Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Doc Austin

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 09:03 PM
zoott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doc Austin

Hey doc how much different does the 40 size pulse fly from the mini?
Whats the differences? Im about to maiden my big pulse.
Thanks
Old 04-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Doc Austin

Default RE: Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: zoott

Hey doc how much different does the 40 size pulse fly from the mini?
First, if you have the plug and play (I don't know what the instructions on the ARF call for), don't change a single thing. Put the clevices in the middle hole at the control horns and leave the connections to the servos alone. This is the perfect setup. The plane will probably come out just right on balance, but check it anyway. If it's just a tad noseheavy, that won't hurt anything on the first flight.

Hangar 9 hit the setup dead solid perfect on this plane. We took Captain Ben's Pulse PNP right out of the box, and didn't change anything. We still haven't. I've added a litttle more rudder movement with the radio on mine, but if you just just take it out and fly it the way it comes, I don't think you can go wrong.

The Pulse is such an honest plane that I don't use exponential or dual rates. I just fly it because it responds to everything I ask from it. You don't need to do anything special or trick to get it flying great. just take it out of the box and make sure everything is screwed down tight, hammer it and go. You can tinker with the setup later, but I'm pretty sure you won't change much. We didn't

All the good qualities are the same, except the big plane is much, much smoother. One thing to be extremely careful of is that the big plane won't turn as hard, or pull out as hard as the Mini. This is true of the Ultra stick lineup as well. The little planes dont weight anything, and they are grossly overpowered. They turn extremely hard compared to a plane that weighs 2.5 times more.

Also, remember that with nitro you won't have that instant, gut wrenching torque and double the power to weight ratio. You have to fly the big plane more, but it's no big deal as long as you are aware of that.

I flew my Mini Pulse all week one time, and then switched to the big plane for the weekend. I forgot I was flying the big plane and planted it upside down at the bottom of a doubler Immelman when it wouldn't pull out in the same distance that the Mini would accomplish effortlessly.

Just back way down on the antics until you have a good feel for it. If you haven't flown nitro, first, get a good nitro pilot to help you. Then, just take your time, keep your speed up a up bit, and stay up a little higher than you are use to. Feel the thing out.

It's no big deal. It's just different. The plane still turns as hard and slows down as well as almost any other nitro sport plane, but nothing like an overpowerer mini does. You are flying on a bigger scale, and you have to remember that.

Whats the differences?
The most helpful thing I can probably offer is this.................

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Pulse

I love showing these off for a lot of reasons, but mostly because the big Pulse makes me look good. In the first video, I am flying in 25mph wind conditions, and this is only my second flight with the plane after a short test hop the day before. It was way too windy to fly, but it was also our big Octoberfest airshow and there was a big crowd that was buying hotdogs and wanting to see some action. At least it wasn't my plane!

http://largoflyingclub.com/app06/pulse.wmv

The second video is with my own Pulse after I had about 25 flights on it. The winds were howling that day too, but I was on deadline to get my review out. My cameraman is extremely busy, but he was having a rare day off, so we had to go. We didn't have any slow speed footage, and we didn't have any blisteringly fast footage either. All we had was a short video of me tenatively flying someone else's unfamiliar plane in bad conditions. Here, I'm flying my own plane that I'm very comfortable with, but the conditions are not real good now either......

http://largoflyingclub.com/video/austinpls.wmv

Im about to maiden my big pulse.
If you have flown nitro, you know what to do and won't have any problems. The Pulse is about as honest and forgiving as any nitro plane you will ever get your hands on. After I wrecked mine, I was so sick, and mad at myself, that I went straight to Archie's Hobby Shop and got another one. I was flying the next day and it was like nothing had ever happened, except I was certainly a little more careful.

Good luck. Hit the hammer and don't look back. Let us know how it works out, but I'm confident you will love the plane.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:55 PM
zoott

Default RE: Doc Austin

So far the only nitro I have flown is a teainer. The Cg on my arf was dead on with my gear.
I will let you know how i make out.
Thanks