Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Mini edge 540 to Glow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 06:16 PM
CT.Chopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini edge 540 to Glow?

Hi,
i was wondering about putting a O.S .15 LA
into the new Mini Egge instead of the brushless 400...

has this been done?
Old 12-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Craig c

Default RE: Mini edge 540 to Glow?

Chopper, I have the mini edge 540, with a Golden Horizon brushless motor in it, running through an "H" GWS 400 gearbox, turning a 9X9 APC prop. I use 1800 and 2100 3s packs. At this power level, I am really taxing the airframe and have pulled the motor stick and firewal loose several times. I can easily imagine that a small amount of fuel saturation, coupled with some vibration from a gas motor, should make for a truly exciting crash, if that is your goal. So my vote would be against this. This is one impressive performer, with the above mentioned power system and can hold it's own with just about anything at the flying field, you might find the electric solution more to your liking.

Craig.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Bevo

I have built and flown the Mini Edge and I used a Himax 2816-1220 and it has a lot of power. Full vertical climb at full throttle. I have heard of people putting a .10 or .15 on the Mini Funtana. Some people liked it and then others thought it was really squirrelly. AP makes some small engines that are good too.

Bevo
Old 01-08-2006, 07:38 PM
I_Fly_Coolers
My Feedback: (7)

Old 01-09-2006, 04:17 AM
Get Real

i have the mini edge 540 also.. with todays lipo technology and brushless motors it rivals and in some cases surpasses nitro power in similar sized planes. ive seen 90 size funtanas powered with outrunners and lipos that have such acceleration and vertical its sick. i havent seen any conversions on the edge but there are some on the mini funtana/from what ive seen they used .15 nitro power. do a search on google.. theres also some pics on rcu if you do a search on the funtana in member pics. dont get me wrong.. i really like modification and doing things others havent tryed . good luck and pics and video of your results would be awesome.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:18 AM
Get Real

i have the mini edge 540 also.. with todays lipo technology and brushless motors it rivals and in some cases surpasses nitro power in similar sized planes. ive seen 90 size funtanas powered with outrunners and lipos that have such acceleration and vertical its sick. i havent seen any conversions on the edge but there are some on the mini funtana/from what ive seen they used .15 nitro power. do a search on google.. theres also some pics on rcu if you do a search on the funtana in member pics. dont get me wrong.. i really like modification and doing things others havent tryed . good luck and pics and video of your results would be awesome.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:49 AM
Dav0012

Just letting you's know i have just converted this mini edge to glow with a thunder tigre .15 and after 30 or so flights, i see no signs of trouble... go with the conversion, not quite sure bout those weak la's tho :P i prefer the fx/ax have fun.
Fly's like an abosolute dream, close to comparisons with my 40 sized models and also, you can slow this plane right off for landing/flying and i have no signs of bad tipstalling tendencies, just drops its nose, but honestly it is an awesome combination, not unlim vert, maybe diff prop might help, but yes its a very good muck around plane , although.. just watch out for glitches, ive had hella trouble trying to stop glitching with it, strange.. my dad holds plane in air for range check, no worries... puts it on ground starts chattering... hmm ohh well flew it anyhow, its great fun..
Old 11-21-2006, 06:31 PM
bzyguy01

Think that you're going a step backwards to convert to nitro on this plane as it will fly above and beyond most in its class with brushless and lipo technology. Yeah it's alittle expensive at first to go lipo, but the plane ROCKS with unlimmited vertical and killer top speed and never has a problem slowing for easy landings. I run an eflite 480 outrunner with a castle 45 esc and a thunder power 2100 11.1 volt lipo. Killer setup. A better 3d setup would be a himax 2025 on a gearbox with a 1500 mah lipo for weight savings and better hovers. My 2 cents......