Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B

Old 01-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Raptorhawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread!

My Nitroplanes Predator B...aka "REAPER" completed it's first mission last weekend. While having such a great time flying and doing AP, it unfortunately went out of range with a DX7/6100 (about 1/2 of a mile away with full orientation and maximum squint) and ditched in the water (local pond). If you're ever wondering if it floats...here's living proof. The recovery was excellent by a very skilled pilot and a piece of wood tied to a long string. The picture on the runway was the following day after a successful Re-maiden... Soon thereafter, I changed callsign to AQ UA-9 "Splash"

Here's the edited AP video from the successful flights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_dnUraHuVQ

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32411.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	858501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17115.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	858502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50065.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	858503  
Old 01-23-2008, 05:36 PM
papajeff

Splash,

What a save! And on water, no less. All of my Pals and I went total Spektrum and we were wondering what the range limit would be
with the 6100. You sure found out the hard way! I have flown my Predator high and way out there with no problems and now I
think that I am going to tell the guys to do some ground tests for range when Spring comes. I'm pleased that it worked out so well
for you.

Now, I would really like to know what type of camera you were using because I noticed that your image was clear and you
were able to rotate the camera for coming and going shots. I just may have found another unique UAV for us, so lets keep in contact.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Raptorhawk

ORIGINAL: papajeff

Splash,

What a save! And on water, no less. All of my Pals and I went total Spektrum and we were wondering what the range limit would be
with the 6100. You sure found out the hard way! I have flown my Predator high and way out there with no problems and now I
think that I am going to tell the guys to do some ground tests for range when Spring comes. I'm pleased that it worked out so well
for you.

Now, I would really like to know what type of camera you were using because I noticed that your image was clear and you
were able to rotate the camera for coming and going shots. I just may have found another unique UAV for us, so lets keep in contact.

The camera use was the FCO2 (Fly Cam One 2) which I purchased from [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com]Hobby Lobby[/link]. The fco2 has the option to use a servo to rotate for "Look Down" / "Look Forward". The "Look down" video is actually a video camera I dissected and made to fit inside underneath the battery. It was originally a RCA "Small Wonder" purchased at my local WalGreen. I spliced 3 videos together to make the music video.

I couldn't just fly this distinguished aircraft...

Yes, I recommend to use the Spektrum receiver with the satellite antenna such as the AR6200 if you plan on flying extended range, E.g beyond "sqint" mode.

Errol
Old 01-24-2008, 05:34 AM
papajeff

Errol,

Thank you for the camera info. If it is possible, a few photos of your camera set-up would be most appreciated. Again, your comments,
video and contribution to this thread are most appreciated.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Raptorhawk

The FCO2 is small and can be mounted directly underneath using either velcro or preferably double sticky. My FCO2 is "deep six" in the lake. I don't want to encourage anyone to disassemble a $100 video camera when the FCO2 will work All you need is Window Movie Maker and you're good to go!

Errol

Old 01-26-2008, 12:19 PM
merctech1979

i am about to order one shortly and was wondering how long of servo extension do i need and how many?? also how do i make so that i can have a steerable wheel??
Old 01-26-2008, 08:45 PM
papajeff

ORIGINAL: merctech1979

i am about to order one shortly and was wondering how long of servo extension do i need and how many?? also how do i make so that i can have a steerable wheel??

As I recall, a 24" extension for each wing (see post # 14) and a 36" extension from the ESC to
the Rx in the nose (see post #38). With regard to the steerable nose wheel mod, I remember
that a few of the guys did post here with photos. I just can't remember what post numbers, so
I will check and let you know when I find it. If you have any questions as you build
your Predator, just post them and we will reply.

Name:	Tr51290.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	861910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96370.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	861911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47336.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	861912  
Old 01-27-2008, 07:04 PM
mpo702

Hi all,
I have been following this fantastic thread for a while and I just had to get one of these from Nitro! When I opened the box I noticed that a few parts have been changed, it seems that the lower rudder has been redesigned from PJ's photos (no extra tab where it goes into the fuse) and the nose gear is completely different. Has anyone else noticed changes? I am sure I will be asking lots of question even though I have read and re-read this thread a number of times. I am thinking of using this motor and am just wondering if anyone see's problems with it? I ran this through my meter, using a 9.6 prop with a 2100 3S1P and I was getting 280 watts. Also I figure my FCO2 will help with the CG.

