Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mini Super Sportster Upgrades

These are the upgrades I made to my second Mini Super Sportster, I will have more details on the effects of the mods in a few days.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fm33158.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	169.9 KB 
ID:	451175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aw70221.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	451176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ty66319.jpg 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	451177   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ke90923.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	451178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gr94043.jpg 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	451179  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ev24736.jpg 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	451180   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Su35952.jpg 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	451181   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qp51651.jpg 
Size:	174.9 KB 
ID:	451182   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rq16137.jpg 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	451183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ht87764.jpg 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	451184  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tz14612.jpg 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	451185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pa12812.jpg 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	451186  
    IF IT AINT BROKE...............BREAK IT!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Mini Super Sportster Upgrades

Nice upgrades...
    Paul Teesalu

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the 1st upgrade is the landing gear. i bent a piece of music wire and added it to the main wire, connected at front with a #64 rubber-band attached to the front fire wall. i added MPI 2 1/2" wheels so i can land in grass. the extra support keeps the main gear from getting all bent up. i found this to be a problem without support. and the larger size wheel keeps it from flipping over when landing in grass.ps it from flipping over when landing in grass.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the next upgrade was a steerable rear wheel, this is a MPI 1 1/4" wheel, mounted on music wire that i bent and made it stick about 1" into the rudder. i centered the plastic reinforcement exactly in the center of the hinge line so it would not bind. i used epoxy on the reinforcement and in the hole were the wire went into the rudder. make sure that there is a little clearance on the moving part of the rudder so it doesnt bind on the reinforcement. the centering of the reinforcement must be exact. i have about 10 flights on this setup now, with no bending or breaking (of the main or rear wheel) and it tracks great with this setup for take-off. a LOT better than when it was stock.

john

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the next upgrade shown in the pics is simply a very small bolt and nut that i used in place of the screw, that holds the canopy on. i left the bolt sticking out about 1/2 inch and used the nut to tighten onto the canopy, i then simply put a piece of heat shrink tubing over the exposed nut and bolt, and shrunk it. it made a very neet and easy to grab handle, to ease in opening the canopy. on the other side of the canopy i used clear box tape as a hinge instead of the supplied hinge that it comes with. (i found that the stock hinge comes off after just a little while and doesnt hold up as good)

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

next is the POWER PLANT! and boy let me tell you this is a real power house! i cut the stock motor mount back just a little so i could put a piece of plywood as a mounting base for the e-flite 480 bl outrunner brushless. i then reinforced it with some braces, i made sure that i kept all the factory thrust angles as i fitted everything together.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So how was the vertical with 480 bl mtr? [X(]

I quess unlimited ah?
    Paul Teesalu

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes, unlimited

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the next upgrade is adding a second servo to the wing (im using futaba 3110's), this way i can mix flap operations and ailerons. this upgrade however didn't impress me, when i engage flaps it only slowed the plane a tiny amount and at the expense of making it harder to fly stable, after landing both ways a few times each, i decided that i didn't like the flap operation, so i took out the flap mix, i do however like the duel servos just for the assurance that im not over working the single servo during times when im really pushing the plane hard.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

for a speed control, i used the phoenix 45. i only need about half that many amps but i found that i get better flight times with this controller (i guess because it has less internal resistance and its so underworked no heat at all), and it puts out more amps to the radio than smaller controllers do, so servos dont get over stressed.
    i mounted the controller in front of the fire wall, just behind the motor. to get the CG right on the MSS when you run brushless and lipos, you have to mount everything you can as far forward as possible since these parts ar lighter than the stock setup.
    i use either a 1500 20c apogee 3cell pack, or a 2170 10c apogee 3cell pack, both give the exact CG that i need when i put them forward all the way until they touch the rib inside the fus. i have a small piece of velcro ca glued to the end of one side of each of my packs, i have a matching piece inside the cockpit that mates up to them. i have a strip of velcro that goes around the pack to hold it down. its a matter of maybe 10 seconds to change packs like this.
    this plane has so much power that i put a 10X7E apc prop on it and it draws about 16 amps on the bench, less in the air. i could get more power if i wanted with a larger prop but there is no need, even though the motor will handle more amps. there was a police officer at the park last week and he used his radar gun to see if he could get a reading on the plane and it worked, he got me going 53 mph at level flight. the motor is never warm when it comes in, i guess, again, because im under-working the limits of the motor and esc. my all up weight with this plane is 23 ounces with the 1500 pack, and 23 1/2 ounces with the 2170 pack.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have my mini SS ready and I will maiden it soon. I consider myself as a beginner as I only have experience on slow stick and E-Starter. My mini sportster have a 22 oz AUW. Just wonder how it flies compared to E-Starter? Will it prone to tip stall/drop wing? I am very concerned about the tip stall tendency of the mini sportster as I have tried to fly a overloaded formosa (25 oz AUW) and it has serious tip stall problem, my total air time on that was less than 10 secs.

