Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Plane for 100 x 200 field?

Old 07-09-2006, 09:01 AM
larrwill
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane for 100 x 200 field?

Looking for suggestions on an aerobatic plane for a small field 100' x 200'. I am new to electrics and bought a Mini Ultra Stick thinking this would do. While it is possible, the MUS is too fast and fragile to actually be fun in this small space.
Also, something really durable would be nice to fly low etc. without worry. I don't mind a profile, but prefer something with an airfoil wing over the flat style planes.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Plane for 100 x 200 field?

ORIGINAL: larrwill

Looking for suggestions on an aerobatic plane for a small field 100' x 200'. I am new to electrics and bought a Mini Ultra Stick thinking this would do. While it is possible, the MUS is too fast and fragile to actually be fun in this small space.
Also, something really durable would be nice to fly low etc. without worry. I don't mind a profile, but prefer something with an airfoil wing over the flat style planes.

Thanks
You might look at the GWS Tigermoth. It's a 3-channel foam bipe. Flies pretty slowly, looks good in the air . Don't know how aerobatic you want your plane to be. I have the larger, 4-channel, Tigermoth 400 version, think I could fly it in the space you have. Do you have tall trees around?

Cheers,

CR
Old 07-09-2006, 11:51 AM
normgoyer

Hi it is not the size of the field but what is on the boundaries. Any model is capable of taking off from that size but keeping it over that patch of ground would be a miracle unless you were an accomplihsed 3-D flyer or had a very light weight and slow and I mean slow airplane. Norm

suggest helicopters
Old 07-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Charley

ORIGINAL: normgoyer

Hi it is not the size of the field but what is on the boundaries. Any model is capable of taking off from that size but keeping it over that patch of ground would be a miracle unless you were an accomplihsed 3-D flyer or had a very light weight and slow and I mean slow airplane. Norm

suggest helicopters
Hmmm, don't think I'd let you fly my TM. ;^)

CR
Old 07-09-2006, 04:18 PM
normgoyer

Hi Charlie, you are probably right but what is a TM? Norm
Old 07-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Scar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Telemaster. It's a big plane.

I have a Clancy Lazy Bee, electric 3 channel. Seldom leave the immediate vicinity of the runway, I'm sure I could fly it within a 100' x 200' space. Same for my X250. They both handle mild wind pretty well.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 07-09-2006, 08:20 PM
normgoyer

Hi, TM great plane have had many of them and in fact taught all my kids to fly with one. There are 10 of them flying each week at our club field. My field is 15 miles long and 3 miles long and I still manage to run into my Suburban every now and then. Norm

over the 15 years I have had the big old beast there are three dents from prop spinners one by me and two by my kids
Old 07-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Charley

TM = TigerMoth. I mentioned both GWS versions in my first post. Everyone needs to read the entire thread. It's drifting, guys. ;^)

I'm sure a competent pilot could fly the small version in a 100' by 200' box easily.

CR
Old 07-09-2006, 09:52 PM
larrwill

The 100x200 is currently clear of trees and is my front yard. There is a group of very tall trees accross the street about 40' from the front 200' side of the space, and houses around, I could probably call it 140x230. The boundries of the space are not all solid (i.e. trees and houses) but I perfer to not fly over neighbors yards and houses.

Not an expert, intermediate skill level. I had a tough time keeping the MUS in that space and strayed out most of the time.

I would like it to be as aerobatic as possible.

What is an X250?
Old 07-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Charley

The 100x200 is currently clear of trees and is my front yard. There is a group of very tall trees accross the street about 40' from the front 200' side of the space, and houses around, I could probably call it 140x230. The boundries of the space are not all solid (i.e. trees and houses) but I perfer to not fly over neighbors yards and houses.

Not an expert, intermediate skill level. I had a tough time keeping the MUS in that space and strayed out most of the time.

I would like it to be as aerobatic as possible.

What is an X250?
My, you have a big front yard. I'm envious. My neighborhood is thick with trees that overhang the streets. The closest place with room for park flying is a local schoolyard or the park. The trouble is that the park is never really empty of people and their animals. I'm not comfortable flying there; too many things can go wrong. Too bad, because I bought the TigerMoth 400 with flying in the park in mind. I can fly it in the school yard when no kids are present but that doesn't happen very often.

