it has gained some height, can it be slowed RIGHT down (slower than an ABX gliding with no wind) ? Being new to four channels it would be better to fly slower.

Have you seen Get Real's videos ? They make the model look pretty cool. The silver canopy and the undercarriage just finish it off. Do you know what he used for the latter ?

What about build quality ? I've seen the Cessna fuse and thought that it looked pretty cheap. Is the Edge the same type of material ?

Did you mean the Hitec HS-81 ? I cannot find any mention of the HS-51.

How robust does it seem ?

Are you pleased with it ?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2005, 09:33 AM
jmir

[quote]ORIGINAL: netdudeuk

I thought that it would be you who responded :-) I've previously read your comments about your own Edge. I was going to get a Stryker tomorrow following on from using the ABX. However, I've found the Edge at the LHS and thought that I could give it a go. Maybe you would be able to answer a few questions ?

Is it easier to hand launch than the ABX ? That always needed a hard push and then it still dipped down before it started to climb.

>>> I'm not familiar with the ABX but hand launching is no problem at all. Just go full throttle and it just takes off with a slight push.

Once it has gained some height, can it be slowed RIGHT down (slower than an ABX gliding with no wind) ? Being new to four channels it would be better to fly slower.

>>> Yes, I usually fly mine at 1/2 throttle. Let it gain altitude while flying straight, then slow it down, turn, etc.

Have you seen Get Real's videos ? They make the model look pretty cool. The silver canopy and the undercarriage just finish it off. Do you know what he used for the latter ?

>>> Yes, he has changed the motor to a gear driven one and it now flies a lot faster -- I'll be making the same modification in the future. I don't know what he used for the undercarriage.

What about build quality ? I've seen the Cessna fuse and thought that it looked pretty cheap. Is the Edge the same type of material ?

>>> I believe is basically the same type of material. I did cover mine with clear packing tape which has made it much stronger without adding appreciable weight. I also covered the inside of the cowl with tape since it could easily break on a crash.

Did you mean the Hitec HS-81 ? I cannot find any mention of the HS-51.

>>> Yes, I meant the HS-81, although the HS-55 also fits.

How robust does it seem ?

>>> Not very robust in stock form, but quite strong if you cover main areas with clear packing tape.

Are you pleased with it ?

>>> Overall, yes, I'm pleased with it. However, the stock motor is not strong enough to hover. Also, it's very squirly -- that is, responds very quickly to any slight input. It takes a while to learn how to control it, so you better let it fly high so you can recover from any mistakes. I've learned how to control it well and I'm very comfortable when flying it. It would be nice to have included HI/LO rate feature. I'm considering replacing the receiver with the one used in the Typhoon for that reason. Also, I replaced the wheels with 2" light foam wheels so I can take off and land easily on grass.

>>> I also own a Parkzone Typhoon which I enjoy very much. I don't think I would have purchased the Edge 540 if I already owned a Typhoon. Nevertheless, I still fly both of them each time I go to the field. (I bought the Edge in July, the Typhoon did not come out until October)

>>> By the way, you can now buy the airframe for around $85 if you have your own electronics and servos and then use the motor that Get Real is using (around $70). It would make an awsome plane.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:36 AM
jmir

Forgot to mention it, but I also fly a Stryker 27-B and it's awsome, all in stock form, no mods.
Lots of fun and easier to control than the Edge 540 (again, dual rates).