Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Mini Ultra Stick

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 03:17 PM
sgf323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini Ultra Stick

Did the Turnigy motor require any firewall modification? I've added it to my Wishlist on HC. I like to get a lot of things at once to make up for the high shipping.

I haven't flown my MUS in a while, been doing parkjets, but have thought about pulling it out again. I've always belly landed it (which it does well) but I want to put the wheels on and give that a try.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:32 PM
wedgewing

Nope, that is the beauty of it. fit identically in the holes from the Park 480 X mount

great motor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67557.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1050540  
Old 10-12-2008, 07:43 PM
GoldKraft

ORIGINAL: wedgewing

I am going to add some additional cooling ports to it.

enjoy
I opened up one of the holes in the hatch and made me a scoop out of an airsole can lid. Works real well. Ill keep that motor in mind for
my 3DHS 40" Edge....should be a good match.

With all that power now....try this....get a good full speed run and then take a slight up line push the sticks together staying at full throttle
Old 10-12-2008, 09:07 PM
wedgewing

ORIGINAL: GoldKraft

I am going to add some additional cooling ports to it.

enjoy
I opened up one of the holes in the hatch and made me a scoop out of an airsole can lid. Works real well. Ill keep that motor in mind for
my 3DHS 40" Edge....should be a good match.

With all that power now....try this....get a good full speed run and then take a slight up line push the sticks together staying at full throttle
Tough to see on my beat up MUS. That is why I added the Teeth because it is just a tough SOB. I have removed the section of covering on the top of the access hatch in the round area. it cools things down. I had the E Flite Pro 40 on the side of the battery compartment and with the plush I placed it in the area below the battery. I am thinking about cutting that area out and placing a strong mesh in there to mount the ESC on. Lots of cooling that way.

Just maidened my 3DHS 49" SU26mx. What an awesome plane! Got that for a little more (OK some more) that what they will charge for a new MUS..... Got my PA 260 all dialed in too so combined with the flight this morning off my deck with the hawk trying to take on the hopped up MUS it was a great weekend

Keep that motor in mind for yours. They are so inexpensive ($25.10) you might as well order two of them and the shipping will be the same.

Good luck
Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 PM
wedgewing

[/quote]

[/quote]

Forgot to tell you...once i was sure I wasn't going to rip the wings off of it, I did what you were referring to above. I like to zoom up, go inverted and shove all sticks to the upper left. that makes and awesome furball as well. wound up pulling back into a horizontal spin and got right back on track. awesome little plane
Old 10-13-2008, 01:09 PM
rjb63

What a great day for flying! Put the MUS through its paces last evening and brought everything home in one piece: Always a good thing!

Felt so good that I charged up my Fazer (ThunderTigre .46) and 4 Star 60 (ThunderTigre .61) and took them to the field this AM. First time I've had them out in a VERY long time. They were great! AFter flying the MUS and the Typhoon 2 all summer, the glow engine planes were a piece of cake, even in the wind.

As good as the MUS is, the FAZER is still my favorite fun flyer.

Ray
Old 11-04-2008, 11:29 PM
FlaClayton
My Feedback: (3)

I have a laser at the house, so I cut all my parts... cause I break it a lot, last time i flew into the deck after 10 great touch and goes of the lake... just came to close on the fly-by and didn't take into count the loss in air current that close to the house. Just need more power outta this thing, we shall see when the package arrives.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:43 PM
DSW
My Feedback: (17)

I've been messing with heli's for the past several years and decided to give electric planes a try. I've been reviewing this MUS thread and decided to pick up a MUS. I'm setting it up with the E-flight 480 1020kv, Align 35A ESC, TP 2250 30C, APC 11x3.8.
I've added nylon screws for the landing gear and was considering doing the same for securing the wing.

Thoughts/suggestions?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:54 PM
sgf323

FWIW, don't do the nylon landing screws. I flew forever belly landing the MUS and when I finally put the wheels on they broke right off during take-off on a bumpy grass field. Unless you land/crash really hard you won't pull the gear out. For me, every landing with the nylon bolts ripped them off. Landing with the metal bolts is fine. However, I do use nylon on the wing because it definitely saves the fuse if you have a crash.

