Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Air Hogs Storm Launcher

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 03:40 AM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Hogs Storm Launcher

New twin engine electric is wild! See the video at www.stormlauncher.com
Wonder what nice mods we can dream up for this plane? Here is pic?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45029.jpg
Views:	2438
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	498978  
Old 07-30-2006, 08:50 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Hogs Storm Launcher

Flying hydros have been so over done that they've become passe[:'(]
Old 07-30-2006, 09:07 AM
bobzilla

I agree..so we don't get TOO bored with hydro's, what mod's can we do..?? Hacker motors, landing gear,
extreme speed? What about new ALTITUDE record for HYDRO?

bobz

Old 07-31-2006, 09:32 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

$80 ready to go? Not bad.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:50 AM
bobzilla

Actually, if you check all the links to buy, most have at Walmart is the cheapest at $69..
so I save $10. I'm thinking with a couple of JUST GO FLY 400's, some carbon reinforments, I can get this
rig up to 100mpg!

bobz
Old 08-02-2006, 12:33 PM
EBasil

ORIGINAL: P-51B

NOPE!! It's more like $90-110, RTF. They pulled out the battery pack and charger...not included! Might still be great, but the price is very misleading. I wonder how small the asterisk is on the actual package.

When these hit retail shelves, there will be a lot of returns...
Old 08-02-2006, 02:51 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: EBasil

NOPE!! It's more like $90-110, RTF. They pulled out the battery pack and charger...not included! Might still be great, but the price is very misleading. I wonder how small the asterisk is on the actual package.

Like the recent RC flying Superman WallyWorld was selling. So many returns they pulled it from the shelves.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:16 PM
bobzilla

speaking returns or bad product..did you see TowerHobbies scratch and dent..here is the leaders on it.

Hobbico Sky Pilot EP 3-Channel RTF 34.8"

Hobbico SkyFly Electric RTF 40"

Must be hunderds..
Old 08-02-2006, 04:23 PM
EBasil

ORIGINAL: GWR

ORIGINAL: EBasil

Like the recent RC flying Superman WallyWorld was selling. So many returns they pulled it from the shelves.
See, now THAT would be a disaster! Of course, it could be averted, even fixed mid-stream, with some clear packing tape or a shrink-wrapper...
Old 08-08-2006, 09:02 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

If i have my facts right, the designer of the original hydrofoam (Michael Conally) worked on this project with airhogs to get this to the general public.

You have to understand one thing; this is a TOY, it has a remote with throttle on one side, and elevator/elevons on the other. NO RUDDER. For sure their have been loads of copies of the original hydrofoam, according to general opinion, the miss hangar one by redshangarone.com is the only excellent flying spinoff of the original hydro design. sure they could have taken the actual initial design and made a decent 200-300 rft version BUT, not everyone can fly it without prior rc experience or at least an instructor. (I absolutely love flying mine off the lake every chance i get)

My thinking is, that M.C. and airhogs have designed a purpose built toy that will perform outstandingly well other than having no rudder. It will obviously be far easier to fly as it's meant for noobs but will have limited in performance compared to the original or the mho.

I think all these air hogs and other entry level rc toys are a total blessing to the hobby in general. I wouldn't discredit any of them for the following reason: it gives a first taste of rc flight to people who otherwise wouldn't be exposed to the hobby at all.

This is the pattern; Person sees commercial or packaging for inexpensive rc flying device, says "what the hmmm... it's cheap enough not to be a significant loss if i don't like it, i'l buy it just for laughs" and guess what; it works, he gets it of the ground and has a bit of fun with it, crashes, repairs, attempts to tweak it's performance wich sort of works but leaves him wanting more. Next thing you know this same person is "googleing" about everything he can on the subject and gets tempted by a better rtf or arf out there. You all have a hangar full of what happens next if you've been in the hobby for more than a year and are still enjoying yourself, i know i do!

My speculations on this toy;

-It will have a very high power to weight ratio compared to your average bargain store rtf toy. (it HAS to if you are to be able to run it on any surface, let alone take off from the ones with the lowest drag)

-Since it has dual motors i'm willing to bet it will have counter rotating props, so no throttle torque at all therefore very stable and easy to fly compared to "real" hobby models.

-It will not have a tendancy to strike the water with the props since a dual motor setup allows the use of much shorter props.

-Since it looks like the dual motors are direct drive, the efficiency of these power systems should be fairly decent due to the absence of gearbox friction, rotating mass and drag.

-I am probably going to end up getting one for my nephew, shhhh don't tell him, it's just a speculation!

I test flew a mho for someone who had built it wrong and had a power to weight ratio somewere in the 0.9:1 power to weight ratio, taking off 2 inches of grass was allmost impossible, it made it off light dirt but barely...

that's about it!

Old 08-09-2006, 12:28 PM
young gun 2
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with aflipz, I started out flying these little rtf's in the fifth grade and i was always wanting something bigger or better or mor agile. Soon enough in the 8th grade I got my trainer and soloed about a month after with the help of the sim. They do bring new people to the hobby.

Jack Cody
Old 08-30-2006, 10:50 AM
corona672

ive been also looking at hydroplanes and have mixed fellings about the mho.. its fling is exellent ect.. but im not sure if that depron is strong enough... ive been tying to find out on other threads and emailing red who made the mho but i still havent gotton a clear answer yet.... i hear the storm launcher is durable because it has to be to be classified as a " toy" er somtin like that but its performance is nothing like the mho... if i do get the mho i think ill be looking for a light kind of strenghener of some kind...

thanks...
Old 08-30-2006, 01:57 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: corona672

ive been also looking at hydroplanes and have mixed fellings about the mho.. its fling is exellent ect.. but im not sure if that depron is strong enough... ive been tying to find out on other threads and emailing red who made the mho but i still havent gotton a clear answer yet.... i hear the storm launcher is durable because it has to be to be classified as a " toy" er somtin like that but its performance is nothing like the mho... if i do get the mho i think ill be looking for a light kind of strenghener of some kind...

thanks...

mine has hundreds of flights on it, your concerns about depron strength are unfounded unless you plan to use this as a toy. there is no such thing as a plane built to survice any crash (unless crashing is all you want to do with it) strengthening it will only hurt iut's flight characteristics.