Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: E-flite J-3 Cub 25 ARF

A few flying (on floats) questions:

1. When flying with floats, what power are you using usually? I am trying to keep it at about 65-75% I would like to use less but I am afraid of the stalling tendencies with the floats in a steep turn.

2. Is a side slip a technique that is possible with the model like it would be with a real J3 cub? If so and you use the manouver, how are you executing it?

3. I know it is said the cub is flown using a lot of rudder in a turn. How exactly do you do this? Do you get your bank angle with the ailerons and then use the rudder to help "bring" the plane around in its turn?

Thanks in adavce.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will fly my cub at about 55 to 60 percent. Just over half stick in normal cruise. Remenber I am running the power 32 motor. With proper powewr management I get around 20 minutes of flying and the battery is around 11.1 volts when I place it on the charge! I am usung a Max Amp 11.3 4200 Mah battery As for the foward slip it is possilbe, I tried it, just have to be careful not to let the nose come up. If it does you are setting yourself up for the perceft cross control stall. I do not think Slipping is necessary if you plan your landing. As for the rudder, I use the mixing feature on the DX-7. It works great I have mixed in about 15 percent of rudder with aleron and it turns great. Better than I can do with both rudder and Aleron. Just on take off and taxiing I turn off my Mixing. You don't want this on for those events. I am really enjoying flying the cub. I had a little accident the other day. No major damage. I took off in two little of distance , to avoid hitting a tree I turned it and stalled it into the lake. A little ripped moncoat, but a trip to the hobby store fixed that. The Cub is very strong and the water is a little more forgiving than land. Well that's all from Fort Lauderdale. Happy flying, keep the blue side up!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Howdy folks,

A question that has no doubt being answered and i know and trust the search function but i would like to try and find out if the e-flite 40 Amp ESC problem reported can be overcome using a higher rated ESC..?

Or is it best practice to get a BEC and run the receiver separate..?

thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: djlenny

Howdy folks,

A question that has no doubt being answered and i know and trust the search function but i would like to try and find out if the e-flite 40 Amp ESC problem reported can be overcome using a higher rated ESC..?

Or is it best practice to get a BEC and run the receiver separate..?

thanks

I have been using a Castle Creations Phoenix 60, since I had it on hand, haven't had an issue with it yet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My cub runs fine without the receiver battery using the new Thunderbird 54 ESC from CC. I have the recommended MN48 servos. As long as the servos aren't high draw digitals and the ESC gets cooling air, the onboard 3 amp BEC works fine. This is with 17minute flights (I get tired) with some loops, rolls and lots of low slow fly-bys.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I crashed my beloved J3

I took off on the lake this weekend into waves that were obviously too big. After about 15 or 20 feet of my take off run a wave sent me airborne and without more than a second or two passing I entered into a violent stall to the left. The windshield cracked and the wings split at the seam and flip upside down - therefore filling the whole front of the plane with water. I would be ok with the structural damage as I know I can repair that except for the fact that when I dried it off and plugged in the battery to test it out, there was no power The battery and ESC were completely submerged due to the cracked windshield and wings - I had to pour the water out of it.

What do you guys thing? Would it most likely be my ESC? My battery? My receiver seemed to stay pretty dry. After a few days of drying do you think it might work again?

I had at least 20 flights on it and 60 take offs and landings. Needless to say I am missing her already!!!

Any advice?

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info, i was hoping / thinking that one of the better branded and higher rated ESC's would 'cover' the need to have a seperate powered BEC.

I would think that if i was using Hitec servo's (non digi) then the draw would be low enough to not put out to much heat etc on the ESC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just let it dry out completely, I had the same thing happen from about 50 feet up. The J-3 was completely destroy but all electronics where fine. I had to take all the servos apart, full of water. The model was completely underwater, the only thing holding her up was the floats. I believe everything should be fine if it was not fried when you turned it on last with out having it completely dry. Keep us posted. All my electronics work fine, I have had no problems with water damage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ditto on the Castle 60, I too run mine with the 32 motor, Hitec servos, and it does just fine with out an rx pack or separate bec.
    Missing Man Formation, Looking heavenward you can't help but shed a tear, mournful, lonesome, a hole that screams out at you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can we see some more home videos of the e-flite cub landing and flying Thanks
    [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a video of mine taking off on floats:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DzVzBQBevTg

Enjoy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well this thread is getting very quiet so a little bit of feedback from Aylmer, QuΓ©bec.

For professional reasons I recently had to move from Montreal to this nice little town which is located about 20 miles west of Ottawa, Ontario. Guess what? There is a Marina and a nice beach just 5 minutes from my house

So the little bird is on the job very often! Tonight I went to the beach with my wife at sunset and made a couple of runs. Folks at the Marina were very impressed!

No real issue to report but the water rudder often drags algae that is growing even 50' offshore. I can notice it just by the way the plane behaves. Once airborn I can see some remainings on the rudder.

On floats this plane is a real joy. Having been through the nightmare of pavement take-off, I can certify that this is without a doute the easiest way to use this product.

My only sweat comes at take-off on windy conditions, the plane can bank suddenly on one side so you need to have good reflexes and correct it quickly.
    Luc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I just finished reading all 17 pages of this
    thread. Lots of good info here. I am building a
    Great Planes electric Cub, which is similar in
    size to the e flites Cub. I plan on getting the
    E flite Cub soon, as the GP build is going to
    take me into the Winter Months. My idea is
    to have 2 Cubs by next spring to go with my
    Heli. I hope this thread isn't dead.

Bob

dignlivn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw67311.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	744977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec89108.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	744978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ea84609.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	744979  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

An unusual situation today. Decided to bring the Cub along as I was going on a canoe trip with my youngest daughter. Taught it would be cool to fly the plane from one of the beaches located on Lake Phillipe in the Gatineau Park. We were towing the plane behind us with a yellow nylon cable.

Once we had lunch I gave it a try. Everything went well but it was windy, some waves on the lake and a lot of mountains and trees around us. I could fly it however and everything went OK.

On our way back I suddenly felt some resistance while I was paddling. I turned aroung and realized that the plane had dive underneath[X(]! It was completely submerged!

Once home I used my air compressor and blew all the water from the wings and fuselage; then removed the aileron servos, dried them as well, removed the receiver, opened it, blew it as well as the ESC.

Left all the pieces under the sun, reassembled everything and bingo! Tested it at the marina and everything worked OK
    Luc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What kind of Speed cpntrol are you using? Castle Creations? I have put my cub under water and it seems the Castle Creation Speed controls are great. They will not short out when they get wet. I have Castle ESC in two other of my palnes and have had to emergency land them in the lake and so far have not burned one of them up. The cub is a little small to tow behind a canoe. Is it not? Glad to hear it made a full recovery. One good thing is that you did not have the Battery connected to it when it went under!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is an Eflite 40 amps controller.

I was just lucky that all circuits were off and the Lipo battery was not installed!

Flew the cub again last night and everything is fine. Concerning the towing part, it went well when the wind was calm but when we came back it was stronger; the cub must have hit a wave or something, have no idea!

Luc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I crashed my Cub today, this will be the last record in this forum. I am out of the cub business. I have had my cub suspended in the garage by the wings. I beleive the weight of the cub on the wings weakend the wings. On the flight today the wings folded up at the conection point. Not good, I almost hit a parked car. I just missed it and it hit the black top. The battery caught fire, you should have seen the smoke!! I thought I set a car on fire, ooopps!!! It was a good way to end my cub flying career. I will be moving on thought to 3D flying with the Eflite Tribute 3dFX. I really don't have anywhere to store the cub and obviously hanging it by the wings proved to be catastrophic. We that's my story. I have really enjoyed the cub, maybe later on I may get another. What a great flying airplane. Oh, by the way the crash destroyed the motor , speed control, and I believe the reciever. Way to go out with a bang!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Come on people would love to see some more home vidoes of the cub landing ,pics .I posted some pics of my plane and the new landing gear for it. What do you think.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Luc, the problem was you were towing the Cub, should have been the other way around. Put the Cub in front, and use the prop to pull the canoe. Glad to hear it survived the dunking.

Falcon, Hmmmm, I mean the wings support the Cub in the air, I can't see hanging it by them would have caused a problem. All my birds hang from the wings on racks.

Only thing I can think is, did you have it hanging from the wingtips instead of near the fuselage?
    That might have put too much strain on the joint. Anyhow sorry to hear of the loss.

zzzzz, should have some video up next week. Christening my new flying field over Labor day week. Should be lots of carnage, as I have something like a dozen new birds to get maidened, and I really haven't done any flying for at least 6 months. [X(]
    Missing Man Formation, Looking heavenward you can't help but shed a tear, mournful, lonesome, a hole that screams out at you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

zzzzz, looked at your landing gear pics. All you need is to cover the springs with some black heat shrink. Will look like the boots that cover the set ups on a real Cub then.
    Just heat the very ends to collapse the tubing, will seal it off and still allow the springs to do their job.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well it survived...until the next day [&o]...

Went back to the marina, took off as usual and then...total madness[X(] ! The dang thing was doing everything but what I was commanding with my sticks...so it was flying away from shore...until it went down very hard and hit the water.

The best part? I didn't have any rescue boat...sun was going down, I had a 30 minutes window until dark.

So I walked to the marina headquarters, no one could help but after a while one of the young summer student working there accepted to use the Marina floating platform - normally used to repair boat - and off we went to the rescue! 20 minutes and 20 bucks later, my Cub was retrieved!

Floats exploded under shock, the propellor was broken (strange isn't it???), makes me wonder about what really happened? Maybe that some shock happened at take-off?

Unfortunately I started a very demanding job a month ago and I don't have any spare time on my hands for this hobby. Will need to come back later.

Good luck to everyone and enjoy this wonderful hobby.
    Luc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Luc,

The exact same thing happened to me. Check the servos. My elevator servos was stripped or something so it was totally uncontrollable. My floats were shredded due to the impact as well. I bought some higher torque servos, willl try them out soon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dang Luc, sounds like mass suicide, heck mine did itself in last week. Went bonkers on take off and plowed in. Thank goodness for a weak firewall, saved the motor, and the pack.

I had a rough week all around, my Camel spun a prop adapter and couldn't find a replacement to save my life, and my nearly new Hangar 9 P40 got nailed on it's second flight and totaled out, luckily(?) I wasn't behind the controls.

But, in all the carnage, wifey came through. She comes up as we are viewing the remains of the P40 and says"Awwww, I hope you are going to get another one, I liked it the best cause it had a face painted on it."

Note to self, paint faces on all aircraft from now on.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello all i have some pics of the landing gear with my black bunges on it . I think it looks like the real one what do you all think . Its a bit dead on here now were are all the videos and pic of it flying thanks.[img][/img][img][/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr54325.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	771941  

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast