Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Mini Ultra Stick PNP ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 12:21 PM
larrwill
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Ultra Stick PNP ???

Looking for my first electric, so the Mini Ultra Stick PNP Plug-n-Play version seems like a good deal.
My question is, are the components i.e. Servos, ESC, and motor any good in the PNP? I have read many post about the Typhoon PNP having stripped servo problems, don't know if they both use the same servos. Any recommendations / advice?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Doc Austin

Default RE: Mini Ultra Stick PNP ???

ORIGINAL: larrwill
Looking for my first electric, so the Mini Ultra Stick PNP Plug-n-Play version seems like a good deal.
From what I can see, they jammed about $300 worth of stuff into a $200 package.

My question is, are the components i.e. Servos,
E flite servos, which are supposed to be good. I have a sneaky suspicion they are made by JR.

ESC,
E Flite 22 amp. I believe this is a brand new speed controller, so it will have all the latest technology. The E Flite controlers have a "soft cut off" meaning you will have a progressive losss of power towards the end of the battery charge. This way you will have enough power to land the plane instead of the motor just quitting with no warning. I won't use anything but an E Flite speed controller.

and motor any good in the PNP?
The Mini Ultra Stick was designed for the 420 and 450 outrunner motors, so the enclosed 450 is a good package. Previously, E Flite recommended a 20 amp ESP for the 450, but they have included a 22 amp ESC in the Ultra Strick PNP. I have no way of knowing, but I'm guessing they have hotrodded the motor a little, thus the need for a slightly bigger ESC.

Now, if you want to go completely sick, hang a 480 on the thing. You'll need a 2100mah pack, so there goes any pretense of a light plane, but boy is it ever brutal.

I'm thinking that with a 1320mah pack and the 450 that the package will be really nicely balanced.

I have read many post about the Typhoon PNP having stripped servo problems, don't know if they both use the same servos.
Yeah, I stripped out all the servos on my Typhoon, but the servos aren't the same. I almost quit flying again because I hated that plane so much, but once I flew a Mini Ultra Stick I started enjoying myself again.

Any recommendations / advice?
If you like the plane, just get it, and get a 1320mah pack to power it. Set it up the way the instructions call for and go fly it.

Here's what I wrote about mine..............

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5468

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...63#post5439473

Old 07-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Wide Open

thats some good info. im hoping to be able to get one also. at least i shouldnt be concerned with the electronics.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:27 AM
larrwill

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and bought one. One batteries worth of flying and so far so good.
The elevator hinges had way to much CA and was very stiff. I worked it back and forth quite abit before installing hopefully it will be ok.
I flew it in my front yard...put it away after almost hitting the neighbors house...I'll try again later...
Old 07-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What ESC and servos does it come with?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 07-07-2006, 10:31 PM
larrwill

ESC is EFLA7310 - 22 amp with voltage cut set for 3 cell lipo it cannot be programmed for other batteries, the brake is set to off and is also not programmable.

Servo EFLR7110 - 9g
Old 07-16-2006, 09:41 PM
sea fury

I bought one on Fri. and flew it this afternoon. 3 hrs of "building", most of that was soldering the various connections. This is my first electric, and I am very pleased with it. It doesn't fly like my US 120 Lite with a Saito 180 the nose, but it was still very fun to fly.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Wide Open

well thats nice to know that all the electronics on it work![8D] what battery are you using?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:14 AM
Doc Austin

I ran into a friend of mine Saturday afternoon at the hobby shop and he was looking at the Mini Ultra Stick PNP. I told him "Get the thing and we'll go fly it in an hour," and that's what we did. He dropped by the house and we put his receiver in it, used a couple of my batteries (he didn't own any electric stuff yet) and were out at the field in about an hour.

First, for my tastes the thing comes with waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much aileron throw, so we moved the pushrod in at the servo one hole. It still rolled really quick, but it was manageable and my friend liked it that way.

It flies just like my Ultra Sticks except the little 450 doesn't have as much zip. It's not bad, but I like insane performance. Most guys will be delighted with it, and I'm sure it would be better with a 1320 pack instead of my 2100mah bricks. we were landing every 20 minutes to check everything, so the 450 isn't a current hog.

One thing I would change if I bought one is to reprogram the speed controller to have a faster start up. The motor doesn't snap to full power from a stop as fast as I'de like, but most guys will like it that way. I use the throttle alot so when I need power I need it now.
I don't know how to reprogram the speed controller, but I'm sure I can download the instructions from e flite's site.

Mostly my impression is this is a nice little plane that most guys will be delighted with. It does everything exactly like my Minis do because it's the identical airframe. At the cost of the plane and servos, the motor and speed controller is free, so it's a great bargain and a great way to get started in Ultra Sticks. For those who buy it, they can fly it until they want more power and then put the 480 in it. Even if you throw the 450 motor and speed controller away, it didn't cost you any extra money. But, be forewarned, the 480 is an insane power choice for this plane. most guys will like the 450 just fine, plus it's lighter and requires less battery.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:20 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Bought my MUS PNP yesterday and will be putting it together later on this afternoon after work.

Can't wait to get it up in the air and experience how great this plane is!

Old 07-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Wide Open

hey doc, i was planning on getting a 2100 lipo for it, do you think its too heavy? would a 1500 be better?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:04 PM
jmir

Had my maiden flight a couple of hours ago and everything went well. Excellent quality compared to other PNP's, plenty of power for all kinds of aerobatic maneuvers. Tried some hovering but did not do very well at that. I guess every plane is quite different when it comes to hovering..... may have to ad some weight to the tail.... but I will hold on for a while before I think about any mods.

Take offs and landings were excellent and only took a couple of clicks to get it trimmed properly. I did notice I had to click the elevator up slightly beyond neutral to make it fly level. It did affect inverted flight since I had to keep some down elevator to keep it flying level while inverted. Need to check the CG to see if that's what is causing the need for up elevator adjustment. Loops and rolls were very smooth at both HI and LO rates.

Overall: I'm very impressed with the MUS -- It will most likely become my best friend!! I highly recommend it.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Doc Austin

Sorry I took so long to get back to you. I've been out flying my new Ultra Stick 25E all week and have been offline.

ORIGINAL: Wide Open

Hey Doc, I was planning on getting a 2100 lipo for it, do you think its too heavy? would a 1500 be better?
My friend who bought the PNP didn't have any batteries because he's a nitro guy, so we used my 2100s. The PNP was fine with the big battery, but I'm sure it would be even better with a 1320 or so. With the 2100 and 450 motor, we had more run time than we could use. We really don't know how long it would run, but I'm suspecting 20 minutes would be easy.

I fly 2100s in all of my Minis, but remember I've got that firebreathing 480 on the nose. The PNP with the 2100 seemed to fly just like my plane, only without so much power. Really, you don't need the 2100 unless you want a big gas tank or plan to upgrade to the 480 later.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Wide Open

thanks, ill just go for the electrifly 1500 balancing one then. ive already got the triton charger, so its easiest for me to get their balancer and lipos.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:53 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I really have to wonder why they didn't put the 480 on the PNP instead of the 450.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Wide Open

ORIGINAL: P-51B

I really have to wonder why they didn't put the 480 on the PNP instead of the 450.
make it more affordable?[&:]
Old 07-20-2006, 02:04 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Wide Open

ORIGINAL: P-51B

make it more affordable?[&:]

$5.00 difference [:@]
Old 07-26-2006, 07:12 AM
larrwill

Just an update to this post. I have quite a few flights on the MUS now and have had no problems with any of the electronics. The only change I have made was to remove the stock electric connectors and replace with Deans.
I also tried using a 1320 battery and it seems to balance better then the 2100 but I can't say it made much difference flying, at least with my skill level. Still had plenty of flight time on the 1320.
Only problem I had is the landing gear mount is not very strong combined with very long gear, and I managed to break it off on a landing. I repaired it once but it did not last. I belly landed it a few times but as the ESC does not have a brake, I went through a couple props. The solution was to mount a couple wood dowels through the fuse and rubber band the gear on.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:27 PM
kevestes

The PNP was fine with the big battery, but I'm sure it would be even better with a 1320 or so. With the 2100 and 450 motor, we had more run time than we could use. We really don't know how long it would run, but I'm suspecting 20 minutes would be easy.
I fly every evening with a 900, 1320 and 2100 and surprisingly there is not a huge difference between the packs in performance. I only get 45 minutes before dark from the time the last golfer gets off the par 5 hole behind my house so I never do fully exhaust my batteries.

I just have an economy charger but I think the 2100 is about half to 2/3's discharged after about 15 minutes. It does get sluggish at that point with the 450 motor so I just pop in the next battery.

With the 900 it has an AUW of about 17oz according to my cheap postage meter and crawls with Crow enabled. Probably my favorite of the three to fly with. With the 900 tucked in the very front of the battery compartment, it balances perfectly. I would estimate flight times with conservative flying at 12, 15 and 24 minutes respectively.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:03 PM
treedog

Ok so my next ? is i have 2 brand new Ap .09 Hornets, and i'd love to bash this creature up and see how it performs on nitro. Any advicewould be appreciated as i just ordered the basic arf.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: larrwill

Only problem I had is the landing gear mount is not very strong combined with very long gear, and I managed to break it off on a landing.
I use nylon bolts on mine and I've never ripped the bottom out. With an impact big enough to otherwise hurt the plane, the bolts will shear off first, and I'm absolutely sure this has saved me from really tearing the plane up.

I belly landed it a few times but as the ESC does not have a brake, I went through a couple props.
Actually, it does have a brake but you have to program it. I don't know how, but I'll bet E Flite tech support could tell you what to do.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Wide Open

doesnt using the brake shorten the life of your motor though?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:42 AM
kevestes

doesnt using the brake shorten the life of your motor though?
Would probably cause excessive wear on a brushed motor but wouldn't think that a brushless would care. Maybe use a smidgen more battery.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:47 AM
larrwill

Humm...The instructions that come with the PNP ESC specifically state that the brake cannot be programmed, and it's not the same ESC as EFlight sells separately. I tried fiddling with the programming but was only able to reverse the direction of rotation. If anyone knows of a secret way of programming the PNP ESC I would be curious to know, although as I am no longer belly landing it is not critical.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:01 AM
jmir

Doc,

Where do you get the nylon bolts? Are they readily available at LHS's?
I hard landed my MUS once and did a little damage to the fuselage, not bad, but I sure want to avoid any greater damage.
I can land it nicely, but that day was rather windy and landed a little too hard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.