Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

E-flite J-3 Cub 25 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:36 PM
zzz12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-flite J-3 Cub 25 ARF

Can you help me . do you have two batterys in this plane one for the motor and one to power the servos. Or can you power it all on the lipo. plz help thanks.[:@]
Old 05-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Falconjet50

It is my understanding that with most speed contols you can not go with more that three cells if you would like to run the servos with the battery. You will need to use a BEC if you would lie to run more than three cell battery. On my cub I use a 3 cell 4200 Mah battery and it also runs the servos. I did not want to use a BEC set up with an extra battery to run the servos. I am use a Phonix 60 amp ESC from Castle creations in my cub with the Power 32 motor. I get about 17 minutes of flight time with this set up with plenty of power on floats.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:37 AM
zzz12

Thanks for the help. I have the Thunder Power 4200 11.1 li-po battery can you run the motor and the servos on it. With out putting a battery in for just the servos. because there are lots of pic of the plane having two battery.[:'(]
Old 05-21-2007, 06:41 AM
zzz12

Can you put some pic of the set up plz. thanks for your help.[&:]
Old 05-21-2007, 07:10 AM
lthibault

You need a separate battery to avoid burning the 40 AMP Eflite ESC, leaving the plane totally uncontrollable.

There's a warning about it in the Eflight instructions. If you don't you run the risk of burning the ESC especially during hot weather or when you pull lots of amps from the motor.

Better safe than sorry. My 2 cents.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Falconjet50

You can run the ESC with the 3s 11.1 volts but like the last response stated you may burn up the 40 amp esc from eflite. I went with a bigger esc 60 amp which is recommended for the power 32 motor. I would go for a 60 amp esc or run it as a BEC. I have had no heat issues with mine. I will try and get you some pics. Like I mentioned before most ESC will only allow 3s batteries, if you are going to run a 4s battery you need to use a BEC set up
Old 05-22-2007, 02:42 AM
zzz12

Thanks for your help . Could you put some pics of the way you wired the battery motor and receiver, 40-amp speed control. into the plane. So i can see. [X(]
Old 05-24-2007, 02:16 PM
hobiecatlob

I am planning on maidening my J-3 on floats this weekend. I have never flown it. I have a lot of experience on a 3 channel HZ Super Cub so needless to say I am quite nervous about this first flight on a much bigger/more powerful plane. Any last minute advice from any of you flying it on floats. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2007, 06:04 PM
lthibault

It is much easier than pavement take-off! I'd recommend to follow the instruction manual, use a lot of up elevator at the beginning, slowly level it and it will take-off very graciously.

Just remember to modify the battery hatch; put some masking tape to cover the holes to prevent water from entering the ESC, I personnaly decided to put yellow cover on it. Your choice.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Falconjet50

I wanted to add to be careful about over banking, I crashed my first cub over banking it in a turn and it ended up cross control stalling and slaming into the lake. Yes a new cub was inorder. I luckly saved all of the electonics and dryed them out. So far no problems with my new cub about five flights on it. Also be carful about the amount of travel of each control surface. Set them up like the manual suggests. I had my high at full throw , this I found out later was too much. The guy at the hobby store said it would be OK at full travel, NOT!! The cub did the exact manuever they talk about in the back of the Maunual about overbanking and pulling back on the elevator. Other than that just the cub flies great. Just take it easy , unlike me, your first time out just box patterns at first. Good Luck.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:35 AM
zzz12

Can you help how do you stop the BEC from working on the E-flite 40 Amp Brushless ESC. Which wire do you cut. So i can power the servo with one battery and have the Li-po power the motor. Thanks[:@][:@]
Old 05-26-2007, 09:05 AM
xrossbow

I use a Castle Creations 45. It's the red wire on it, center wire in this case.

But I don't cut it. Using a small screw driver, very gently lift the little plastic retaining finger in the connector that holds the red wire in and pull the wire and metal contact out. Insulate that wire with heat shrink or tape. This way you can re-use it for bec if you so choose.

