Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Mini Ultra Stick

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:07 PM
sgf323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini Ultra Stick

Hmmm... I've got a 450 PNP downstairs that I've never ran with. I got the MUS PNP and the ESC was bad out of the box. While waiting for a replacement I decided to buy a ESC/Motor from the LHS in case the motor had caued the ESC to go bad in the first place. As it turns out the motor is fine and I plan on using it in my P-47.

I'll have to bench test the 450 PNP with my eLogger and see how it fairs against the Park 450.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:19 PM
lowwpassjr

16 amps WOT with the 11x7 on a pnp450 and a 20c battery
Old 02-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Adrians flyer

ORIGINAL: wedgewing

Adrians flyer

lots of choices. I think the wheels that come with the MUS are a little whimpy for the grass I land in so I went out and found MPI brand wheels 2.5 inch. I bought them at a LHS, but I am attaching a description from a link

http://aeromicro.com/Catalog/mpi_ind...0__3045117.htm

I have also used the 3 inch wheels. benefits here is that they are more of a sport wheel with a narrow profile and they may sound like they are larger but the work great and you also have a little better prop clearance. I called them tundra tires because I can land in just about anything with them and not tear a nylon landing gear screw.

when it comes to snow, I guess you have to go with skis, but my caldesac is plowed so I land there or the parking lot at the field I fly at. I have the 3 inch tires on the Electrifly 330s that my son flies (i land) and they are great. does not detract from flight. I am not blessed with a prepared landing surface where the stock tires would do well in. they are OK but my grass gets a little longer and I snap the nylon bolts more than I want to if the wheels catch.

so far, these have been very nice

KP
Well I'll be darned. I've got the same wheels on my E-flite Jenny. It never made it through the mental limestone that I could have used them on the MUS Many thanks.

Bruce
Old 02-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Adrians flyer

ORIGINAL: sgf323

11x7 on a PNP?!? Have you metered it? I've got a 10x7SF on my Park 450 and at WOT with a new battery I'm pulling 18 amps. I haven't tested it with my 10x8 yet. With a 11x7 you've got to be over-amping that motor.... Although, if you're not then I'll have to pick up one of those props!
I use the 10X7e on mine, and it stays well below maximum amps. I have the PNP version with the stock 22 amp (never seen it before or since) and I've flown lots of good flights with it. I'll include a link to a couple of the videos I shot with the FlyCam One (one ounce worth of weight) and my old ThunderPower 2100mah pack.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/MFL1B17YRTLTXNJ8

and

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/8STMNFSKW8XLYYD1

No it isn't the extreme flying you see from Doc Austin or some of the other guys who have the "insane" set up, but it works well for me. As Dirty Harry once said, "a man's got to know his limitations". I'm not afraid to admit that I probably don't possess the thumb control to master the hotter "insane" set, but hey that's just one old fart's opinion.

Bruce
Old 02-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Adrians flyer

As it turns out the motor is fine and I plan on using it in my P-47.

I got the P-47 and dumped the whole geared/brushed setup and stuck a 480 E-flite motor in it. I run the same 10X7e prop that I use on the MUS. It doesn't even have to be thrown to launch, just run up the throttle and let it go and it shoots upstairs very quickly. Sorry for the crosspost, but my two most used a/c are my MUS and my P-47.

Bruce
Old 02-08-2008, 01:06 AM
theskunk

So, i figured i'd chime in and say that on an 1800mah 20C im pulling 18amps at WOT on a 12x3.8 with my x2212/15 (eastrc.org if you're interested)
Old 02-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Adrians flyer

That's cool, do you get fairly long flights if you use a little throttle management???

Bruce
Old 02-08-2008, 09:50 PM
theskunk

haven't figured that out yet -- only done 3 flights thus far... We'll find out more after sunday!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:48 AM
wedgewing

Where about do you have your CG set? Mine is about a pencil width behind the wing spar but I feel like I should still be able to move it back further. If I'm measuring right, I'm right around the recommended spot.

