Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

25 flights in...Ultra stick 25E

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Doc Austin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25 flights in...Ultra stick 25E

Since I returned to the sport in January, I've logged hundreds of flights with my Mini Ultra Stick. I really love that little plane, but it's not as good in Pinellas County's famous wind shear as a good 40 sized plane.

I also taught a friend to fly on his 40 sized slimer Ultra Stick. I liked that plane so much that I looked into converting one to electric, but the batteries would have put the plane way over budget. Obviously, I was pretty disappointed, but when I read about the upcoming 25E, I got pretty jazzed.

Since the 25E uses a completely different power system, there was going to be a learning process involved. Now that I've logged 25 flights on my Ultra Stick 25E, I believe I can render a fair assessment of the plane.
In general, I like the plane allot, and that feeling grows every time I fly it.

A little Stick background

The modern day stick can trace it's linage back to Phil Kraft's original .60 sized Ugly Stick design, sometime in the mid-1960s. Kraft was in the radio manufacturing business, and he needed a test vehicle that was, stable, large enough to house the day's huge radios, fast to build and easy to work on. The radios of that time were not the most reliable things, so the plane had to be, errrrrrrrrr...........expendible. The Ugly Stick was so quick and simple to build and maintain that it was the perfect plane for that kind of work. Lord only knows how many of them Kraft and his concern trashed, but I'm sure it was considerable.

I'm also sure though, that Kraft didn't lose even a small percentage compared to the terror, havoc and wanton destruction that the sport flying population has caused with the plane. With so many things going for it, the plane, it's cousins and descendants became, and remain, the favorite aircraft of many, many R/C enthusiasts, which certainly includes me. In the 70s, 80s and 90s it was definitely the aircraft of choice for those who wanted a practical, reliable, easy to maintain, and terrific flying sport plane. Modern AFR technology has made a lot of really complex and attractive planes (The Brio, for example) available to those who previously couldn't or wouldn't go to that kind of effort, but you'll still see lots of fliers who prefer the great flying and carefree practicality of a stick design. From what I can tell, the Ultra Stick line is the latest and most refined evolution of the grand old lady.

Let's get right to the flying......

First follow the instructions and make sure you balance the plane the way they call for. Even inherently stable aircraft can become treacherously deadly if you make them tail heavy enough. With the recommended CG the plane flies just fine, though as I get more accustomed to it I might move the CG back about 1/8th inch at a time until it feels just right. Or, maybe not. The way the manual calls for the CG to be set, it's very close to spot on so I may just leave well enough alone and keep flying it the way it is.

Sport Flying

This is an extremely docile airplane. If you want a nice, gentle airplane you can just fly around, it's not as easy as a full blown trainer, but it's not far off. It floats along pretty good, and you get plenty of warning before she will stall on you. When you slow the plane way down, the sticks get mushier and mushier until you've got next to nothing, and then you're done. This is good because when it gets mushy and doesn't respond as well, you know the limit is creeping up on you. There's no loss of control authority until the plane is ready to fall. You have to move the sticks more to control the plane, but that's the warning it gives you. Allot of really good planes will "talk" to you like this, but the stick does it better than any I've flown. It's not going to sneak up and bite you. If you stall it and stuff it into the ground, it's not because the stick didn't scream at you that it was coming.

There is no tip stall characteristic to worry about. When the plane stops flying the nose will almost always fall straight ahead. It never snaps out of control when you stall it like some of the more aerobatic designs are prone to.

The only thing the Ultra Stick line doesn't do well is right itself. You're going to have to keep the wings level by yourself, but once there the plane tracks very, very well. A little dihedral would solve that, but then the plane would lose some of it's aerobatic qualities. I suppose a sharp young guy could learn basic training on this plane provided he had a good instructor, but it's really not intended to do that kind of work.

Pushing it hard

While you don't have to be a raving lunatic to enjoy this plane, it certainly won't disappoint you if you are. It won't take long for you to get the best out of both the plane and yourself. If you are an intermediate pilot, this plane will make you better. If you are really skilled, she will allow you to do the most stupid things imaginable and get away with them.....most of the time.

If you want to try any of the maneuvers I'm about to describe, get her up there a bit the first few times so you've got some room to recover if it doesn't go the way you plan. I'm confident the plane isn't going to bite you, but it's easy to make a mistake with an unfamiliar plane and you don't want that to happen down on the deck.