[link]http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2047[/link]
Old 01-28-2008, 02:24 PM
papajeff

mpo702,

Thank you for the nice comments, and I'm pleased to hear that NITRO has made some changes to their original design.
The NITRO Crew sure has devoted a great deal of effort to accommodate the Hobbiests needs and wants. This is
very evident when you look at their web site, www.nitroplanes.com, which is constantly changing and upgrading.

If your Predators flying weight ends up to be around 32oz., with your motor producing 280 watts.........you will have
140 w/lb. and that will be just fine! I would suggest to go with a 35A ESC, as opposed to a 25A, just to be on the safe side.
Have a good time with your build and, for sure, let us know if you have any questions.

Name:	Ig12060.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	863627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55936.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	863628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61669.jpg
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	863629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99948.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	863630  
Old 01-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Raptorhawk

mpo702,

Thank you for the nice comments, and I'm pleased to hear that NITRO has made some changes to their original design.
The NITRO Crew sure has devoted a great deal of effort to accommodate the Hobbiests needs and wants. This is
very evident when you look at their web site, www.nitroplanes.com, which is constantly changing and upgrading.

If your Predators flying weight ends up to be around 32oz., with your motor producing 280 watts.........you will have
140 w/lb. and that will be just fine! I would suggest to go with a 35A ESC, as opposed to a 25A, just to be on the safe side.
Have a good time with your build and, for sure, let us know if you have any questions.
I agree with Jeff about the keeping the weight to a minimum. I've seen someone using an eflight 480 motor with perfect CG but no matter what he did, his plane had a difficult time in the air, especially landing. Mine came out about 34oz with upgraded main wheels, Air Thunder 3S 2200mah lipo, eflight 400 w/10x4.7sf, CastleCreation25, Hitec65s, 13gauge wire extenstions to feed the ESC inside the rear intake (purchased at OSH). Believe it or not, with this setup, I'm only pushing about 120watts. Flight time comes out to about 20 minutes depending on wind conditions, probably longer if I manage better. I detoured from my norm and did not pursue too much power for this plane. As you saw in my previous [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_dnUraHuVQ]youtube[/link], it flew fine with my current setup. If you take Jeff's recommendation and fly as scale as possible (takeoff to landing) you will really have a blast...in my case, this is my first... excuse me... glider.

Since the weather was decent after work yesterday, we took to the air until the sun set...which was only an hour away. The second FCO2 arrived the other day so I strap her on for a couple clips and below was the end result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SjeQsqREls

Errol

Name:	Db84969.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	864730  
Old 01-29-2008, 05:57 PM
papajeff

Errol,

You sure know how to get to good old Papa Jeff! Your crew chief is just adorable! Now, what a great video and I like your choice of background music. That is exactly the right way to fly the Predator and just have a good time doing it. Boy, do I wish we had your weather just for a week or so. Although there has not been much snow yet, this Winter, I think that all of us are getting RC Cabin Feaver! Thank you, again for your
excellent video.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:27 AM
chrishornby

Jeff, don't keep us in suspense any longer, What is your new uav project??
Chris
Old 01-31-2008, 08:57 PM
papajeff

ORIGINAL: chrishornby

Chris
All right....all right, What if I found an EDF Global Hawk?

Name:	Us53252.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	866577  
Old 01-31-2008, 10:43 PM
brownlab

ORIGINAL: chrishornby

Chris
All right....all right, What if I found an EDF Global Hawk?
REALLY, I was planning on making a profile prop powered g-hawk but my esc, motor, and TX stopped working so i cant.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:18 AM
chrishornby

Jeff, I would be seriously impressed if you found a global hawk..
1. Have you got one?
2. Where did you get it??

Chris
Old 02-03-2008, 01:21 PM
georgee

Hi Gents,

The 1st flight of my Predator was an absolutely success.Although the weather was less than perfect,a little bit gusty I got accustomed this birdy in no time.It was obvious that using the rudder is a must at this plane.Other way its a purebreed glider.I love it,got awsome power with the brushless outrunner,reaching the clouds in no time[sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Config:
Motor A22-20L Keda/300watt/,Esc Keda .40A,4 pc Towerpro 9g servo,APC 10x7 prop,Dualsky2200 3 cell 25/50c
battery,MZK Sexta RX Fut.9CAP Super TX

Thanks guys for this cool topic and good luck everyone with the Predator!

Ps.:Papajeff,I saw you in the march 2008 issue of FlY RC magazine at the NEAT FAIR.There were a lot of cool electrics.Did you see anything that can follow the UAV project?

Regards,

Georgee

Name:	Ki18730.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	869052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45295.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	869053  
Old 02-04-2008, 12:46 PM
georgee

Hi Folks,

Today I flew again the Predator in a light breeze.Its a really easy to fly plane just don"t forget to use some rudder when turning the plane,otherwise there"s no bad habit at all.In my opinion its gonna be a good thermal chaser when the spring come back.Its true that my main field of interest in the RC, the giant scale gassers,but the electrics /with todays refined components like Lipo Batteries, brushless motors/ are fun to fly.I always take an electric plane with my gassers to the field,and being the Predator is one of my favourite now,I won"t let it home when the good weather is back. I"d recommend this bird for everybody with some sailplane and aileron experience.I"ll searching a suitable rc camera for the Predator.

Georgee[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 02-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Pappy-86
My Feedback: (6)

Hello Georgee Grats on the madian and I agree it is a nice electric plane. I see you made the same mistake as I did you put your decals on upside down. The single point of the star faces forward and up. Now there was no excuse for me as I served 6 years in the Airforce and own over 30 warbirds. Only thing I can blame it on is Papajeff he made such a nice pitch for the plane I had to run ont buy one put it togeather over night and was in such a hurry to finish it I put my decals on upside down. Im sure the same thing is true for you so it not shame on me and you its shame on Papajeff. Glad to see there is another gas guy flying an electric plane I used to fly gas 100% till I got a parkzone typhoon for Xmas one year and it hooked me I now have 30 electric and 2 gas. I have found it to be true there are 2 kinds of pilots those who fly electric and spend the day flying and those who fly gas and spend the day working on and tuning there engines. Anyways good luck with all your flying and remember to put the point up and forward.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:04 PM
imwebbo

Keep up the great thread guys,
Just found a good website with some 'full size' reaper pics on and thought it may be of interest.
http://air-attack.com/images/single/...-9-Reaper.html
Old 02-05-2008, 08:11 PM
papajeff

ORIGINAL: imwebbo

Keep up the great thread guys,
Just found a good website with some 'full size' reaper pics on and thought it may be of interest.
http://air-attack.com/images/single/...-9-Reaper.html
Thank you for the great UAV web site. I'll just have to raid my Grandkids' toy boxes again to find
some more armament for my Predator and my soon to arrive Global Hawk.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:19 PM
papajeff

Georgee,

I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying your Predator so much. Yes, it must be true as Warbird-Dave has stated,
it's all my fault about you guys putting the decals on upside down. It must have something to do with those cigars
that Greg Covey keeps giving me. Do you and Dave think that must be the reason that I dont know my left from
my right????????????

Name:	Db85326.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	871033  
Old 02-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Sidifan

All of this PREDATOR talk is making me hungry ! I just brought one of these puppies just from reading the threads here. What away to be informed on what is known to work "taking the guess workout " at least for me.

PapaJeff, I will have to include you in my income tax write off.... LOL

Chris, any luck on those pictures on how and where you mounted your cam ?

That's it, I'm going to the air field tomorrow.... My PREDATOR isn't ready but myHanger 9 F-22 Fly like a Getto Bird...................Sweeet
Old 02-06-2008, 03:09 AM
georgee

Hi Papajeff,

Yes,maybe you should stay away from those tricky cigars[sm=wink_smile.gif]
If you find a new UAV project pls inform us.

Regards,

Georgee
Old 02-07-2008, 10:17 AM
papajeff

Georgee,

Looks like one of my next projects will be the Global Hawk EDF. And, maybe an up-grade or two, for the Predator.

Name:	Sq45968.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	872271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20546.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	872272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60722.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	872273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98737.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	872274  
Old 02-07-2008, 10:21 AM
papajeff

Some more photos! I found some misc info about the Predator classifications. The MQ-1 and MQ-1B are the slightly
smaller version with the twin, downward & outward angled rear stabilizers. The bigger Predator is the MQ-9 Reaper
and /or RQ-1 Reaper with the "Y" tail like our Nitro Model version. So, there!

Name:	Sq46865.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	872276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38268.jpg
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	872277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84053.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	872278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl26459.jpg
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	872279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny26906.jpg
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	872280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95332.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	872281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30385.jpg
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	872282  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.