Also, how does your MUS fly inverted? When I fly inverted I have to give it a little bit down elevator to keep it from losing altitude too quickly. Is that normal?
sgf323

Sounds like we have very similar set ups. I have been moving mine back from that slowly by marking a spot on the battery tray when I strap it in. When I was more weight forward, I found it almost impossible to maintain inverted because my elevator throws were too low and I had been trimming for all that nose weight. Now with things in better balance, and max throws set on the elevator (and light thumb on the stick) I think I only have to place a small amount of pressure on the down elevator while inverted and i think it is just my mind reminding me "not to pull up" if something goes whacky.

this wing design lifts well inverted and upright. You may find that you have a little up trim on your plane in the elevator that will work in opposition once you go inverted and therefore you have to place forward pressure on the stick. if it is a little, then you should be fine. I am still working to find the perfect balance and right now behind the spar is making it fly inverted with little pressure except when entering inverted to counteract the loss of lift that naturally occurs in the roll to get you there. You may want to give a hair up elevator prior to entering the inverted and you will start off level and may find you don't need the forward stick as much

Tough lately for me to test any of these settings lately with the winds we have been having. I am just happy to get it back to the ground after playing around in the gusts. Must fly at least once every month including winter

KP
Old 02-11-2008, 09:50 PM
GoldKraft

I finally got mine rebiult.....now Im waiting for a reciever for it. Im putting an Atlas 480 motor inside the firewall ....should help get the CG back alittle more ....Im shooting for a 1/2 inch behind the spar.

Im going to go with 60% on the low rates for aileron with 20% expo on high and low. Full rates only on elev and rudder with 20% expo. Ive dialed up some spoiler and flap on the flap switch....starting out with about 20% and see what happens. These DX7 options are great.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:02 PM
JayDizzl879

Great thread! With a year of helis under my belt, I decided that it was time to see what fixed wing is all about. I didn't want a trainer and I've always liked the Stick. Once I saw EFlite's Mini Ultra Stick, it was a no-brainer.

I bought the PNP version as I wanted the cheapest, fastest way into the air. I added a Deans connector to the speed controller, a ParkBEC, and an AR6100e. I also installed nylon 4-40 bolts on the landing gear before the first flight.

The first flight was on Sunday using an Align 2100mAh 20c battery. It was my very first time flying an RC airplane so I was a little tense, especially about the landing. The plane flew beautifully and the landings were darn near perfect (thank you, FMS). I flew four more flights today. In addition to the Align 2100 20c, I also flew with a Loong Max 1300mAh 20c. The PNP450 has plenty of power for me at the moment, but it does sound a little funky at high throttle. I will fly this motor for a while, but I'm sure that ultimately I'll upgrade power plants. But for now, the PNP450 is the Jazz.

I did have two landings today that sheared the nylon bolts, but I bought all of the 4-40s they had at the hardware store, so I'm well stocked.

I can see why this plane isn't recommended for beginners. If it weren't for my heli experience, I would have crashed it for sure. I'm using full throws and only 15% expo on the ailerons. It's a bit wild but that's how I like it. After a few minutes, I started to get the feel for it. I look forward to flying it more and getting more comfortable with it. Though, todays flights proved that this is a trustworthy airplane that loves its job. I think that this is the start of a beautiful friendship.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:13 PM
JayDizzl879

Woops, Double post.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:59 AM
OldFart1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, maidened mine today (phew!). Park 480-1020, 11x7E, quad flap build. Didn't have a chance to play with the E-F mix, but did try out flap/elevator coupling (like a drill motor on rolls on high rates) and airbrake (need to program out the elevator in that Pmix - I accidentally had UP)

Still need to develop one last Pmix in the 9C so I can get the airbrakes set proportional to throttle (running manual now) but I think it's a winner. Put slightly over 1000mah back into the lipo after about 7 minutes.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:32 PM
GoldKraft

ORIGINAL: OldFart1

Well, maidened mine today (phew!). Park 480-1020, 11x7E, quad flap build. Didn't have a chance to play with the E-F mix, but did try out flap/elevator coupling (like a drill motor on rolls on high rates) and airbrake (need to program out the elevator in that Pmix - I accidentally had UP)

Still need to develop one last Pmix in the 9C so I can get the airbrakes set proportional to throttle (running manual now) but I think it's a winner. Put slightly over 1000mah back into the lipo after about 7 minutes.

I want to set up quad flaps using my DX7...anyone have a clue as to how tho set this up on a DX7?
Old 03-22-2008, 11:20 PM
OldFart1

Gold - let me ask my flying buddy - he has quad flaps set for his, and is using the DX-7
Old 03-23-2008, 08:44 AM
GoldKraft

Gold - let me ask my flying buiddy - he has quad flaps setr for his, and is using the DX-7

Thanks, suppose I could figure it out but its not that simple without a glider mode setup option.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:17 AM
wedgewing

It is a challenge to set up, and here is what worked for me to allow the inner surfaces to perform as flaps, and outside as ailerons. you may want to use this while someone finds the holy grail for our Dx7s

PROG Mix 2

Gear -> AUX2 ON
Rate +100%
+100%

SW: on

Prog. Mix 4

ELEV -> AUX2 ON
Rate: 0%
+10%

Prog. Mix5
AILE -> Gear On
Rate +100%
+100%

Prog. Mix 6
AILE -> AUX2 On
Rate: -100%
-100%

I had to use a Y harness and switch the servo arm side to get it to work, but it did the job and I set the FLAP SYS menu to Norm = 0%, Mid = 50%, and land = 120%. I use the three position (Flap Mix) switch and never really ever had to use the Land setting to have it come in at a very slow speed.

this gets you "close" but I have sealed up the spaces between the surfaces, and fly without the flaps. As you become more confident in moving the CG back with this plane, it does a lot more in the air and I have also found that I can trim it on final to come in at a nice angle and bring it in fairly slow for landings.

if someone ever does contribute the perfect flap set ups for the DX7, I would be interested as well.

This set up above worked as a band aid

Good luck

KP
Old 03-23-2008, 11:27 AM
OldFart1

There's a way to do it without the "Y" harness - John has his set up that way - I'll bug him for how. I have mine set up for crow, E-F coupling (actually E-"outer ailerons thinking they're flaps" coupling) and coupled ailerons and flaps (gives you full length ailerons, on high rates it looks likle a drill motor).

I'd share my programming - but I run a Spekrumized 9C
Old 03-23-2008, 05:24 PM
wedgewing

without the extra 2 channels, the crow promise is a far one as I have found out skulking the web for a set up that allows it on the DX7.

I have floated the question out there as well looking for the set up that allows an effective crow set up using DX7 but it seems to be a tree that falls in the woods
Old 03-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Adrians flyer

ORIGINAL: wedgewing

I had to use a Y harness and switch the servo arm side to get it to work, but it did the job and I set the FLAP SYS menu to Norm = 0%, Mid = 50%, and land = 120%. I use the three position (Flap Mix) switch and never really ever had to use the Land setting to have it come in at a very slow speed.

this gets you "close" but I have sealed up the spaces between the surfaces, and fly without the flaps. As you become more confident in moving the CG back with this plane, it does a lot more in the air and I have also found that I can trim it on final to come in at a nice angle and bring it in fairly slow for landings.

if someone ever does contribute the perfect flap set ups for the DX7, I would be interested as well.

This set up above worked as a band aid

Good luck

KP
Well I"ve taken your advice about the engine upgrade from a 450 to a 480. Makes it a little more nose heavy, but the brute hp is worth it I think. The other mod was to take my tax return and stimulate the local economy of the LHS and upgrade to Spektrum DX7. Had 7 a/c to get receivers for but the new capabilities are definetly worth it. Also not having those antenna wires dangling anymore is nice. Coolest thing is the mixing function. Got my ailerons set up now with the three position switch. Up for Spoilerons, center for standard Aileron function, and down for Flaperons. Makes for the biggest jump in what I can do with this a/c. I've been able to harrier land in during mild winds (10-15 mph) and can take off at 60% throttle in about 4 feet! I've also finally been able to get it to do a real, high speed, flat spin! Gotta be high for that one but it really looks wicked. Thanks for your suggestions. 6 brand new FlightPower 2170 batteries, and 2008 looks to be a very good year.

Bruce
Old 03-23-2008, 09:14 PM
GoldKraft

There's a way to do it without the "Y" harness - John has his set up that way - I'll bug him for how. I have mine set up for crow, E-F coupling (actually E-"outer ailerons thinking they're flaps" coupling) and coupled ailerons and flaps (gives you full length ailerons, on high rates it looks likle a drill motor).

I'd share my programming - but I run a Spekrumized 9C
Yep...thats what Im looking for....as is wedgewing I suppose....Crow plus the ability to couple A/F for full length ailerons. I did find the following which is suppose to work with the DX7 if you can figure it out?

Programming Guide for the JR XP7202 for the Hangar 9 Ultra Stick
To start with, plug your servos into the correct channels. Below is a listing of what servo to plug into each channel. You will need a 7-channel receiver to use the full set up that the 7202 is capable of doing with the Ultra Stick.
Ch. 1 Throttle Ch. 5 Left Aileron (Listed as Gear Channel on Receiver)
Ch. 2 Right Aileron Ch. 6 Right Flap (Listed as Aux 1 on Receiver)
Ch. 3 Elevator Ch. 7 Left Flap (Listed as Aux 2 on Receiver)
Ch. 4 Rudder
System Set-Up Mode
To begin setting up the transmitter, press and hold the down and select keys, and turn the 7202 on, then release the down and select keys.
Model Selection
Press the up or down key until Model Select is on the top of the screen, and select the model you want the ultra stick on by pressing the increase or decrease key.
Model Reset
Press the up key and scroll through the menu options until you get to Model Reset. With the arrow pointing at data reset, press the clear key.
Model Type Selection
Press the down key until you get to the Type Select function. Press the increase or decrease button until the arrow points at ACRO. If you change this from heli, it will then request you to press the clear key to say yes to change the model type.
Modulation Selection
Set the modulation as needed to match your receiver by pressing the up key to get to the Modulation function, and select the modulation needed by pressing the increase or decrease keys.
Input Select Set Up
Press the up key until you get to the Input Select function. With the arrow pointing at Aux2, press the increase key until it says INH next to Aux2. Press the select key and the arrow should now point at
Aux2 Trim, this should say INH, if it does not, press the increase key until it does. Press the select key again and the arrow should point at Flap. This should say SYSTEM, if it says something else, press the increase key until this says SYSTEM. Press the select key, and the arrow should now point at flap trim. Press the increase key to set this to INH
This completes the system set up mode, press the down and select keys to exit the system mode. Do not activate flaperon in the wing type menu for this set up. All settings in the wing type menu will remain at the default setting of OFF.
Function Mode
Next we will set up the function mode of transmitter. When you first turn the system on, the system will request you to confirm the channel of operation by pressing the clear key. Once you have confirmed the proper channel and have insured that no one else is on your frequency, press the clear key to use the system. Press the up and select keys together to enter the function list. After completing each step below, press the up and select keys to get back to the function list. To enter a function below from the list on the system, press the down and select keys together with the arrow pointing at that function.
Dual Aileron Set Up
To set up the dual ailerons, we will set up a program mix. We will use program mix 5 for this purpose. Enter program mix 5. Press the increase key until the first channel says AILE. Then press the select key to make the arrow point at the second channel, then press the increase key until the second channel says GEAR. Press the select key to make the arrow point at RATE, then hold left aileron and press the increase key until the percentage says +100%. Then hold right aileron and press the increase key until the second percentage says +100% as well. Both values should say +100%. Next to SW on the screen it should say ON. If it says something other than ON, press the select key to make the arrow point at SW, and press the increase key until it says ON.
Dual Flap Set Up
To set up the dual flaps, we will set up a program mix. We will use program mix 6 for this purpose. Enter program mix 6. Press the increase key until the first channel says FLAP. Then press the select key to make the arrow point at the second channel, then press the increase key until the second channel says AUX2. Press the select key to make the arrow point at RATE, then press the increase key until the percentage says +100%. Then flip the flap switch until the arrow moves to the second mix value, and press the increase key until the second percentage says +100% as well. Both values should say +100%. Next to SW on the screen it should say ON, if it says something other than ON, press the select key to make the arrow point at SW, and press the increase key until it says ON.
Dual Rates and Expo
Set your Dual Rates and Expo as you desire. Enter the D/R & EXP function. Set these as desired. Always use a positive value for expo, as a negative value will make the control response more sensitive around center and could cause you to over control the plane and crash. 30 percent expo on aileron, and
25% on elevator and rudder is recommended to start with. Set your low rates around 70% to start with, and change to your tastes.
Servo Reversing
Set your servo reversing correctly so that each surface goes the correct direction. Do this by entering the REV SW. function. Press select to choose the channel to reverse if needed, and press increase or decrease to reverse the current channel selected. If the flaps go up with the flap switch in the down or LAND position, reverse the direction of channel 6 (FLAP) and/or channel 7 (AUX 2). In most cases in this set up, channel 7 or aux 2 will need to be reversed.
Sub Trims
Set the sub trims as required leveling the control surfaces. Do so by entering the SUB TRIM function. Press select to choose the channel to adjust, and press increase or decrease to adjust as necessary. Try to keep these as close to zero as possible. Using too much sub trim can result in running out of travel on the servos, and the possibility of over-driving the servos.
Travel Adjustment
Set the travel adjustments such that you get the control movements required. To adjust this, enter the TRAV ADJ. Function. Consult your Ultra Stick manual for the required control surface travels. You may need to use 1” long servo arms to achieve the maximum travels listed in the manual. Try to use as high a travel adjustment value possible to achieve the throws so that you use as much of the servos travel as possible. Press the select key until you get to the GEAR channel, then press the decrease key until the travel of the gear is 0%, then flip the gear switch to the other switch position, and repeat, making the travel adjust in both switch positions 0% for the gear channel. This will inhibit the gear switch from affecting your ailerons.
Elevator to Flap Mixing
Enter the EL->FL function. Press the Select key until the arrow points at SW, and then press the increase key until this says MIX next to SW. Now press the select key until the arrow points at RATE, hold down elevator and press increase until the D value is set to about 35 percent. If the flaps go down with down elevator, reverse the value from +35 to –35 or vice versa. Now hold up elevator press the increase key until you get to about 35 percent. If the flaps go up, reverse the value from +35 to –35 or vice versa. This will give you flaps mixed to the elevator for tight loops, etc.
Flap System
Enter the FLAP SYS function. Press the select key until the arrow points at the UP flap value. Press the decrease key until this says U 50%. Adjusting this value will adjust how far the flaps will go in the center position, though you can also make small adjustments to the MID position next to flaps later for final set up. Center the flap servos after setting this position, with the switch all the way up. This is done so that you will not run out of travel for aileron to flap mixing for fast rolls. Next press select until the arrow points at the flap setting in the LAND position, press the increase or decrease value to adjust
this value, you will set this value as needed to get the flap travel needed with the switch in the land position. Next press select so that the arrow points at the ELEV value for the LAND position. Press the increase or decrease value as needed to get roughly ¼” down elevator with the switch in the LAND position.
Aileron to Flap Mixing
The aileron to flap mixing will require 2 programmable mixes. We will use mix 1 and 2 for this set up. The first mix will be an aileron to flap mix, and the second will be an aileron to aux 2 mix. The value of the aileron to aux 2 mix must be exactly double but opposite of the value in the aileron to flap mix. The travel of the flaps as ailerons will not be as much as the travel of the ailerons themselves. This will still increase the roll rate of your ultra stick however.
To set up the first mix, we will use program mix 1. Enter program mix 1. Press the increase key until the first channel says AILE. Then press the select key to make the arrow point at the second channel, and then press the increase key until the second channel says FLAP. Press the select key to make the arrow point at RATE, then hold left aileron and press the increase key until the percentage says +62%. Then hold right aileron and press the increase key until the second percentage says +62% as well. Both values should say +62%. Next press the select key to make the arrow point at SW, and press the increase key until the screen says MIX next to SW.
To set up the second mix needed for the aileron to flap mixing, we will use program mix 2. Enter program mix 2. Press the increase key until the first channel says AILE. Then press the select key to make the arrow point at the second channel, and then press the increase key until the second channel says AUX2. Press the select key to make the arrow point at RATE, then hold left aileron and press the increase key until the percentage says -124% (value double but opposite of the previous mix). Then hold right aileron and press the increase key until the second percentage says -124% as well. Both values should say -124%. Next press the select key to make the arrow point at SW, and press the increase key until the screen says MIX next to SW.
Flap to Aileron Mixing
The flap to aileron mixing will require 2 programmable mixes. We will use mix 3 and 4 for this set up. The first mix will be a flap to aileron mix, and the second will be a flap to gear mix. The value of the flap to gear mix must be exactly double but opposite of the value in the flap to aileron mix. These mixes will set up the “crow” function on the LAND flap switch position.
To set up the first mix, we will use program mix 3. Enter program mix 3. Press the increase key until the first channel says FLAP. Then press the select key to make the arrow point at the second channel, and then press the increase key until the second channel says AILE. Press the select key until the arrow points at OFFSET. Press the decrease key until it says –50 next to OFFSET. Press the select key until the arrow points at RATE, then flap the flap switch into the LAND position, then press the decrease key until the percentage says -30% (adjust this percentage as necessary to get the ailerons to move as “spoilers” ¾” up, keeping in mind that the value of this program mix must by half the value and opposite of the value in the next mix, program mix 4). Next to SW on the screen it should say ON. If it
says something other than ON, press the select key to make the arrow point at SW, and press the increase key until it says ON.
To set up the second mix, we will use program mix 4. Enter program mix 4. Press the increase key until the first channel says FLAP. Then press the select key to make the arrow point at the second channel, and then press the increase key until the second channel says GEAR. Press the select key until the arrow points at OFFSET. Press the decrease key until it says –50 next to OFFSET. Press the select key until the arrow points at RATE, then flap the flap switch into the LAND position, then press the increase key until the percentage says +60% (adjust this percentage as necessary to get the ailerons to move as “spoilers” ¾” up, keeping in mind that the value of this program mix must by double the value and opposite of the value in the previous mix, program mix 3). Next to SW on the screen it should say ON. If it says something other than ON, press the select key to make the arrow point at SW, and press the increase key until it says ON.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:32 PM
skyhawk73

Lost a few hatch covers .
MUS flys fine without the hatch but now I keep a roll of scotch tape handy
to hold down the hatch.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:18 AM
GoldKraft

ORIGINAL: skyhawk73

Lost a few hatch covers .
MUS flys fine without the hatch but now I keep a roll of scotch tape handy
to hold down the hatch.

Yeah...I just put a small screw in mine. Ever since I had my first crash and repair of the nose the magnet would not hold it anyway.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:29 PM
wedgewing

Red stylish Rubber band looks nice too. If you mount it at a slight angle you can pretend it is a racing stripe. I remember staring at the parachuting hatch mesmerized and just looking back to keep the MUS from skipping the part of the atmosphere attached to the ground. Tricky plane :-)
Old 03-24-2008, 06:33 PM
wedgewing

Gold kraft

thanks for the very detailed set up for the JR, which from what I understand is very similar in set up to the DX7. I hope you did not fly immediately after you typed that (hoping that it was a cut and paste). I will give it a run and get my hobby saw out to free the aileron from the flap again.

Snow is almost gone so it is MUS time

KP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.