Back to my mini SS, it has AUW of 22 oz and powered up to 160W with walkera 180L 3200kv BL motor and cobri gearbox with ratio 3.4, towerpro 18A ESC and 8 cell 1150mah 2/3A battery, APC 10x7 E prop. I don't care about aerobatics right now, just hope with my limited flight experience I can safely take off and land it.

whwong

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

whwong, sorry it took so long to respond.

i also started with a slow stick, then to an estarter, and then to the mini super sportster. as far as compairing the estarter to the MSS, the 1st thing you will notice when you fly the MSS is the speed differance. the MSS is about twice as fast, but dont let this get you all worked up, just make sure you fly were there is at least 2 or 3 times as long of a landing area as you used for the estarter, until you get used to the landings, after that you will be able to go back to a smaller field. trust me, if you fly this plane and there is not a real big open area to land, you will crash it. im only saying that because you are not used to this type of plane yet. ok with that said about landing now lets get to the air, when the plane is in the air it flies much better than the estarter, no tendency at all of stalls, as long as you put the center of gravity EXACTLY were the instructions say to. as far as banking set the ailerons to low rate, it has no tendecy of dropping wings or any of those sloppy caracteristics of the estarter. the only caution i would give to see if you are ready for this plane is; as long as when you try to bank left or bank right (coming AND going) that you do it right without 1st banking wrong then coming back. another words if you know your left and right without thinking about it then your ready for this plane. dont let me scare you, this plane is actually easier to fly than the estarter, the big key is knowing left bank and right bank, just because of the speed your moving makes for less time to correct when you turn wrong. well i got a lot of details here to hopefully help you understand what will be happening when you get this plane in the air, thinking back from when i switched over to this plane.

to sum it up about flight charateristics, the MSS is very easy to fly, very stable, but will just need a very big landing spot the 1st few time you fly it.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John thanks so much for your detailed response! I think I have a clear picture now of how this plane behaves.

I am quite confident of flying this little plane now. My E-Starter is overloaded up to 25oz, so it should be faster than a "normal" E-Starter, and I practised quite a lot on landing since I think this is the most fun part of flying, so given that the mini SS is 2 to 3 times faster, I think I should be able to get used to it soon, my mini SS is not overweight this time, it's about 23oz with 150W power.

As to the "left right" problem, hopefully I have no problem on it, I seldom make a wrong turn now. For the first flight, I will use the low rate throw recommended in the manual and probably use a 50% expo on aileron and elevator, hopefully I am still be able to correct the plane if I move the stick to the wrong direction initally.

I am just waiting the wind to calm down for my first flight, will let you how it goes!

whwong

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi, from the way it sounds, i think you are ready too! like i said when you take off, you will have no problem at all in the air. just wait for a "no wind day" for the 1st flight, we all know how hard it is to wait when your ready to maiden, lol

Keep us all informed of how it goes

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

oh, i just remembered something i did on my 1st MSS when i was 1st getting used to it. i adjusted the servo linkage going to my ailerons so that both ailrons tilted down a VERY VERY slight amount (maybe 1/32" or so) this slightly slowed the plane a bit without changing the stable flite characteristics of the MSS.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John,
    Yeah my MSS have both aileron tilt down about the same amount as yours! I don't do it intentionally, but just lazy to adjust the control rod length . I was thinking that this acts as a fixed flapperon (good thing) and but somehow worrying about that this will tip stall the plane (bad thing). But as you said the MSS will not tip stall usually so I am not worrying it now . Thanks for your tip!

