Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

E-Flite Mini Pulse XT Owner's Club

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

E-Flite Mini Pulse XT Owner's Club

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 11:18 AM
zoott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-Flite Mini Pulse XT Owner's Club

What do you think about control throws for the mini pulse.
This is my second mini pulse . I had an e-flite servo stick leaving 1 ail. fully up on maiden.
Right now i followed the manual. I'm thinking of going less though. I'm kinda a newbie.
I was thinking of going a 1/8 less than low and not using high rates.
My flying exp is :
hobbyzone super cub
carl goldberg eagle 400
gas trainer about five times solo ... i fly it well but a few scarry landings lol.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Fliprob17

When I set mine up, and had it on the low rates, I was only getting 1/4" of travel each way for the ailerons, not the 3/8". That was good for getting use to the plane and since I have only gone up to 5/16" each way....... so far.

For my low rates on the first couple of flights, I had the Ailerons at 1/4" each way, the Elevator at the high rate setting in the manual 1/2", and the Rudder at the low rate setting in the manual 1-1/4". And that wound up being perfect for me so far. I have not even flipped the switch to the high rates yet. I have the high rates set at 1/2" for the ailerons, 3/4" on the elevator and rudder I left as the manual has it 1-1/2". I would set up the high rates so at least you have the option avail. if the low is not allowing you to control the plane.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Capt. John

ORIGINAL: Ken Cz

Hi Guys,
Really enjoy all the info I've obtained on this thread. All the feedback was so positive I went out and bought a Mini Pulse XT.
Gorgeous plane and well built however I have a problem since I am unfamilar with balsa/covering construction.

Problem: The removable hatch cover (for electronics/battery) has major bubbles in the covering along it's length. I called Horizon Service and the Tech said just take your heat gun on low, keep it moving and make several passes to warm the covering until it shrinks and tightens up.
I did this last night and it made it worse!! Additional 'air bubbles' have formed and it looks terrible. You can push down on the bubbles but the covering will not stick - tried it a bit with a sort rag while warm but this did not work either.
I have an old covering iron someone gave me but I'm afraid to use it and possibly destroy the whole thing.
I asked Horizon on getting a replacement and he said it was not a serviced part and that they are not readily available--- 'maybe we can find one laying around from a damaged kit' was what he said. He really did not seem to think they could help me - said the 'heat gun' fix will do it - WRONG!

I was so thrilled to get my first 'real airplane' but this situation has already taken some of the joy out of it.

Can anyone offer some tips on what I did wrong on my attempt to fix it?
Anything I can do to get it looking good?

Thanks in advance for all the help from the 'experienced flyers' !!
Ken
Ken...I can help. First, I have been told by the experienced flyers in our club that if the bubble has too much air in it to smooth out with the heat gun, to put a pin hole on the edge. Then as it warms, move your covered hand (I use an old, soft sock) over the bubble and move the air out the hole. Then, as it continues to heat, the pin hole will seal on its own.

It sounds like your coat got too hot.....I've done this too, on the same plane. The inside of the cockpit.

But here's the real help!!! I crashed my plane a month or so ago and have rebuilt it. I ordered a new fus, but the battery cover on the first fus was fine. So.....I have an extra battery cover. If you can't get yours looking good, contact me via email and I'll send it to you.
No one likes to show off their new plane when it doesn't look as good as it should. I had to smooth out some bubbles on this piece, too, but they beautifully and magically disappeared.

Good luck!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Snoopyxupery

You must see that: The biggest RC B52 Crash

http://www.todoomodelisme.com/video/100059.php
Old 02-17-2007, 02:27 PM
netdudeuk

I've got a Park 450 with the bullet type metal spinner and an APC 10x7E prop.

I've drilled the 6mm hole in the white backplate and slotted it onto the metal spinner 'hub' but it is nowhere near the cowling.