Another choice might be to use a short servo extension cable and cut the wire in it. That way you haven't damaged the wire on your esc. But I use the first method.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:35 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Well, I finally got to maiden my cubby with the 25 on it this weekend.

The take off was, shall we say hair raising! Once in the air it flew nicely, and could readily be put into a spin. I also learned that the CG range is large. I had a new pak in it...that I forgot to put velcro on the bottom of. Well, the velcro holding strap allowed the pack to slide all the way back to the servos putting the CG about an ince behind the back of the recommended range, but the plane still handled well (as I found this after landing). The 25 seemed to be good power for it. It would climb vertically for quite a while, and I could easily power out of trouble that I put it into to test this.

The second flight...still had a hair raising takeoff. The landings are beautiful, it really likes to come in on the mains!

I went home and put the floats on it last night. Weather permitting it will get is float maiden this Sunday at one of my clubs picnics. Oh, it will also be my first time flying off water!

I haven't mounted the extra vertical stabilizer (under the fuze) yet, is it really needed on the cub with floats?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:53 PM
hobiecatlob

I maidened mine last weekend and it was great. I had to make a fairly large CG adjustmust as during my first flight it was hard to keep level but after that it was great. Be careful of tight banks, I lost it once doing that - some damage but I've already repaired it. One thing as well I found is that it is good to apply the power quickly from a standstill on the water to get it quickly up on the step, it is far more controllable like that.

Have fun with your maiden on water, I sure had a blast with it!!!
Old 05-30-2007, 03:52 AM
zzz12

Thanks for the help xrossbow will do that
Old 05-30-2007, 08:26 AM
Falconjet50

When flying off floats let the cub accellerate a little faster than you would on wheel. Slowly pull back on the elevator. The important things is that you let it accellerate in ground effect ,about one wing span length above the surface, until the cub starts to fly. If you pull it into the air and try to climb before proper airspeed has been acheived , you may stall spin the cub. I have found that even with the Power 32 ungraded motor I put in it is still a little squirrely on take off, once in the air at a safe altitude it flies great. Just be very patinet on take off. Try not to turn the cub once in the air let it fly straingt ahead. IF you start a turn you will lose some horizontal componate of lift that could aggrevate a stall condition. On Landings, Learn to fly the Cub in slow flight. On landing in the water you do not want to come screeming in. It will hit the water and porpose throuhgtout the landing and can flip over. Once on the water make sure you use rudder to control and not too much aileron and you can catch a wing tip . I live on a lake which has a Cessna 182 on floats and I watch him on take off and his procedure is the same as the one required for our model flying. The floats are not light, it takes a significant more lift to get the J-3 airborn and the very last thing is to remeber to breath and have fun!!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:30 PM
isamike

Geez, I was going to maiden mine today, might have to give it a miss, seeing as I tought myself to fly again using low/mid wing aerobats (extras etc) its been 16 years since I have flown a high wing....
Old 06-02-2007, 02:26 PM
hobiecatlob

Hi all,

I think this question has been asked on this thread before but I can't find it. Do you think the wing struts are critical to the structural integrity of the wings or are they just to look scale? I would prefer not to use them but I don't want to do that if it is risky.

This is my second weekend using the J3 on floats. I absolutley love it. I am still tweaking the CG, trims, control throws etc.

On my last flight I really noticed the snap stall they refer to in the back of the manual. I think it was because I was flying using 50% power to lengthen my flight time. I will cruise at about 65% on my next flights and see how it does. With good throttle mgmt I am getting about 16-17 minute flights with a 11.1V 4000 mAh.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:22 AM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: hobiecatlob

Hi all,

I think this question has been asked on this thread before but I can't find it. Do you think the wing struts are critical to the structural integrity of the wings or are they just to look scale? I would prefer not to use them but I don't want to do that if it is risky.

