Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Cox Christen Eagle

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Spiderman_48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cox Christen Eagle

I recall seeing a photo somewhere of the Cox Christen Eagle with a NiMh battery pack in that belly hatch. There may have been commentary about it being more aerobatic with that battery pack, with much shorter flight time, of course.
Can't remember where, now, but I'll run across it again...

Old 12-18-2006, 08:26 PM
aeromstr

Thanks for the info but, the little foamie already comes with a Lipo that is supposed to slide into the battery compartment (in front of the landing gear) vertically...I'm puzzled that I can find NO pic or any info on just what the "other" rearward hatch is for...maybe to connect the battery pack to ESC...geeeeeeeee....let's just see what happens! Seems the more simple things are the harder they get! Guess I'll go work on my Blade CP pro that just came today!
Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Spiderman_48

ORIGINAL: aeromstr
info on just what the "other" rearward hatch is for...
!!Found the original translated doc's...(in China) The file is 6.7 mb. Click below for the link. It's for (8) NiMh batteries! They look about like 2/3AA size!!
[link=http://www.art-tech.cn/english/pdf/Christen-Eagle.pdf]Eagle Docs[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14576.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	580447  
Old 12-23-2006, 10:58 PM
wb4gok
My Feedback: (1)

Just a word about _Cox Models Customer Service_.
In one word "GREAT". My Christen Eagle arrived with the fuselage cracked on both sides at the rear of the cockpit.....called Cox about 30 minutes after UPS delivered it.....replacement was on the way the next day!!!.....received it in time for Christmas (Merry Christmas to ME).
Old 12-26-2006, 11:49 AM
VictoryRoll-91

Anyone get this to hover???
Old 12-27-2006, 07:59 PM
kerwin50

I just bought the cox ce an maiden her yesterday but only had a 3 min flight
I was wondering what would be the max wind speed the plane could fly in she stayed grounded today because the wind was blowing 12 to 15 mph
another thing is in the instruction it stated to only fly her for 6 min at 3/4 throttle for the frist 3 flights why is that
Old 12-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Spiderman_48

ORIGINAL: kerwin50
I just bought the cox ce an maiden her yesterday but only had a 3 min flight
I was wondering what would be the max wind speed the plane could fly in she stayed grounded today because the wind was blowing 12 to 15 mph
It was probably prudent to remain grounded in a 15 mph wind, at least for the first few flights, anyway, as the little eagle only weighs about twenty ounces, which is tossed around quite a bit in a stiff breeze. I would imagine that more experience with what can be done with it would allow some higher wind speed sortee's.
another thing is in the instruction it stated to only fly her for 6 min at 3/4 throttle for the frist 3 flights why is that
I think they want to minimally load the LiPo pack on the first few discharge sessions to assure full life. I've seen that suggestion on other LiPo battery suggestions.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:35 PM
onetankjcs
My Feedback: (4)

I've just about finished my Cox CE and had a couple of questions. I found the answer in the threads about the aft battery hatch although I think it would make a perfect place for the speed control to get cooling air. Can anyone tell me what the little two prong connector is on the speed control? I would like to have an ON/OFF switch for the plane as I don't like to have a "hot system" as soon as I plug in the battery.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe that's to go from three cell to two cell for low voltage cutoff. Not used in our case.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Spiderman_48

That little "extra" plug is for three cell (no jumper) and two cell (with jumper). Seems to be the "standard" for many ESC's from the far east.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:46 PM
kerwin50

Well I've hadseveral flights now on the ce an had a few issues, 1 the batt hatch likes to come open an the batt either slides up inside the plane an moves around inside the fuse or it starts to come out
when I set the ailerons up at the tips they are flush an at the root they bare drooping some. the plane has lots of climb an requires down elev trim. going inverted she goes into a dive an requires some elev to keep it level. At that point she seems alittle pitch sensitive. Coming in for a landing the nose drops quite a bit an requires alot of up elev.
I am using a berg 7 reciever an an optic 6 trans My throttle seems very non linear.
I read in the art-tech manaul about the discharging an was wondering just how far down i should discharge the batt. Also can any 1 give me any info on how to rewire my batt so i can balance the batt my charger is only charging the batt up to 12.2
I've flown this little bird in a 13 mph wind an she seems to handle it well enough
Her vertical performance seems some what limited, but other than that I am quite pleased with her I just need to work out a few bugs
Old 01-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Flypaper 2