How did you all deal with this issue ? Maybe cut the spinner plate ? Any photos ?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Fliprob17

I installed the motor, spinner, prop, etc. and tightened it all down before drilling the holes and mounting the cowl. I put the cowl on first, loose, and moved it around until there was about a 1/16" gap from the cowl to the spinner. Then marked holes and drilled it in. If you mounted the cowl first, you might not have drilled/mounted it in the proper place.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:32 PM
netdudeuk

ORIGINAL: fliprob17

I installed the motor, spinner, prop, etc. and tightened it all down before drilling the holes and mounting the cowl. I put the cowl on first, loose, and moved it around until there was about a 1/16" gap from the cowl to the spinner. Then marked holes and drilled it in. If you mounted the cowl first, you might not have drilled/mounted it in the proper place.
I've not mounted the cowl but it's unlikely that I would get a 1/16 ". Is the back of your cowl barely overlapping the fuse ? Any idea how much it overlaps ? Did you screw into the two plywood tabs ?

I see that there is a clear plastic tab pushed into a slot on top of the power bay cover. I assumed that it was for removing the cover but it's not even glued in or fastened in some other way. If I put glue on it I'll get it onto the covering. I may have to cut the slot all the way though and then glue it from the inside. What's the score with this ?

I would like to put my (22g) RX under the canopy / cockpit. I know that this is not quite a micro RX but I've had perfect long range results with another RX like this and would like to experience the same reliablity again. Is this where other people have located theirs ?

Where does your antenna leave the fuselage ?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2007, 11:16 PM
karl k

ORIGINAL: netdudeuk

I would like to put my (22g) RX under the canopy / cockpit. I know that this is not quite a micro RX but I've had perfect long range results with another RX like this and would like to experience the same reliablity again. Is this where other people have located theirs ?

Where does your antenna leave the fuselage ?

Thanks
Short answer, it doesn't.

Long answer, I run and AR7000 receiver. I get 7 channels and 2 receivers in 15 grams with 2 little 3" antennae. Good enough for me.

I just had the receiver laying in my E-Starter and thought "Why should a little foamie get this awesome receiver and my MPXT gets the AR6000?" So I swapped it.

Other than that, I can't help you.

Karl

Old 02-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Fliprob17

Yes, the screws go thru the wood tabs. Yes, it is not shoved that far back on the fuse. I just put a new Du-Bro spinner on today and I have a 1/32"-1/16" gap from the end of the cowl the the spinner.

The clear plastic tab is just for removing the battery cover. It should be glued in. If not, just add some CA around it.

I mounted my RX inside the fuse where the wing bolts in. I would not put it inside the canopy area.

I routed my antenna a bit differently. I put it thru the back of the canopy, then out to the rudder. It is just the way I have done all my planes and have never had a problem. A lot of people just rout it out of the bottom of the fuse.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:02 AM
netdudeuk

ORIGINAL: fliprob17

I mounted my RX inside the fuse where the wing bolts in. I would not put it inside the canopy area.
We're maybe talking about the same thing here. I didn't mean under the canopy. I meant below the canopy area inside the fuse. Yes ?
I've dispensed with the spinner. As it's tightened it's too distorted for a tidy result so I have a metalic blue bullet type spinner and it looks ok to me.

I like the cowl but not the way that the lines do not match up if you want no gap at the top.

Those wheel pants are very nice but they seem to be unsuitable for anything but tarmac or very smooth grass. Or have you guys found different ?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Fliprob17

Ok Yes, under the canopy inside the fuse I thought it sounded a little funny to put it IN the canopy

I had the same tweaking problem with the stock spinner. I just got a Du-Bro spinner and it does not tweak at all. It really goes together well. I have been flying without a spinner since the beginning. After putting the Du-Bro on, I remembered how nice this plane looks with one. I did notice that my RPM's went down some with the spinner though.