The wing struts are decorative on this plane. I flew mine the first few times without them. I put them on after verifying the flight performance, since I can leave it assembeled for transport.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:28 PM
P-51B

Well,

The weather was rainy and got windy, but I managed to get in the maiden float flight on Sunday. It was pretty uneventful and I got it back down without dunking it!

It was doing something rather strange in flight, if anyone has some input. When the power was reduced, the plane tried to dive, not a little nose down, but a hard vertical dive. It would also exhibit this tendancy with the slightest touch of down elevator. The plane, with floats, balances right at the aft end of the CG range, and did require some up trim for level flight.

Without floats, it flew fine and did not exhibit this tendancy (even when the cg was shifted an inch behind the range).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83525.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	697446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60619.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	697447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33180.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	697448   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10921.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	697449  
Old 06-05-2007, 11:02 AM
windshadow

well I now have 7 flights on my new cub the first 3 were ruff take offs. I think I have it under control now. I start out down the grass run way with up elevator, at 1/4 throtle in about 25 ft she starts to lift off, you do have to make slite rudder adjustments, I ease off the elevator and let her clime out slowly. I am useing the 12x6 prop, 25 motor,45 amp castle bec and the 4200 tp pack great set up. On the timer I am flying 10 min , on charge I am putting back in 2200 to 2600 mah , on my last flight I was flying inverted and doing loops and rolls ,she looks great and flyies great too!
Old 06-06-2007, 01:57 AM
ZX11

My cub had its first flight today. Take off was smoother than I expected. It had hardly any takeoff yaw. I wound up getting in three flights with a couple landings and take offs in each flight. The grass at our field must have been too long since the cub nosed over a few times as it slowed in rollout. The 12x6 prop has plenty of grass stains as does the left wing strut and gear. The CC Thunderbird 54 speed controller won't play the initializing tones or spin the motor after the last flight. BEC part of the Thunderbird ESC works fine and all control surfaces move. It just wont turn the motor [] I land it with power off so I don't think the motor stalled on nose over. One thing that was odd, the gear wound up spreading out after a few landings. I didn't land it any different than I land my mini pulse XT which seemed soft enough. The cub gear must not think so. Take off did get pretty squirelly with the gear spread out (toeout). I learned to fly on the mini pulse in April and wanted to try a bigger plane with classic looks. The cub fills my second plane requirements great but I wish it handled the grass fields as well as my mini pulse.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Falconjet50

I had a problem with a take off this morning. No wind conditions, I rotated a little early and it got squirrely. It dipped left hard and I went right with the aleron. It then dipped again, so I elected to put it down, it ended up hitting the left float hard and nosed over. No damage just wet!!! It has been in this position before, just inconvienent because it has to dry out. Lesson to anyone flying floats , on calm days with no headwind componet let the cub accelerated a little fast before rotation and make the roatation slow. Oh well, thought I would share that expierence. I have about 1:20 minutes of cub float flying so far. My landing are getting better, on landing I have noticed you have to keep your speed up. You really have to fly it on the water. I tried to keep flaring it and on one of my landing it actually dipped a wing, luckly it was about three inches off the water. It ended up just landing on the left float. How are the grass landings, can you get it very slow on landing? These floats definatley change the flying charteristics of flying. [>:]
Old 06-12-2007, 10:08 PM
henson
My Feedback: (64)

Ive been flying mine with the 11.1v 2070 TP extreme packs.So far no problems,I put my timer on 10 minutes.My question is will I be okay putting floats on with these batteries?I know it will cut my run time down because of the extra weight and drag.I set the cub up per manual stuffed with e-flites electronics and jr sport servos.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Falconjet50

The set up you are using will still work, but I think you will see your flight times will dramaticly be reduced. I fly mine with a 3S 2100 pack will I am waiting for my 4200 Mah pack to charge. I really only fly it about 6 or 7 minutes with that battery on floats. The floats definatley add weight to the cub. You will lhave to use more throttle in cruise with the float than without. It is still possible however. I will run mine like that, just not very long flight times. Good Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.