Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

E-Flight J-3 Cub

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 08:26 AM
heli143
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Flight J-3 Cub

Hi guys,
has anyone out there bought one of these. I am trying to find out everything I can about it before I sink my money into it.
I am interested in finding out details regarding power systems and flying characteristics.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:08 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: E-Flight J-3 Cub

I picked one up with the floats last night. I don't have motor, battery, or speed controller yet though. I probably won't get around to assembling for about two months. My goal is to collect all the reqired parts and have it assembled for our October float fly.

Overall impression was that it looks well made. But, that is first impression looking through one at the hobby shop.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:09 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plane flies very well and is pretty quick to assemble. The Power 25 is all you need for this bird, nothing more. It will pull it through the air with plenty of authority with the wheels or floats, what ever you choose. Use either the Thunder Power 4200 3S2P Li-Po or E-flites new 1800 NiMh 10 cell battery. The Ni-Mh will give you about 9 minutes of flight time, and you will see close to 20 minutes with the Li-Po. The plane is set up to accept the new mini servos from the JR Sport line, MN-48's. The Cub can do any basic manuever you woul dlike to do, and inverted flight requires almost no down elevator. The fuselage is built of ply and spruce, is very robust, and is ready to accept the new E-flite floats (EFLA500) if you have water around you. We use the APC 12x6E prop as well as our E-flite 40A ESC.

We really like it and it flies very well. I just put a flight on mine not 20 minutes ago on thelake in my backyard.

You Cub lovers are going to love this one.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:17 AM
P-51B

Wow, 20 minutes on the LiPO, sounds good since that is what I plan to use.

Tell me, have you had an issues with water spray going through the hatch vent holes?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:54 AM
heli143

Thanks for the info. I have been leaning more towards electric planes lately.

take care.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:05 PM
John Redman

There is a very small amount of water spray that gets in there, but not anything to worry about. I address the takeoff in the manual. Have not had any issues with it at all.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:00 AM
P-51B

Thanks again! I ordered some of the TP battery packs yesterday. When they arrive I will go about picking up a motor and speed control. Then all I will need is the servos!
Old 06-22-2006, 10:42 PM
RCslopeking

Maybe another good idea I can suggest is not to buy a 4200 mah pack. Just buy (2) 2100 mah packs and just put them in parrallel. Then later on you can use the 2100's for somthing else seperatly if need be. Also instead of having a pushrod go from the rudder to the water rudder, use a separate servo and mount it in the float and silicon it. Servos are pretty much water prove as I found out with my boat. Now you can go from water to ground landings easier.

MIKI
Old 06-29-2006, 07:57 PM
myamark

Hello fellows .I also put together the cub with floats .I used an axi 2820/10 and a model moters 4032 opto and use a seperate receiver battery as e-flight advises .I got smart and used two 2100 lipo batteries plugged into one of the kokham boards for ganging batteries .My set up may seem to be a little heavy with the floats and all the gear but the plane jumps out of the water like a duck ! .I am very happy with it and have two sets of batteries and fly 15 minutes easy ,could do more but I want a margin .Landings are a blast and am even enjoying splash and goes .I have only flown it one very calm evening on lake ontario so far but am very impressed . I got to thank e-flight for another winner ,so far I have not regretted a single purchase from them .I am a brand new member and this is my first post
Old 06-29-2006, 08:03 PM
myamark

Another thing to add , I did get more water in than I liked to see around the electrics so I recovered the hatch ,not to worried about cooling since the plane flies great at half power
Old 06-30-2006, 07:21 AM
heli143

Myamark,
first of all welcome to a great site!
Congrats on your success with the J-3 and for letting us know what equipment you used. it gives us known choices for those that want to use something other than the recommended parts.
take care.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:55 AM
bladebender

just put on together bought the bar to put 2 2100 packs together not shure how to hook up parrallel do you have a picture Rich
Old 06-30-2006, 02:18 PM
r/cdawg

myamark,
Nothing sweeter than shooting splash and goes on a calm summer evening and it must be even nicer to do it silently. Did you get any pictures of your set up and of you flying it?
dawg
Old 06-30-2006, 02:59 PM
myamark

No I did not consider pictures but I will get some .We are getting a lot of wind lately so I am not sure when I will get out again .I have decided to keep the cub as a float plane ,I may even put a little canoe on it .For the fellow with the deans conector bar, to put a plug on it use two peices of wire with aligator clips and a battery move the clips about on the solder points which are the circles with the holes and with a voltage testor you will soon see where to solder it and then heat shrink the bar and cut out the plugs you need ,some guys cut the bar in sections if they are only going to use part of it
Old 07-03-2006, 05:34 PM
COL J

I just received mine three days ago. I'll have to say that Horizon has done an excellent job here with this one. This little Cub is extremely well built and a lot of attention to detail. everthing fits to a tee. and is a real pleasure to work with.I live on a lake and plan to fly it off my dock. I haven't receive d the floats as they are on back order.

I did take the suggestion that was with the kit and bought a Hobbly Lobby Ultimate BEC. Horizon states that in some cases of real hot days and a lot of extreme maneuvers, the BEC in the ESC won't handle the load and can shut down. this may not happen but thought it was a good idea. Can't wait to get this pretty little bird in the air.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:19 PM
makiedog

Does one have to use the TP Lipo pack? Or can one use the cheaper 2X 10C or 12C 2200mAh packs from the e-Model brand? They're about 1/2 the price of the TP packs. I also read somewhere that using the eFlite S75 servos draw less amp, hence is safer to be used with the eFlite ESC. Is that recommended?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:32 AM
1911fan
My Feedback: (1)

I have looked at this plane and it looks great at the hobby shop. I was wondering if anyone had installed a glow engine on it? I live on a farm with several large ponds so I would like to try a .25LA or similar engine instead of battery power. I like the sound and smoke of glow and I have no desire to spend a few hundred dollars on the motor, esc and lip-os. Don't get me wrong, I like electrics and have a half dozen foamies and other electrics and a dozen lip-os. I just don't want to fly this cub with the electric set-up.

Does anyone have any idea if a .25 LA and 8 oz tank would match the balance point the same as a beefy electric motor and the heavy battery pak? I figure I could use any nylon motor mount and make it work. any advice is welcome.
Larry
Old 07-06-2006, 11:54 AM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: RCslopeking

Maybe another good idea I can suggest is not to buy a 4200 mah pack. Just buy (2) 2100 mah packs and just put them in parrallel. Then later on you can use the 2100's for somthing else seperatly if need be. Also instead of having a pushrod go from the rudder to the water rudder, use a separate servo and mount it in the float and silicon it. Servos are pretty much water prove as I found out with my boat. Now you can go from water to ground landings easier.

MIKI
I went with the 4200 tp packs. I can use one in the cub...or gang two for my 4130 powered Fliton Edge...
Old 07-06-2006, 01:50 PM
COL J

Has anyone else had trouble getting their floats?

What is anyone's impression(s) of flying this bird and on the floats. It looks like it will be a good flyer. I'm still waiting on my battery pack.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:53 AM
COL J

Hello P-51B,

How are you coming with your Cub. I finally got the TP 4200 pack and got the copnnectors soldered on and on the charger. So, should be able to do some testing this PM. Wished I had the floats though.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:13 AM
P-51B

Mine is sitting in the box still. I have the batteries in hand, but with the holiday travel and working on the sig mayhem and fliton edge, I haven't had a chance to pick up the motor for the cub yet.

I plan to pick up the motor later in the week.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:07 PM
acmcelroy
My Feedback: (12)

I just maidened my e-flite cub on floats today. Everything went well and I was very impressed by the both the in-flight and water handling. It has to be one of the best designed packages around as well as being well-built. I'm running a HiMax 3528-1000 with a 3700Mah "twenty" pack. It flies at 1/2 throttle so I was able to get two good flights out of it. After watching how much difficulty some of the other guys were having with their floatplanes I was really happy with the cub. I did put some yellow tape around all the seams for water protection but that's all I had to do extra.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:24 PM
John Redman

It seems as though most are pleased with the new J-3 Cub. We worked hard to bring it to life. There were alot of float flights when the water temp was in the 40's here in Illinois.

We found at SEFF this year that our Ultra Stick 25e would have an occassional shut down during extreme manuevering with the warm Georgia temperatures. Because of this we added the advisory into the kit as most of you have found. We are sorry we weren't able to test fly on many warm sunny days, but there just aren't that many of those during the winter months in Illinois.

The servo of choice for the Cub is the JR Sport MN-48 mini. Works great and fits the holes in the kit.

We also have a 10 cell NiMh battery available through E-flite (EFLB4010) that gives you 8 solid minutes of flight on the water with power almost comparable to teh 4200 Li-Po for under $40.

Hope you guys continue to enjoy the Cub and keep in mind the new Ultra Stick 25e uses the same floats, and is a blast to fly.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Skyluck

John, I was at SEFF also and was very impressed with the CUB's flight and recently picked one up. My son and I just started flying in September and are a little bit lost on the best way to go on the ESC issue. Can we run the regular ESC and not disable the BEC portion and just add a 4.8 flight pack to an open pin? And secondly, what are the pros and cons of using a separate BEC vs. a second small lipo pack with a voltage regulator or something... Thenks for any help and amazing job at SEFF!
Old 07-11-2006, 12:29 PM
John Redman

Hey Skyluck,

We have actually added an advisory to teh J-3 Cub kit on disabling the BEC portion of the ESC and using a separate rx pack. We found that under higher temperatures and hard/extreme flight manuevering we could get the BEC to shut down.

I would disable the BEC portion (pull out the red lead from the plug where it goes into the receiver) and add a separate rx pack (600 mah would be fine. As for using the spearate BEC this might be doable, but I am not fully versed on what is out there. I do know the separate rx pack will do the job.

SEFF was great this year and we will be back next year even stronger than before.

Take care,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.