I completely ditched the wheel pants and got some fatty 2-1/4" foamies for wheels. And added a bigger 1" tailwheel. Big difference on landings on grass/dirt. The fatter/bigger wheels are a little more cushy, and allow for the occasional OOOOPS landing
Old 02-18-2007, 05:08 PM
patnchris

I'm using the wheels from a Mini Ultra Stik.....They are larger, but not so large that I couldn't modify the pants to fit on.....Since my MUS had no problems negotiating grass runways, I'm hoping that the MP and the Funtana X will work also.....Pat
Old 02-18-2007, 08:40 PM
mshick

Fliprob17,
What is the part number on the spinner you put on? Did you use the stock collet/adapter that came with the motor?

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Fliprob17

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&I=LXE122&P=K

This is what I got. I did still use the stock adapter that came with the motor. It still had just enough thread to make me feel comfortable it was going to hold tight enough. I flew it for the first time with the spinner yesterday and it held fine.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:59 PM
karl k

I maidened my MP yesterday. HOLY CRAP this thing is quick!

Well, much quicker than I am used to, at least. The control inputs act on the plane a lot faster as well. I had another club member take it up and trim it out for me after I almost crashed it. It flew very well and at a lower throttle setting than I thought it would. I need to find a model for G3 so that I can practice more with a more realistic plane. Does anyone know where to find one?

I also found that I needed a very large amount of left trim on the ailerons. I had noticed during the build that the elevator halves were a few degrees off of being exactly in line with each other. This made the plane want to rotate to the right.

All in all, it is a very pretty, sturdy, fast plane. I think that with some more practice, it will be much more controllable.

I guess I should mention that there was 15mph winds when I flew this yesterday. Maybe it wasn't the best time to fly it for the first time.

Hopefully, someone knows were to get that model for the Mini Pulse in RealFlight G3 or at least has the specs for modifying an existing model.

Karl
Old 02-19-2007, 11:13 PM
karl k

ORIGINAL: karl k

I also found that I needed a very large amount of left trim on the ailerons. I had noticed during the build that the elevator halves were a few degrees off of being exactly in line with each other. This made the plane want to rotate to the right.

Karl
I fixed this problem by breaking the glue bond between on e of the elevator halves and the CF rod that joins them together. I then re-aligned the halves and glued it all back together.

I am quite happy that I got that sorted out.

I ran my plane indoors at 2/3 throttle and 7-8 amps for 15 minutes before the soft cut-off started cutting power to the motor.
I should be able to get some nice flight times out of this thing assuming I can keep it going where I want it. My club just has a fairly small field.

I've started modifying a plane in G3 to practice with. I wouldn't mind knowing which airfoil to use for this plane. How would I tell? Does anyone know the exact airfoil?

Thanks for your help again.

Karl

Old 02-20-2007, 01:07 AM
Fliprob17

Be careful running the motor like that when the plane is not moving. The ESC and motor will get hot because there is no airflow over them. Even at 1/4-1/2 throttle they get warm/hot.

I have the Park 480 1020 kv in mine running a 10x7 slowfly and with some stall/no power moves (which allows the LiPo to rest and bounce back up in voltage) I am pushing 13 minutes of decent power flying.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:41 PM
rascusn3

I love this plane! I accidentaly rammed itto the ground 30 feet up and even though the motor shaft snapped there was no damage at all to the plane.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Ken Cz

Are any of the current MPXT owners using nylon bolts for the gear or wing attachments in place of the included metal bolts to reduce damage during inadvertant severe ground contact?
Old 02-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Fliprob17

Yup, Nylon bolts on the landing gear for sure. So far I have had some mild impacts landing and no issues. They just flex a little more than the stock steel ones do as well, so that helps a bit.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:16 PM
styrenejunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Hi guys,

I've been following this thread and have assembled all of the needed components to get my MP ready for flight. This is my first attempt at E-power, so here are some questions:

1. Position-wise, where is everyone mounting their ESCs and receivers? I am thinking that the ESC would go in the open area at the bottom of the nose, underneath the structure that will hold the battery. I am considering mounting the receiver underneath the cockpit floor.

