Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Great Planes Lancair

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:52 AM
travelmaven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Lancair

Just got my Lancair kit. Looking to go brushless right away (yeah many of us do that). What brushless choices have anybody made??
Old 03-08-2006, 01:03 PM
teamscalepilot
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Lancair

FLY IT First. You will be suprised with the geared 400 performance!!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Dct5289

I flew mine, it has the power, but not enough. i wanna use the same gearbox etc and keep it as unmodified as possible. what motor should i use?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Dct5289

Im looking at motors right now and im thinking a himaxx would work because they have the 2mm shaft. see what you think http://www.espritmodel.com/accesorie...brushless.html
Old 03-22-2006, 03:57 PM
jimsoque

It's been real windy here to attempt flight this week.

She high speed taxies nicely and looks like she wants to break ground. At the advice of a fellow electric enthusiast, I've purchased an E-flight 480 Outrunner 1020 KV Brushless motor and 20 A Brushless ESC from Horizon Hobby. for my choice of upgrade.

I will remove the old motor and gear box combo. I'm going to build up on the face of the front former a 1/8 ply back plate for the "X" bracket, and to deal with the offset of the cowl, mount the motor 7-8 mm higher, I've misplaced my notes. Then, I'll re-align the prop shaft with the opening thru the cowl and mount the stock prop. Though, the literature for the 480 outrunner calls for a 10+ inch prop. Keeping the stock batteries for now.

Good luck all,

J.S.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:00 PM
teamscalepilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send your stock setup this way, I'll nees a spare!!
Old 05-21-2006, 08:01 PM
SAFZERO

hey guys, how well does this plane glide on no power?
Old 05-22-2006, 05:28 AM
ProScaleRc

ORIGINAL: travelmaven

Just got my Lancair kit. Looking to go brushless right away (yeah many of us do that). What brushless choices have anybody made??
I just got mine as well and will be giving it it's maiden flight this weekend.

I'm using a Venom 3350 Brushless, with a V-series 25 amp ESC, and a 11.1V 2200mA LiPo. This was a cheep set up, but I've been told it's guaranteed to go vert with 1/2 throttle.

I'll let you know how I go on Saturday...
Old 05-24-2006, 08:58 PM
ProScaleRc

My Lancair had her maiden flight today. All went well for the first 20mins... a few test taxis and 3, 5 min flights to get used to the new machine. The set up (see above) I had been advised on, by the boys at Hobbyrama was extremely powerful and had no problems, takeoff at 1/2 throttle and a little flap. I haven't flown a power plane this quick before, geeze it goes.

I waited another 40mins for for my Lipo to recharge and attempted another takeoff... word of advice, using a netball court isn't the best choice of runway. The plane hit one of the dozen or so poles and hit the deck.... day over!

Forgetting the outcome, I had a great time flying and would recommend my setup to anyone thinking of going brushless.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:43 AM
ProScaleRc

Just got word today that GP are not stocking spares in Austarlia and I will have to buy a whole new kit. Not what you'd want to hear, especially from a park flyer which is bound to have some bingles.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:51 AM
wb2fka

I'm using a 2014 outrunner brushless motor from milehighrc.com. It bolts right in in place of the stock brushed motor. This motor has the correct shaft diameter for the stock gearbox pinion- 2.3mm. It goes for $38.00 with free priority mail shipping. If you use this motor, milehighrc has charts for this motor on their Web site to help you choose the best prop and battery to use with the stock gear box. The stock 9-6 prop will probably draw too much current. Also, be sure to lengthen the motor wires before installing the new motor. The working space inside the fuselage is very tight and you won't want to do it twice.