I started with the set up recommended in the instruction manual. Generally E Flite's set up-s are dead on, and they were really close to my preferences on this one. Once I had a couple of flights on the plane, I changed the elevator throw to be the same on high and low, and that was the same as E flite's recommended high rate. At high speed that's not too twitchy, and at low speed you need the control authority for pulling out of stall turns and other slow speed stunts low to the ground. For low rate ailerons, I dialed the throw back from the 100 value to 75. I'm assuming the value is parentage, but ashamedly I admit that I didn't read the Futaba instruction manual.

Like always, I go for all the rudder I can steal on both high and low rates. It's just a personal preference.

Once I got the throws where I liked them it was just a matter of leaning on the plane to see what she had and I certainly wasn't disappointed. Inside and outside snap rolls were really, really good, though not as violent as some 3D planes seem to be capable of. Generally, exceptionally stable planes don't like to snap roll or spin. The way it's been explained to me is that a snap roll is an unstable condition, so you can see why an inherently stable plane wouldn't like to be asked to do that. Still, the plane snaps well enough and it's very controllable. It doesn't snap roll so lazilly that you have to work at it, but it also doesn't snap roll so fast that it's easy to lose track of what it's doing, so I'de say it's about right for a sport plane. Nothing scary about it at all.

I've also found the 25E will snap roll fine with the power pulled back, but it likes a big blast of throttle right when you slam the controls in. You pull the power back and then hammer the throttle right when you go into the snap roll. Then it just digs itself into the snap roll like it's a self tapping screw. It's all very predictable and controllable. Then you let go of the sticks and it stops snapping immediately.

One thing I discovered is that if you jam in the down elevator after about two snaps the plane will loosley tumble sort of nose over tail, which in itself isn't all that spectacular, but the prop cavitates and makes an absolutely tortured sound. The first time I tried it I thought the plane was coming apart. It will certainly catch your attention.

I'm happy enough with the way the plane flat spins. You can probably flatten out something like a Yak 54 or an Edge 540 more, but remember this is a sport plane. It's supposed to be stable first and that keeps the flat spins from getting out of control. At the recommended balance point, the Ultra Stick 25E does a decent enough flat spin. I'm sure moving the CG back would make it even better, but I'm not willing to sacrifice any stability just to make one maneuver better. Most sport planes won't flat spin at all, so I think it's a good plan to compromise the flat spins a little to have a better overall balance.

You get it spinning, ease off the ailerons, and she'll drop into a nice, loose tail spin. When you jam in the down elevator it will flatten right out. If you want to really get goofy, cross the ailerons once it flattens out, and then you can use up and down elevator to either speed up or slow the spin down. When you let go of the sticks she will turn maybe one or two more times (if you balance the plane tail heavy you're on your own), but if you hit reverse rudder it will stop right now. Again, nothing scary here, but it sure makes the pilot look good.

The plane stall turns exceptionally well, but here it also likes a little blip of power to make it come around, just to get a little more air flowing over the rudder. You can do it without the power, but by using the power the plane will turn when it's almost dead stopped, which makes a prettier stall turn. No big deal. Most planes are this way. It's just something you learn to do to get the most out of the plane.

At high speed the plane grooves pretty well, but let's face it, this is a sport plane. It isn't going to fly around like it's on rails the way a pattern plane does. Then again, if you try to fly a pattern plane as aggressively as you can so effortlessly do with an Ultra Stick, you'll need a shovel to dig your motor out of the ground.

At slower speeds it floats along without a worry. If you want to really push it (and who doesn't?), you can bury the elevator, and with a few notchs of power or so, you can drag it around like that. If you do manage to stall the thing really bad, it just falls forward, drops a few feet and starts flying again. Of course if you're quick on the throttle a 750 watt blast of brute, gut-wrenching torque will never let it get that far. But, if you do stall it and don't use the power to pull it out there's no tip stall tendency at all. At that point (assuming you've left yourself some room between the plane and the ground) you've just got to get off the elevator, get some speed, and let it start flying again. I think this stability is a really good trade-off for the plane not being able to chew it's own tail off in a snap roll. When you stall the plane, just add a little power and go right back to flying it around.........or give it a 750 watt blast of brute, gut-wrenching torque and have a giggle.

One thing that caught me out is that this plane is much heavier than a Mini, and if you stall it really, really deep into a hard turn, the plane will mush right out and head for the ground. This is a high speed stall, and it's crazy to push it that hard low to the ground. Most planes will just wig out and snap into the ground when you punish them this hard. With the 25E you never lose control.........you just don't have enough of it. This isn't a criticism of the plane, but if you push it that hard you're asking for it. The Mini is so light that it doesn't suffer this as much, but with the 25E, you just have to be more careful when you throw it around that hard. It's not really a shortcoming in the plane's performance. It's just something to watch out for, and if you're moving up to the 25E after flying lightweight planes, it might catch you out.

When I pushed it too hard like this I had full aileron control right until it hit. I just ran out of elevator. Because the plane was still responding, I was able to get the wings level, and the only damage was that the nylon bolts I used to hold the gear on sheared off. Looking back, I just wasn't fast enough on the throttle.

If the plane falls down anywhere in flying characteristics it's knife edge flight, but this is true of every stick I've ever flown except for the ones we used to scratch build especially to get around the problem. With the stab mounted so low on the fuselage and so much of the rudder area above the thrust line, the plane will tuck hard toward the landing gear when you try to knife edge. I believe this phenomenon is called "roll coupling," and a lot more planes than just the Ultra Stick suffer from it. You can get around this with up elevator, but then you have to be careful not to have the plane climb out. It's a difficult balance but really good pilots just fly around it. I can do a decent slow roll with it, but it's nothing like as smooth as a good pattern plane is capable of. Then again, I ain't no Quique, so your mileage could very well vary. Still, it's not horrible. It just doesn't knife edge as well as it does everything else.

Generally it does what you tell it to do and doesn't have any bad habits. It sort of flies just like any of the other terrific Ultra Sticks, only things happen a little slower and smoother than the Mini, and quieter than the fuel jobs. It also handles the wind much, much better that the lighter Mini, probably because it can penetrate well with the extra weight it's carrying.

I'm extremely comfortable with this plane, but because I'm still learning about it, I'm still more comfortable going ballistic with a Mini. I'm sure that will change once the 25E gets a few nicks on it and my confidence in it grows. I like it better every flight.

Now, if anyone is interested in my set up and construction, I can write that up a little later and post it on this thread. I learned quite a bit putting this plane together and i really enjoyed it.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Doc Austin

Default RE: 25 flights in...Ultra stick 25E

This was a lot of work, and I've got a lot more, so I'm bumping this up for those who haven't seen it.

I also like this airplane alot, and i'm surprised there isn't more interest in it.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Shinigami

I just got the MUS a couple weeks ago and I'm really happy with it. I would love to have something a little bigger, and the 25e looks awesome. However, I think it might be a little too big for the average park flier (i.e. Me). Having to take the wing off for transport would be an inconvenience, but not a big deal. I just wouldn't want to fly this at my local parks.

Maybe one day I will join a local club, although I think the Sacramento Red Barons just moved their field to Marysville . At that point I would love to fly the Ultra Stick 25e, and probably bigger birds as well. But for now, it's just way too convenient to grab the MUS, battery pack, radio and go fly on a lunch break or after work at the nearest park.

So maybe the 25e is really just waiting for that niche to find it, as it almost seems to be in no-mans land at the moment.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:15 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

wonderful contribution Doc, thanks.
I just got my 25e this past week. I put her up in the air for the first time this morning. I took it easy for it's first flight. It handles and performs well for a little bit better than beginner pilot like myself. The battery is a bit pricy so I only have one. Looking forward to pushing a bit on future flights later this week. I put the power 32 motor on as I plan on getting floats as soon as Horizon gets them back in stock.
Happy flying!
Old 10-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Engelmann

Just got my 25e today and started to put it together. I went with the Power 25 option as I'v got a couple 1800 3s Flightpower battery packs that I can use in parallel for 3600mAh. Doc, what prop did you use on the Power25?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:21 AM
Doc Austin

I know I've been promising this for awhile, but we finally got the video of the 25E put together. Not to make excuses, but we were fighting 25mph gusts, so the plane flies much better than what you'll be seeing. check out the wind sock and frequency flag. In the opening segment, you can see the wind push the airplane conpletely sideways in the middle of a slow speed roll. The airplane is travelling at 90 degrees from the way it's pointed! With these kind of conditions, I think you'll have to agree the Ultra Stick 25E can handle almost anything the rest of us can. It's a superb airplane.

http://largoflyingclub.com/app06/stick.wmv

These videos were taken this weekend at my club's City of largo appreciation Day/cookout/fly-in. I got to fly a wide variety of aircraft, ate too much, got too sunburned and had too much fun. Since the wind was a little too much for a 3.5 lb Ultra stick, I managed to borrow a few planes from friend's to keep the show moving. While these are nitro planes, I think you'll still find the videos interesting.

Ben Dauterman's superb Hangar 9 Pulse XT PNP:
http://largoflyingclub.com/app06/pulse.wmv

And a Gene henry's excellent Ucando, my favorite plane:
http://largoflyingclub.com/app06/ucando.wmv