2. What is everyone using to mount the ESCs, receivers and batteries? I know that there are some heat concerns that need to be addressed, so is everyone using Velcro to attach to the aircraft structure, or zip-ties or what? Can/should the ESC be wrapped in thin foam for vibration protection? Is anyone wrapping their batteries in foam, or mounting them directly to the structure? Does the Velcro keep the battery in position, preventing it from shifting?

Thanks for the replies that you guys will offer.

Brian from Texas
Old 02-22-2007, 01:19 PM
styrenejunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Oh yeah, one more thing...

Do you guys use threadlock on the engine mount and landing gear mount screws?

Thanks,

Brian from Texas
Old 02-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: styrenejunkie

1. Position-wise, where is everyone mounting their ESCs and receivers? I am thinking that the ESC would go in the open area at the bottom of the nose, underneath the structure that will hold the battery. I am considering mounting the receiver underneath the cockpit floor.
That's my set up. This will also make the plane dead on balanced, especially if you're using a 480 and 2100 battery. If you're using the 450/1320, you'll need to jam the battery as far forward as it will go.

2. What is everyone using to mount the ESCs, receivers and batteries?
My receiver is held on with velcro, and I've also go a velcro strip on the battery and battery tray. I also run a velcro strap under the battey tray and around the battery to hold the battery down.

One quick note: coat the area you are going to apply the velco to with super glue. This seals the wood and gives the stickey on the back of the velcro a good place to adhere to. Otherwise, every time you take the basttery out it will pull the velcro up.

I know that there are some heat concerns that need to be addressed..........
Only if you run it hard in the summer, but if you get the extreme series batteries they run much cooler.

Can/should the ESC be wrapped in thin foam for vibration protection?
The beauty of electrics is that they don't vibrate unless your prop is badly out of balance. I suppose you could wrap it with thin foam if you don't like it bouncing aroun, but that would interfere with the airflow. I velcroed mine to the bottom of the battery tray.

Does the Velcro keep the battery in position, preventing it from shifting?
No problem, but the 2100 is a heavier battery and it will move around if you don't have it strapped down. The kit comes with a velcro strap, but I also use velcro to hold the battery to the tray, and then strap it down. You would have to wreck the plane to get that battery to move.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Fliprob17

Hi guys,

I've been following this thread and have assembled all of the needed components to get my MP ready for flight. This is my first attempt at E-power, so here are some questions:

2. What is everyone using to mount the ESCs, receivers and batteries? I know that there are some heat concerns that need to be addressed, so is everyone using Velcro to attach to the aircraft structure, or zip-ties or what? Can/should the ESC be wrapped in thin foam for vibration protection? Is anyone wrapping their batteries in foam, or mounting them directly to the structure? Does the Velcro keep the battery in position, preventing it from shifting?

Thanks for the replies that you guys will offer.

Brian from Texas
1. Same here as well. I had to build a little shelf to allow the ESC to sit flat.
2. I used the supplied hook and look tape on everything. I wrapped my receiver in the supplied saver pad that came with it, it is like wetsuit material, put the male part of the hook and loop tape on it and the female part on the structure. I also used the left over receiver saver pad to put under the battery, mainly to absorb the heat and keep the ESC heat from rising up, it acts as a cushion as well, then put the female part of the hook and loop tape on the top of the pad, and the male on the battery, works great.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Fliprob17

Oh yeah, one more thing...

Do you guys use threadlock on the engine mount and landing gear mount screws?

Thanks,

Brian from Texas
I used the blue light duty on the motor screws, on the actual motor "x" mount and the stick mount. I switched to nylon bolts on the landing gear to keep from ripping out the bottom of the fuse on a hard landing with the metal bolts. This way the botls actually provide a little flex, and will just snap off on a hard landing instead of damaging the fuse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.