Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on new plane and set up

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Suggestions on new plane and set up

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 11:40 PM
medfoch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on new plane and set up

I am looking into purchasing a new plane. I am an experienced Heli flyer for over 15 years and got my first plane last summer. The two planes I have now are the park zone p-51 and the typhoon 3D. I love both and the typhoon is my style but I feel I want something a little "better"

The two planes I am looking at are:

E-Flight Brio 10
Fliton Extra 330 Mini

1 - I know this is stupid...but here goes...which one is better? - quality / build / flight characteristics / I am currently attempting to hover in the sim...and I can perform all basic aerobatics with the typhoon...but I would consider my self intermediate with a plane

2 - What motor should I be looking at? I currently have 3 x 3s1p 2100 batteries for my T-rex and I would like to be able to use them in the plane as well. My local hobby shop carries the eflight 480 BL and most eflight ESC's but I am not sure about the quality of these motors. Are they any good? I have read a lot of people like the Hacker Motors - are they better? or any suggestions on brand / sizeing would be helpful - I would really like to use this motor in future planes I purchase not just this one.

3. In helis high speed / high torque servos are important - and I am a big futaba fan. However it seems that the smaller futaba servos are not really that good. -- What type of servos should I be looking at? I will be using a futaba i146 PCM reciever for this new plane.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

Old 04-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Iceman30
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Suggestions on new plane and set up

I would get this if I was in the market for a larger e powered built up plane:

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/produ...l/45EExtra.htm

In fact would love to have one...may get one..but fly rcx planes foamies now and ultra r/c giles 202 UL

But was just speaking to wife about selling Giles and going all electric...I love e power..clean...love the foamies...can fly in my street/front yard in the garage...back out etc...
Old 04-17-2006, 05:11 PM
SS2P

Hey,

so what u guys say is that when i have mastered typhoon i can fly that?
I have flown sky scooter and typhoon and im also looking forward to find something... ie. balsa

Paul
Old 04-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Iceman30

AHHH...having flown those..stepping up not that hard but why don't you try a foamie first..much tougher than balsa built up and you will LEARN A TON !

I FLY RCXPLANES foamies...I suggest the YAK..want to learn 3d...this is the plane for you...go with the hacker set up with 1300mah 3cell 12C or more lipo !!

HECK...it's only MONEY !! I would suggest a good foamie...nothing like you have flown before as far as response and vertical...these planes are so accurate and simple build...you can fly imac sequences with them
Old 04-18-2006, 11:19 PM
SS2P

HEH!

But I already have flown 2 foamies LOL!

Sky scooter = FOAM

Typhoon 3d = FOAM

Im kind of tired about foam. i want something more rigid.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Iceman30

not sure about the typhoon...but sky scooter doesn't count ... hahaha...but yes foam..but not the performace of a 3d foamie..but how was the typhoon...it reads pretty good for a RTF..

THIS ONE LOOKS GOOD..AND CAN FLY ON AFPD IF YOU HAVE IT:
http://ohiomodelplanes.com/3dbuddy/

GUY AT OUR FIELD HAS THIS ONE !! IT IS AWESOME !!
http://www.extremeflightrc.com/produ...l/yak55spe.htm

DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF RADIO SYSTEM YOU HAVE CHECK THIS OUT:
http://ohiomodelplanes.com/katanartf/

any thing from these 2 companies you can't go wrong..I fly the Giles 202 UL from Ultra r/c which is also distributed by OMP..Both GREAT people to deal with that stand behind their products.

AND NO FOAM !!!
Old 04-19-2006, 05:10 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

"The two planes I am looking at are:

E-Flight Brio 10
Fliton Extra 330 Mini"

Between these two you should get the Fliton Extra - it has lighter wing loading and will 3D better. The Brio is a great pattern plane.

A 3s 2100 battery may be a little heavy for the Extra however. You might want to look at a Katana Mini, it will handle the battery, more wing.

Futaba has a great new servo the 3110. I have not tried it yet, I use HS-55's and Eflight S75's but my next servo set will be the 3110's.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:50 PM
SS2P

I' m looking for mini ultra stick or reflection bipe 3d.

I really like reflection.