Not surprised you have trouble keeping the MUS in the available air space. One of my friends has one. I've flown it. It's not as fast as my Super Sportster EP but it's quick enough at full power. Both of them will glide a long way in ground effect unless you drag them in at a high AoA, or slip them in. Have you tried the flaps on the MUS?

I did a Google search on "x250 model airplane." Came up with a X250 low wing model from SR Batteries. That might be it. About the same size as the MUS and slicker.

Cheers,

CR
Old 07-10-2006, 09:52 AM
normgoyer

For years I lived in West Mass and lost just too many early RC models in the trees and corn fields. My brother who lives in Syracuse, NY has no place to fly his electric airplane so had to switch to helicopters. I got tired of digging my full scale aircraft out of the snow and ice and bailed for California and the High Desert 33 years ago. Now I can fly every day of the year, real or scale size. It was the single smartest decision I have ever made. Your feet are not welded to your hometown, they can be moved. Norm
Old 07-10-2006, 11:35 AM
BobbyGee

Thanks

Check out the Mountain Models Magpie Sport. You should be able to keep it in that space. It's a 4 channel set up.

It's foam with an airfoil wing. Flies slow.

Here's a link to the page on that plane. Click on the "Images" tab for videos of it in flight.

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...dbe49a7ff5cc3b

Hope this helps,

BobbyG

Old 07-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Charley

For years I lived in West Mass and lost just too many early RC models in the trees and corn fields. My brother who lives in Syracuse, NY has no place to fly his electric airplane so had to switch to helicopters. I got tired of digging my full scale aircraft out of the snow and ice and bailed for California and the High Desert 33 years ago. Now I can fly every day of the year, real or scale size. It was the single smartest decision I have ever made. Your feet are not welded to your hometown, they can be moved. Norm
Norm,

I'm not complaining, just stating the facts of my residential area. I'm not moving anywhere . This is my retirement home; I just turned 68. I'm 6 miles from my club field and can get there in 15 minutes. That'where I do most of my flying - 1/4 scale to park flyiers.

Anyway Norm, you sure know how to add off-topic comments to a thread.

Cheers,

CR
Old 07-10-2006, 12:13 PM
normgoyer

Hi Charley, Texas is good RC country, son Robert lives in Austin. 68, you're a youngster. Norm
Old 07-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Charley

ORIGINAL: BobbyGee

Check out the Mountain Models Magpie Sport. You should be able to keep it in that space. It's a 4 channel set up.

It's foam with an airfoil wing. Flies slow.

Here's a link to the page on that plane. Click on the "Images" tab for videos of it in flight.

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...dbe49a7ff5cc3b

Hope this helps,

BobbyG

Hi Bobby,

If I was looking for a small-field aerobat, that Panic 3D would be my choice instead of the Magpie.

Cheers,

CR
Old 07-11-2006, 12:22 AM
BobbyGee

ORIGINAL: Charley

Hi Bobby,

If I was looking for a small-field aerobat, that Panic 3D would be my choice instead of the Magpie.

Cheers,

CR

Yup. The Panic was my first thought, then it seemed to me that larwill might be looking for something a little tamer and more of a "lazy" front yard flyer that can do some aerobatics without being necessarily a growler.

The Magpie came to mind because of that - sort of a Sunday flyer kind of plane.

Panic is a good possibility, too. No denying that.

Both are airfoil wing foamies that can take a ding and not have to go in for repairs every time.

BobbyG

Old 07-11-2006, 07:04 AM
Doc Austin

I am new to electrics and bought a Mini Ultra Stick thinking this would do. While it is possible, the MUS is too fast and fragile to actually be fun in this small space.
If you have a radio that's capable of mixing you can always install the crow feature on your MUS. Crow is ailerons up and flaps down. It acts like a big airbrake, and from what I've been told, you can dive the airplane straight down and it won't build up any airspeed.

http://wattflyer.com/forums/archive/...hp/t-3562.html

However, it is a fast plane and it covers ground so fast that even a soccer field is a little marginal. I've got four of them and think it's the perfect plane, but not for a field as small as you're talking about. Maybe if you added crow.

Lots of guys like the slo stick, but I've never seen one fly. I don't think they are very fast, so it would be ideal for a small field.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:52 AM
larrwill

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
The Mountain Models foam planes look interesting, both the Magpie Sport and Panic. I would lean toward the Panic but then maybe the Magpie Sport would be easier. Maybe I'll look at some of the small foam 3D planes also. Still open to suggestions. If I have success with this I'll post the results.

I have a computer radio so when I get a bit better with the MUS I'll try the crow and flaps.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2006, 06:55 PM
aa2dd

If you are looking for a great flying 3D type, then take a look at North East Sail Planes "Tuff-E" It will fly in a parking lot, go NUTZ with big throws, or will fly docile with low throws. It is a blast to fly! Made from EPP foam ... takes a lickin and keeps on tickin!

Bruce
Old 07-13-2006, 08:24 PM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am flying a MUS now and it would be tough with only that much room. I built a Mountain Models Tantrum 3D and flew it from the infield of my son's T-Ball field after games. It was tight with trees and tall pole lights all around but you can harrier so slow and turn so tight it made it possible.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:24 PM
deadstik3

Thanks
dont know if this helps alot but im flying a pf 540t in the soccer field next door to my place she handles well turns great got plenty of control surface brushless li-po rtf best of all made from epp 22oz. total weight.repairs really well with some epoxy and patience. 36" wing span acts just like its big brother. of course its midwing . get about 15minutes at 50% throttle.ck it out at www.parkflyers.com. its had some mixed reveiws but once i got use to it have had no problems. lands well full up at 5 ft will normally drop her right down no good looking rollout though.

good flying
ds3
Old 08-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Russel-RC

hey i fly in a feild about that size with goal posts in the way and i fly a pylon racer alon with other planes. the preoblem isnt the feild really what you need to consider is your skill level if you are beginner i suggest a firebird slow but not to slow. You will be fine all you need to do is take off the climb out to about 100 feet or so then you will be fine and have all the space you need i suggest flying and a 300 by 300 yrds perimeter but for tricks climb about another 25 or descend. what ever you are more comfortable with and preform them above the feild only
Old 08-08-2006, 06:34 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

airfoilz yak 54, by a longshot...

meets all your criteria, has an airfoil, is extremely aerobatic yet stable and tame, slows to a crawl and harriers without any wing rock; you can literally walk behind it as you circle your patch...

I fly it in a 20 by 60 clearing... the rest of the park in front of my house is trees and power lines!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:32 PM
mikeygp
My Feedback: (6)

I think the AirfoilZ Yak is the ticket here is my video of me in my front yard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIXHe_WQth4
Old 08-09-2006, 11:54 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

I should have said EXCEEDS all your criteria...

Mikey, my "park" is a fraction of the size of your front yard, and literally riddled with obstacles, my flying skills are a mere fraction of yours, it'll be a while before i feel comfortable hovering in my living room, i still try to keep it higher than ceiling hight when i do hover outside... But my point is if a novice pilot like me can have fun with it in such a small area i think most anyone should be able to handle it in a 100x200 foot area. Of course the usual precautions and common sense apply...

The yak seems to be the ideal version for this purpose, that was probably what made me lean towards it over the others but i am sure the mobius and the edge would still be better than pretty much anything else on the market. If you want "large scale" stick time anywhere anytime these things are the ticket.

I am by no means affiliated with airfoilz or 3dx hobbies and unfortunately, i will pay for my next airfoilz just like everyone else.

I just watched the mobius video, not every day do you see a pattern plane hover like that, most all of them have ailerons that stop short of prop wash, this really hurts their roll control at low speed, and allows no roll control at all in a hover. These guys pulled it off, look at those multi point rolls, I'd be hard pressed to do that with a gws formosa 1 on low rates. And give it the rates you want it ain't 3d'ing like this bird.

Even someone looking for an aerobat rather than a 3d plane can enjoy these because they really fly too, and contrary to your average aerobat if your rates are high enough you can literally yank it out of the nastyest situations without risking a stick fight to the ground.

oh and larrwill, whatever gear you have in your mini ultra stick should do just fine on these 3 planes. for the purpose of aerobatic flying. a lighter pack than a 2100 would be preferable though i'd fly one in a 100x200 with confidence, in even greater winds than it can allready handle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.