Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Muni Ultra Stick vs Mini Funtana

Would the Mini Funtana be a good choice as a next plane from the MUS ?

Will the Funtana use everything I have in the MUS ESC, Servos, Batteries?
    F-27Q, SU-26, Mosquito Mk Vi, Radian, Radian Pro, Blade MSr, Blade MCPx, Superstar, Mini Ultra Stick, 50mm EDF F-22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Muni Ultra Stick vs Mini Funtana

If this is your second airplane go with the Mini Ultra Stick. This is an easier flying airplane then the Funtana. Save the Funtana for your third airplane. If you buy the recommend setup that E-flite has printed in the manual the equipment will transfer to the Funtana without any problems.

Bevo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually, I'm flying the MUS now, I just wanted the Funtana as my next plane. Just wondering how touchy it is compared to the MUS. The MUS can be pretty tame with my deflections dialed back. It can be a real handful when I have full deflections :-)
    F-27Q, SU-26, Mosquito Mk Vi, Radian, Radian Pro, Blade MSr, Blade MCPx, Superstar, Mini Ultra Stick, 50mm EDF F-22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I Would get a little more time with the MUS. If it is a handful at full recommended rates, I wouldn't step up to the funtana just yet. Slowly add a little more throw, and keep flying it. Once you can max everything out, and still fly it comfortably, then it's time to step up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got back into the hobby with a Mini Ugly stick and I have to say I'm really, really pleased with it. I tinkered with a mini Funtana for awhile and it was really nice too. The planes are quite different, so you need to be careful when switching from one to the other.

The Funtana is capable of all the 3D stuff, so I set mine up with minimum throws on low rate, and on high I used max throws and 70% expo. It worked quite well that way, but it's not nearly as stable as the Mini Ugly Stick. That's the trade off, I suppose. You can get into all sorts of trouble with the stick and it's stable and responsive enough to allow you to save it. The Funtana is pretty good, but if you yank back hard on the stick at low speed it snaps out, though not violently. This is just something you need to be away of if you're going to hammer on it really hard.

At first I didn't like my Funtana, so I began getting stupider and stupider with it, low and lower and all that. I was just beginning to like it when the motor quit in a hover and I biffed it. The LHS is getting more on Thursday, so I'm planning on getting another one.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Funtana as long as you can handle a stick really well. It's a natural progression to move up to the Funtana, but you need to be aware that it behaves quite differently when you've got it near a dead stall. It's not like it acts violently or anything, but it is different, so don't let it catch you out.

Both the Stick and the Funtana are really nice planes that are made beautifully. It would be hard to go wrong with either of them.
    http://docaustinsfreakshow.blogspot.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you build the MF lightweight you will have no problem and find it is a great plane. Use a Hacker A20-20L outrunner with a TP 1320 Pro-lite battery and it will fly much better than the the standard heavy setup (2100 battery and gear box). I have both planes and I have flown the heavy MF for 8 months before putting it on a diet. The MUS is a very fun plane but the MF has much more performance.
    Phillip
    Club Saito Member #415

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just keep it in low rates, you have to fly the plane all the time meaning keep in control all the time, it doesn't right itself up, wing will drop anytime especially when hit with the wind, you have to be on your toes. No such thing as relax flying here. Landings are tricky, got to come-in hot . If you land on grass, upgrade the landing gear and the area where it is attached to. It's easy just do a search here. But once you get used to it you'll have a blast!!! Get the high performance set-up ie. 480 outrunner motor or what others are recommending here.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can someone point me to a video of the Mini-Fun doing some 3D? I have been searching and can't find one. Every other model has several but I can't find one other than the old one that was done in the middle of Winter.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Can someone point me to a video of the Mini-Fun doing some 3D? I
    http://www.savefile.com/files2.php?fid=2732821
    Club Saito Member #415

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks!
    He's wringing it out pretty good there but it still looks as unstable as mine was. It just won't do anything slow which is what I want in a 3D plane. Personal preferance but it speaks to the wing loading of these little built up models.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The plane in the video is a heavy setup and it was a very windy day when that video was shot. Also the pilot in that video has a "quick" style of flying. Look at the end of the video after he lands and I think you'll see what I'm refering to. Nothing wrong with that, everyone has their own personal sytle.

A friend and I have our MF's setup at 21 oz and we can hover them right down to the ground, smooth as can be. It takes a little more skill than flying a profile 3D plane like a Cermark Lil' Banshee though. The advantage the MF has over the profile is that it flys better at anything other than 3D.
    Phillip
    Club Saito Member #415

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had my MF at 21oz. also but it always wanted to snap and landed like a sack of hammers. I tried multiple configurations and finally decided it wasn't for me. To have comparable flight characteristics to the bigger stuff I don't think anything but foam will do with the present technology. I loved the looks and construction of the MF but it has to fly so much faster to be any good.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

I had my MF at 21oz.
    Was that 21 oz all up weight (with battery)? If so, maybe there was a CG or trim issue. Mine flys like a dream.
    Phillip
    Club Saito Member #415

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The reason I got the MF was for some after work flying at a a small field. It theres any wind at all, I can't get the plane down. The other night I was bringing it in rather slow over the backstop in some wind - the wind caught it about 15 feet off the ground and slammed it on the infield. Second time in a month this has happened and both times the fuse broke in half behind the wings/hatch. I just reinforced it and glued it together but its getting old fast. This plane has 2 problems as I see it. It likes to land fast and it has weak landing gear and fuse.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sal,

Maybe your MF is not setup optimally. It could be heavy if you are using a 2100 battery, the CG could be off, control throws could be too much, Expos could be too low. My friends and I have no trouble flying in 15+ mph wind, even with strong gusts. I think any decent flying plane will be susceptable to cracking the fusalage if brought in too hard. With the exception of trainers (like a Slow Stik), planes are designed to fly, not crash.

I think the Mini Ultra Stick may be a better choice for you.
    Phillip
    Club Saito Member #415

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh, my. Not to be Dr. Killjoy, but I've had a Funtana and now I've got a few flights on my Brio. Not even close. Spend a few more dollars and get ten times the airplane with the Brio.

I really liked my Funtana, but the Brio so much more suits my flying style.

Oh, there's also no substitute for a Mini Ultra stick, so you have to have one of those too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Hoffa

I think any decent flying plane will be susceptable to cracking the fusalage if brought in too hard. With the exception of trainers (like a Slow Stik), planes are designed to fly, not crash.

I think the Mini Ultra Stick may be a better choice for you.
    I replaced the steel bolts that hold the landing gear on my Mini Ultra stick with nylon, and I slammed the thing into the ground and didn't hurt it. Maybe it was a one in a million shot, but I've got no doubt that without the nylon bolts that plane would be history now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Doc,
    That Brio 10 may very well be a great plane, but I believe it will require more power than a MF, ie. bigger battery, ESC, motor. No problem with that, I'm just making a mention. A more apples to apples comparison would be the MF to a Fliton Extra 330. From everything I've read on the internet, people say they fly much better than the MF also.
    Phillip
    Club Saito Member #415

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

News Flash!
    E-Flite just announced a new Mini Ultra Stik 25.

Here it is:

http://www.toddsmodels.com/ARF/sportwood/EFL4025.htm

Phillip
    Club Saito Member #415

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Phillip,

Maybe its me, but I think some planes are just better under certain conditions than others. The MF may not be the ideal plane for a small field and having to "drop in" over the fence and in gusty winds. Flying low and slow she doesn't have much left to manuever or recover in wind.

Its the combination of a small field with gusty wind that gets me. I can fly in 15 mph winds except the landing is a crapshoot if its gusty and I have to drop in over a fence or trees. If its calmer and a larger field I can fly touch and go's with it til the battery is dead. What do you guys think?Maybe it is me and I should just carry more speed into the landing and just grease it. Or assuming its correctly balanced - is it the MF ? I have to drop it in over a fence I have read the YAK is better for those types of fields.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sal,
    How much does your MF weigh? If you don't have a scale, what motor and battery are you running?
    Phillip
    Club Saito Member #415

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

its only 22 oz. I am runnung a cheap art tech outrunner and a 1800mah lipo.

the plane climbs like a maniac and is very fast. Also, I am flying it with the wing in the rear position.

If I land it with a shallow approach and 10% throttle, it will grease the landing. But dropping in with no throttle and wind is dicey.

**I just checked my cg and it is dead on - without the battery!!! Oh crap, thats got to be it it. With the battery in, the cg is too far forward = mystery solved? Hahahaha!No wonder it had to land like a jet.

Can't wait to fly it with a proper CG.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sal,
    Hopefully that will solve your problem. Also, if possible switch to a Thunder Power 1320 Pro-lite battery. It's light and provides a lot of amps. Like you, I fly mine with the wing in the rear position. To get my CG in line, I had to mouint the ESC and RX on the FRONT of the firewall. My 1320 battery is shoved all the way forward in the battery area and is velcoed in sideways.

By the way, my MF lands much slower than my Mini Ultra Stick.
    Phillip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf99626.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	452252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ol31700.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	452253  
    Club Saito Member #415

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Hoffa

Doc,
    That Brio 10 may very well be a great plane, but I believe it will require more power than a MF, ie. bigger battery, ESC, motor. No problem with that, I'm just making a mention.
    Well, I found out today that you are right. It's been so windy that I've only been making short hops with the Brio, just to get the throws and balance dialed in.

OK, setup: E flite 480, E flite 40 amp ESC, Thunder Power 2100ma 3 cell APC 11/7 prop

Today it was still windy, but I had enough confidence to hang it out a little more, and the 2100ma battery dumped at about 8 minutes......compared to the 15 to 20 I get with the same engine/ESC/battery combo on the Mini Ultra Stick.

I was having to carry so much throttle to fly it that it ate the power up in a hurry, so I think the 10 is the way to go. With the 480 the Brio is a pretty nice plane, but it doesn't have that gut-check blast of power when you hammer it like 480 does in the Mini Ultra Stick. I sort of expected this because the Brio is advertised at 28oz, and that's with a 1320ma pack. Mine is probably pushing 30oz or better.

But, the Brio is a different type of plane. You fly it faster and do big, graceful manuevers with it and it's in it's element. It's been too windy to try to 3D it low to the ground, but I don't think the 480 is enough for that on this plane anyway. Mayber Quique could do it, but not me for sure.

A more apples to apples comparison would be the MF to a Fliton Extra 330. From everything I've read on the internet, people say they fly much better than the MF also.
    I suppose I will have to try one. The Fliton stuff looks really nice. I especially like the Protogy, and I was going to go with that when I saw the Brio was coming out, so i waited. I like to keep all my equipment the same so it's interchangable, so I doubt I'll buy a 10. I'll probably jam the 480 into a Protogy for the next project, but for now I really like the Brio.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Phillip,

You are correct. I had been flying it with the CG way forward. Last night I moved the battery and secured it further back and rechecked the balance.

I just flew my MF and it landed like a Tiger Moth. I suppose when I built it I must have balanced it without the battery(Duh!). I moved the battery back and was able to land at what looked like 5 mph with decent control.

I'm glad I complained about the plane, ended up solving a problem. Thanks.

I love my MF but my plane at least seems to be real fragile. Just normal landings bouncing on turf seem to make it shed timy bits of balsa inside the fuse. The landing gear is ripping up the bulkhead and battery comartment above it. And the lower fuse and side balsa is all cracking and splitting.

Sal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast