Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

World Models Cap 232 Eplane

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:52 AM
lthibault

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models Cap 232 Eplane

Hi,

I'm expecting this kit any day now, this might be a good place to share our experience with this new product.

Here's the basic information and pictures. You can shop for this airplane through the World Models web site ([link=http://theworldmodels.com/para/products/airplanedetails.php?airplaneid=152]http://theworldmodels.com/para/products/airplanedetails.php?airplaneid=152[/link]).

The distributor is Airborn Models ([link=http://www.airborne-models.com/Index.asp]http://www.airborne-models.com/Index.asp[/link]).

The instruction manual can be found at [link=http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/instruction/pdf/E229.pdf]http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/instruction/pdf/E229.pdf[/link].

Anyone interested to see pictures and review? Let me know.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38392.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	546494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31641.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	546495  
Old 10-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Balsabasher
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: World Models Cap 232 Eplane

Wow, am I the only one with this model? Can not find any discussion on this model here or on RC Groups. I just looked my over so far. Trying to finish some other projects first! Nice looking ARF!
Old 10-26-2006, 09:15 AM
lthibault

Not much information indeed.

I'm currently assembling a WM P-51 .60 and converting it to electric. Will come back later.

So far for this bird I've just put thinned 30 minutes epoxy on the firewall and areas inside the fuselage (aroung landing gear blind nuts, etc.).
Old 11-22-2006, 02:54 PM
lthibault

Not much to report so far, assembling this kit was very easy.

Unfortunately the brushless motor provided was D.O.A.; using my ohmmeter I found an open circuit, which mean a broken wire inside. Nothing much that can be done so I'm waiting for a replacement unit.

Will post some feedback once I've maiden it. Anyone else looking at this thread???
Old 11-23-2006, 01:28 PM
G_Ride

I was interested in this plane as well. The wing loading looked high, but it is not much different than other models of this class. Please continue to post. I am looking forward to your flight results.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:04 PM
lthibault

My previous experience with World Models products was the Mustang Voodoo EP. It was beautifully designed, exactly the same shape as his .60 big brother that you can see under my name at the left.

Unfortunately I made a bad take-off one morning and broke the balsa in the motor mount area. Entirely my fault, a stupid mistake. I forgot to keep the elevator high to begin and then control the rudder and fly the tail before take-off. Did a premature TO followed by a left snap, usual Mustang behavior. The plane flew very well and was a beauty in the air.

It was then that I decided to order the Cap model instead of another Voodoo kit for a reason of personal preference; I found that small Mustangs are too sensible and easy to break. For models of this size I prefer Mini-Funtanas and sport planes.

I would however recommend to brush thinned epoxy aroung the firewall and motor mount area, just as a precaution.

Once the motor is on and weather conditions are good I will be pleased to report on it.

Plane is trimmed, CGed (had to put one little square of 1/4 oz lead in the tail). Instructions are crystal-clear, everything is included in the kit.

One possible improvement: the wheel pants are designed to be hold by two plastic screws popping out of the aluminium landing gear. This is very weak and flimsy.

My mods were to fix the wheels independently on the gear; then dremel the pants to allow them to be added later.

Then I drilled holes to put blind nuts in the pants. Easy to do since there is sufficient wood to do it.

Last, I drilled bigger holes in the aluminimum gear to allow the bigger screws to be put in the blind nuts.

Rock solid. Will post pics later.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:50 PM
lthibault

The landing gear reinforcement is worth the effort. You'll never have to retight or adjust them before at least a few flights.

Name:	He97195.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	565999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54156.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	566000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38510.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	566001   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55409.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	566002  
Old 11-24-2006, 05:54 PM
lthibault

Oh and I forgot, my motor is at the post office, will pick it up tomorrow and maiden it on sunday morning.

More details to follow.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:23 PM
G_Ride

Best of luck on your maiden. Looking forward to your flight reports. Thanks for the posts.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:42 PM
lthibault

Well here's the flight report. A picture's worth a thousand words right?[]

The left aileron servo apparently stripped right after take-off, probably due to vibrations? The plane started to violently roll without any possible correction...crashed hard on the nose, firewall completely destroyed, landing gear stripped.

Truly heart breaking, this kit was assembled with attention to all details, carefully adjusted...a split second and about 10 hours of work down the drain.

This thread may idle for a while, I might wait for spring before I put more money into this kit.

Name:	Ec88804.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	566492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51637.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	566493  
Old 11-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Railinrob

Oh man [X(] Sorry for your loss.What brand of servos were they ?
Old 11-26-2006, 11:11 AM
lthibault

It's a JR DS285.

Now I really believe that my mistake was to neglect the replacement of the old rubber grommets. This servo was previously used and the rubber pieces were broken due to some CA that came in contact with them. As a result I screwed the rubber back but it was not tight to the servo anymore, thus preventing excessive vibration.

So ''attention to all details'' is not true. This is the kind of experience that reminds you how important it is to STOP and make corrections if ANYTHING is not perfect.

On take-off the plane was rolling on grass and I could tell it was shaking a little bit. That vibration probably caused the gear stripping and when I started to input some left aileron it wouln't come back to neutral anymore, causing the uncontrollable loops...

I've decided to order another kit, a gear set and rubber grommets for the servo.

I'll take a couple of weeks before I try again. I'm sure this little airplane is flying well.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:31 PM
G_Ride

Sorry to hear what happened. I can only hope some of the parts (cowling, etc.) might be salvageable for spares. If it's any consolation, I once had a 1/4 scale Cap 21 that did the same. There apparently was interference from the kill switch in the radio compartment (gas engine) that caused the elevator to go to full down after takeoff at about 8 feet up. The front end was rekitted into the runway, but the plane was rebuildable. We grow wiser with age.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:24 PM
T34RACING
My Feedback: (1)

I built one this weekend and flew it.

I used Hitec 56MG all around on all surfaces. Instead of putting one elevator servo as recommended, I put two also. I also used a JR 770 PCM receiver. As for the speed controller, I used a Castle Creations 25Amp with Thunder Power 2100 Lipos. I thought it may come out a little heavy, but the performance didnt say so.

Building it was easy. I had to shove the batteries all the way forward with the receiver at the leading edge former. It was balanced a little tail heavy there since that is the way I like it.

I took off the 1st flight and it had a lot of down and right into it. I trimmed it out and then the fun began. I have about 45 degrees of aileron and it rolls like crazy. Since I was a little on the tail heavy side, the elevator was not all the sensitive as I expected it to be. I got it to flat spin real nice. Landing was not all the bad either. I stalled it on landing to see what it would do and it was pretty forgiving.

As to the performance, I have the stock blades adn motor and the vertical was nice.

I am happy.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:55 PM
lthibault

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the information and smart move to put metal gear servos all around. This is what I would do if I had the extra dough.

What's your take on the maximum wind conditions limit for this puppy?
Old 12-17-2006, 05:20 PM
lthibault

Finally got the new kit.

Here's a few pictures and comments.

By the color of the Balsa you can see that I've used thinned epoxy and brush it aroung the engine mounting area.

First, here's how I fixed the engine wiring. The shaft of my old motor was not straight and causing vibration so I threw it in the garbage and used the new one provided with the kit. Fortunately this one worked!

Name:	Wu61172.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	578950  
Old 12-17-2006, 05:23 PM
lthibault

I like to put the foam piece on the bottom so the battery is gently squeezed. The receiver is held by pieces of velcro with foam between them. At this point the elevator rods were not adjusted yet.

Name:	Nk27872.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	578954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90778.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	578955  
Old 12-17-2006, 05:29 PM
lthibault

I used an exacto knife to remove covering from those two holes. The biggest one was opened so I could put two pieces of 7G lead on the side to reach CG. Added hot glue as a precaution. Then used some yellow covering.

Name:	Ay74735.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	578965  
Old 12-17-2006, 05:31 PM
lthibault

This is a nice Sullivan wheel that was put aside for this project. Sorry for the focus...[]

Name:	Hf99446.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	578987  
Old 12-17-2006, 05:35 PM
lthibault

WM wheel pants setup wasn't optimum. The instructions ask you to put a plastic screw from the inside out so the end of the screw is keeping the pant from moving. Unfortunately the pant will be very loose and the overall result is not solid.

I just dremelled the pant so I can fix the wheels independantly and add the pant, then used some CA to fix the bolt, put the plastic screw from the outside in and secure the pant.

Name:	Pn35504.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	579002  
Old 12-17-2006, 06:12 PM
lthibault

I must admit that I had trouble putting the rods in those tubes. For whatever reason the end of one of the tubes was tight and the rod woulnd't go through...plus the glue was not very strong, had to put epoxy all over once the rods were inside.

Before putting the rods inside I sprayed white grease on them.

Name:	Ay73743.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	579033  
Old 12-17-2006, 06:15 PM
lthibault

The provided screws for the clevises are too long. Decided to carefully grind the excess metal.

That's it folks! This one looks like a winner!

Will report on flight later when weather conditions allow me to try it.

Name:	Qo41439.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	579034  
Old 12-24-2006, 02:47 AM
lthibault

With all the rain and wind up here it's been impossible to try the model during the past few days. Wheather should be OK on Monday.

Old 12-25-2006, 04:56 PM
lthibault

Finally maiden today! The plane flies beautifully!

This little model is very sensible on the elevator so I dialed -60 Expo on the elevator and left the ailerons as is. Had to make minor trimming and then it was very easy to control the plane.

A few observations so far:

-Rolls are crisp and nice
-Vertical is pretty good
-The plane glides very nicely on landings

On the overall I'm very happy with this airplane.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:09 AM
Auger1

LUC, GUYS,
I am so happy to see you all here. i have a cap 232 46s from world models for six months already in the box. because until now i could not figure out what engine should i put. its eigther 0.46 or 0.59. because i was so confused. in the other websites it says there that this model is flyable in 0.46- 0.59. but in my manual it says CAP 232 -46S IS SPECIALLY DESIGNED TO BE POWERED BY 2C 0.46 OR 4C 0.70 ENGINE, USING A MORE POWERFUL ENGINE DOES NOT MEAN BETTER PERFORMANCE. IN FACT, OVER POWERED ENGINE MAY CAUSE SEVERE DAMAGE AND INJURIES. which rings a bell to me. on the other hand i wanted the airplane to undergo unlimited vertical climb. thats why i never attemp to start assembling it without buying the engine first. because the firewall is pre drilled and blind nuts are installed. the problem is if i put bigger engine i might drill another holes to the firewall and weeken it. i realy need a good experience advice here before i make a big mistake and lead this project to disaster. so what engine should i use?