Also, with the Park 450 & a 12x6 I can take off from my hand, literally. As in no throwing... it just takes off straight off my grip. I bet that Park 480 will be fun!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: DSW

I've been messing with heli's for the past several years and decided to give electric planes a try. I've been reviewing this MUS thread and decided to pick up a MUS. I'm setting it up with the E-flight 480 1020kv, Align 35A ESC, TP 2250 30C, APC 11x3.8.
I've added nylon screws for the landing gear and was considering doing the same for securing the wing.

Thoughts/suggestions?
I tore the landing gear off on a rough landing. I reinforced the area using popsicle sticks (the flat ones) and epoxy glue to make sure it would not happen again. It worked since it survived all future rough landings. Even when I crashed the plane trying to do some dumb aerobatics too close to ground, the fuselage was crushed, but the landing gear area was intact.

I'm now flying the Ultra Stick 25E and I did the same reinforcement on the landing gear area. I've had no problems with all kinds of imperfect landings.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Adrians flyer

I tore the landing gear off on a rough landing. I reinforced the area using popsicle sticks (the flat ones) and epoxy glue to make sure it would not happen again. It worked since it survived all future rough landings. Even when I crashed the plane trying to do some dumb aerobatics too close to ground, the fuselage was crushed, but the landing gear area was intact.

I'm now flying the Ultra Stick 25E and I did the same reinforcement on the landing gear area. I've had no problems with all kinds of imperfect landings.

[/quote]

How do you like the 25E? What size batteries are you using?

Bruce
Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 AM
jmir

[/quote]

How do you like the 25E? What size batteries are you using?

Bruce

[/quote]

The 25E version flies much better than the MUS version. It's a great, solid, proven design. I fly it in winds up to 15mph, more than that and then it's no fun at all, especially trying to land. I had to ad a little weight to the tail end to get it properly balanced.

I'm using an Eflite Power 25 with a 13X6.5 prop. I use a 3S2S 11.1v 4300 mah battery and also a 4S 14.8v 3300 mah battery. The 4S gives it awesome power, especially on low passes and unlimited, straight vertical climbs. I was thinking about going to a Power 32, but ever since I got my 4S pack, there is no need for added power. I don't know what I would gain going with a Power 32, so I'm sticking with the Power 25.

By the way, I buy my li-po's from HobbyCity.com at about 1/3 the regular price + shipping. Going to these big batteries, a 2/3 discount makes a big difference even if you have to wait a couple of weeks more to get them.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Adrians flyer

Nope, that is the beauty of it. fit identically in the holes from the Park 480 X mount

great motor
Just changed out my 480 for this Turnigy. Only large prop I had was an 11X8.5 so I installed it. With the Evo 25c 3s battery, it pulled 36amps at WOT. Got a 40 amp ESC so it should be in good shape. The column of air it moves blasts around the room like a mini tornado. This is gonna be good. Can't wait till Wed to test it out.

Bruce
Old 05-21-2009, 11:31 AM
WestCoastFlyer

I bought a MUS a couple weeks ago to fly at a local school yard and I'm having a blast with it. Perfect for the confines of a soccer field.

As everyone knows there's a tendency to nose over on taxiing and landing in grass due to the location of the gear, so I put a little piece of tri cut hardwood under the gear to splay the gear and wheels forward. It worked like a charm, picture is attached.

For added support I also ran small screws from the fuse into the landing gear mount.

And like others in this thread I built a tail wheel assembly out of light steel wire and a feather light wheel - works great, these little airplanes need a tail wheel to maneuver.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35574.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	1203022  
Old 05-22-2009, 09:24 PM
speedy72vega

I also have a MUS. I love it! I take it to the airfield every time I go flying. I have a 41" Edge 540, and also a 63" Extra 330L, but I still fly the MUS first, just to get the nerves settled in for the bigger birds. I will do things with my MUS that I won't do with the bigger planes!!!! I throw it around, and if I get into trouble, it's pretty easy to recover.

I have a 200w 1400kv Rimfire motor, with a 9x6 E prop, 1800mah 3s1p LiPo, flies great. I've flown it in 16mph winds before. It was a handful, but was still kinda fun

I also have a 2550mah 3s1p LiPo that I fly it with sometimes, the extra power and weight make it even more stable in higher winds. The winds almost always average at least 10-14mph here in Littleton, so I had to get used to flying in wind.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:49 PM
sgf323

Does anyone with a DX6 have the ailerons split?  I'm curious how well the plane flies with half the aileron working and the inner portions just used as real flaps.  Do the flaps work well for low speed flying and do the ailerons have enough authority having less surface area?
Old 05-28-2009, 01:50 PM
jdkxtreme

Works great..
Old 05-28-2009, 01:56 PM
sgf323

Would you say that taking the time to do it is worth it?  I'm interested in the ability to fly the plane slower when landing because I have a very small parking lot that I have to land in but don't want to do the mod if it doesn't  decrease the stall speed by a decent amount. Also, does it have any more or less tendency to tip stall at slow speeds with the dedicated flaps down?
Old 05-28-2009, 02:14 PM
jdkxtreme

I would say no. If it were the bigger stick then yes. I can land this one so slow I can almost catch it. I just did not really like it..It was fun for a few flights.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:17 PM
jmir

ORIGINAL: sgf323

Would you say that taking the time to do it is worth it? I'm interested in the ability to fly the plane slower when landing because I have a very small parking lot that I have to land in but don't want to do the mod if it doesn't decrease the stall speed by a decent amount. Also, does it have any more or less tendency to tip stall at slow speeds with the dedicated flaps down?
I wouldn't spend the time doing the flaps. I just programmed the ailerons as a flaperon. That is, both ailerons can be switched down like flaps. This can be quickly done with the Spektrum system, or any other system, so long as you have separate servos for the ailerons.

The only time I use it is when I want to show off how slowly I can land the plane. And it does slow it down nicely.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:33 PM
jmir

Regarding my previous comment, Ineed to correct it:

The plane I'm referring to with the flaperons is the Ultra Stick 25E, not the Mini Ultra Stick.
Sorry about that.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:39 PM
speedy72vega

Well, our club had the annual fun fly today, so I decided to take the MUS. I entered 3 events, the limbo, the hands off, and the 3 loops and land.

During the limbo, (1st event of the day) there were 2 posts on either side of the runway, with a paper ribbon tied across at about 18" off the ground. The object was to fly under the ribbon without touching down. Well...............I came in too hot, and slammed the MUs straight down on the runway, a bellyflop so to speak. Tore the landing gear block clean off, but my 5 min epoxy and some CA, and she was ready to go!!! This thing is almost indestructable

As soon as the first event was over, the wind started gusting 17-20 mph [] Not too good for my little MUS.

I decided to go ahead with the 3 loops and land, nobody could believe how quickly I took off, straight up and into all 3 loops without stopping!!! Darn wind though, my time ended up being 27 seconds, because I had a hard time getting it back down with a 15mph headwind. Oh well......

I went ahead and did the hands off too, even though the winds were still pretty stiff. We got 1 minute each to go up and trim, then hands off the sticks. I went immediately downwind, and set the throttle and elevator trim for a nice calm steady climb. She went up for a good 30 seconds or so, completely hands off! Then the wind took over, and she banked gently left, and started going towards the campground to the West, so I had to turn her around . All in all, my little MUS didn't do too bad, especially for the windy conditions. I'm really thinking about getting either the .25 or .40 stick next, they're soooooo much fun.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:15 AM
KyJoe340

Bought a PNP MUS today and was wondering if anyone had issues with the speed control. I usually go with Castle speed controls but couldn't pass up a good deal on this PNP. Did a search but didn't come up with much.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:40 AM
sgf323

The ESC in my PNP kit burned up before I even got it off the ground.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:49 AM
KyJoe340

Got in 2 flights today. The PNP is underpowered for sure but still alot of fun. Speed control worked fine and didn't get too warm.
I got about 10 min on my 2100's, I was expecting more. Trying out my fly cam one tomorrow. Also, I love how this plane comes apart and goes
back in the original box in about 2 minutes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.