Kerwin:
From the symptoms, you need some downthrust in the motor. Maybe a 1/16 in. at the top of the motor to start. In slight angle nose down, with throttle change, the plane should neither climb nor dive. Will help your inverted too. Best not to discharge a lipo batt. could do it some damage. and doesn't serve any purpose.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:29 PM
nvr fast enuf

have installed a Nippy black 1812/100 .HobLob#UBR1812. drops in. vertical to and unlimited vertical. (No more time spent with my drillpress and dial indicator.) I use same esc and batt and apc 10/4.5 YIKES, now I have to learn to hover![link]http://biplaneventures.com[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35759.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	637609  
Old 03-07-2007, 11:42 PM
kerwin50

nv fast enuf
have you flown your plane with the nippy
I have been looking at several motors an havn't been able to make up my mind
how did you mount your nose cone
Old 03-08-2007, 11:09 AM
nvr fast enuf

Have 40 flights by now. I assume you mean the prop adapter? Hob Lob#MJ4703
Old 03-08-2007, 04:20 PM
kerwin50

nvr fast enuf I was meaning the black nose cone that came with the plane
What kinda of performance are you getting with the nippy on her would you say that she has unlimited vertical also did you say that you were using the orginal batt an if so what kinda of flight times
Old 03-08-2007, 05:31 PM
nvr fast enuf

did not use nose cone, yes unlimited vert, 8 min dep on throttle, original batt yes GI
Old 03-09-2007, 11:13 AM
kerwin50

Thanks alot
Sounds like the perfect motor for me as I would not have to buy another speed controller an batt now all I gotta do is talk the wife into lol
Old 03-23-2007, 09:31 PM
kerwin50

well I got my nippy today put her on the plane the propadapter I got with her was the sleeve on a cone an when I installed the apc 10/4 prop I soon ran out of threads I had to put the nylon insert in beteewn the prop washer an prop nut
I test ran the motor an running it wide open for 2 mins the batt got pretty warm
Old 03-25-2007, 11:11 AM
aeromstr

Spiderman....hey, thanks for the reply and the pic's! We've had alot of snow here (Estes Park, Co), haven't had the chance to fly much...but, doing alot of FLY-fishing! The little Blade Pro is fun to fly...not much on battery time...the 3s E-flite 800mah Li-Po's last about 5-6 minutes per flight...I surely thought they would last longer but, at this altitude (8000 ft), there's NOT just a whole lot of air to beat into submission!
Old 03-01-2008, 06:37 PM
abbydawn

After 40 years of nitro am now converting to electric. Couple of questions on the Cox Eagle (1st attempt) that are not addressed in the manual. What is the hinged cover compartment for, that is located just behind where the battery is inserted? Is it meant to hold the ESC which comes in the box located inside the forward fusealage? Can it just float around in there? Is it worthwhile spraying the bird with Testors laquer as suggested in the manual?
Thx, newcomer Gary.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Spiderman_48

I just let my ESC float around inside (maximum air movement around it).
I think I read somewhere that the extra hatch may be to move the battery aft a bit for more aerobatic center of gravity.
I think it is worth while to give it the clear coat. Primarily to keep dirt out of the "pores", but also, to help hold the water-slide decals in place.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:23 AM
abbydawn

"Only the lead dog gets a change in scenery."

Had more than a few if those over the 40 years!
Thx Spider for the reply. I'll do the laquer thing for hopefully longevity.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:21 PM
onetankjcs
My Feedback: (4)

Hey abbydawn
When I talked to the Cox rep, he told me that the battery hatch and the longer hatch behind the battery are used on several different aircraft built in China. I didn't like the way the esc just flopped around inside the fuselage and once you cram the battery inside, I don't see where there is a lot of airflow over the speed control. I un-sodered the esc from the motor and mounted the esc inside the longer hatch. I had to cut the first crossbar to route the wires out to the battery plug. The main reason I did this is because there is no fast way to disconnect the battery if the esc plug is inside the plane. Sure the plugs are on the outside but you hardly notice them while flying.

onetankjcs
Old 03-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Flypaper 2

I sprayed mine a couple of yrs. ago with Testors clear and the decals are just starting to flake, so it does work. They are very fragile. Then again I have a kazillion miles on mine.