It will be windy this weekend so I will probably maiden the MSS later next week. I know I have to be patient about the weather.

whwong

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: whwong

John,
    Yeah my MSS have both aileron tilt down about the same amount as yours! I don't do it intentionally, but just lazy to adjust the control rod length . I was thinking that this acts as a fixed flapperon (good thing) and but somehow worrying about that this will tip stall the plane (bad thing). But as you said the MSS will not tip stall usually so I am not worrying it now . Thanks for your tip!

It will be windy this weekend so I will probably maiden the MSS later next week. I know I have to be patient about the weather.

whwong
    Ohh yeah, take if from me, Mr. Fly-it-now, you are smart to wait for good weather. Me, I crashed mine twice in the first day. Once because of the slight wind, and the second time I flew it at night. Don't ask why. I'm lazy and impatient. Learned my lesson though (I think...) the hard way.

But, I can tell you from my bried 3-4 minute total flight time, that this baby is faster than most beginner planes, including my Slo-V (hehe, duh), Sky Fly, and I believe my Mini-Slinger. However as long as I didn't mess up my lefts from my rights, and took it easy on the ailerons, it flew nice and stable, even at half throttle it was quite fast. [8D] And quiet! This thing in the air is almost unhearable. Kinda cool. I just hope I can fix mine up soon and have some real flights (that don't involve crashes in the end).

One thing though, and I'm guessing it's because I'm using sub-micro Futaba 3108 servos, in the air, the Rudder didn't seem like it had any authority at all. Even at full left or right, I didn't see/feel much response. Maybe it was the wind, or maybe the air hitting the rudder was too much pressure for the little servo to go against. On the ground the rudder worked well though to help steer the plane (too well). No such problems with the aileron servo though.

Good luck! And tell us how your maiden goes!
    Summit+Neu1518, Emaxx+Fei.7XL+Xerun 80A, Bandit+3.5R, Slash+Medusa 3300
    Love RC tanks? Blow em up @www.worldoftanks.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Slo-V Flyer, I thought that MSS should not have much adverse yaw so you probably don't need to use much rudder once in the air, am I right? I have to use rudder heavily on my E-Starter though. Sad to hear your crashes, but don't worry as no one can escape from it. I have countless crashes on my slow stick and E-Starter. Just had a nose in for the E-Starter and totaled a motor, gearbox and ESC.

whwong

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was trying to use the rudder to see how much authority it had. Yes I didnt need to use it to keep straight, or to turn, as the ailerons did that nicely. Guess each plane behaves differently.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

when i fly mine, i dont use the rudder at all, unless im doing a manuver like knife edge or something. for basic flying forget about the rudder, just use aileron to bank and give slight up elevator, it will flip right around for you, go easy till you get used to it, or you will flip the plane on its side to far and it will nose dive. just do gentle banks for a few flights and you will be able to fly it around all day. as far as the servo, the 3108 is fine for rudder, im sure its not getting strained, the MSS just has a very small rudder and you wont feel it working, thats ok you will be using the ailerons to turn anyway. and one less channel to worry about while your learning

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, you're right I don't really need rudder for now, and I almost dont remember it's there since I'm so used to flying with the right stick on my 3 ch. planes. I'm used to aileron turns from the few flights on my Mini-Slinger (bank and yank style...not too ugly though), and of course, (laugh it up) all the F/A-18 Hornet sims (Janes, Hornet 3.0) I played on my pc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you guys know the kyosho Spree Sports M380 and M36? The M380 is almost the same as MSS with stock 380 motor and the M36 is a bigger version with 540 motor. I expect they fly very similarly to the MSS, just want to get a M36 as it's bigger! But seems they are not popular here and I can't find any source online.

whwong

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sorry, im not familiar with either one of them, i tried a google search but found nothing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you want a bigger plane, why not the regular Super Sportster? It also comes with 550 sized motor, ~48" span.
    http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma1160.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I heard some feedback that the larger GP super sportster is not as well built as the mini. And at the same size of the spree sports M36, it is much heavier than the 2lb weight of the M36. For the super light M36, I can almost use the same power system of the mini SS.

whwong

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast