Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B

Well I got my Predator in the air. I ended up putting a Heads-Up RC Sport 400 Brushless to a 30 W esc. I added a GWS 9050 prop and it was a bullet. I found no reason to put a steerable nose on it yet. But today the wing snapped in a steep turn because the spar snapped. It had been replaced from the original. But why I want o mention this was the Predator went staright in and NO damage!!!!!
    A tough beast. It took about 2 hours and beefing up the tail feathers and spar. I usede graphite for main spar and took a piece and drilled the v-tail also to reinforce. Maybe over kill.

It is my best flying model, soars in thermal, I am a thermal pilot. If I had 10 kits at the field the last two days, I would have sold them all.

Heads Up has reverse props now, tri-blade. I will try them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glad your Predator survived. As mentioned earlier in these posts, it is common practise to use a solid carbon rod for the wing spar to reduce the likelihood of a fold-up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all,
    Well my Predator arrived at home in UK today. So thats 13 days door to door from US thats not bad is it. I did have to pay some tax duty and a commision to UK Post Office for handling the local admin. All this came to an additional £22, butI sort of expected it. It arrived in a tough cardboard box inside another box. The actual brown box has no writing or pictures on it. There is an instruction manual ant that is identical to the picture of the manual at the start of this forum. So it is the same Predator kit as sold by Nitro .So nothing is damaged and it looks all there. I will be putting it away in the garage for a bit and collecting the electrics, also it is a bit cold here just at the moment for being in the garage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Papajeff,
    Just looking over my new Predator. The wing joiner tube is hollow alloy . Most people seem to refer to glass fibre tube so is the alloy one inferior?
    Should I put a carbon rod inside this alloy tube or should i just put in a new carbon tube?
    The wing joiner tubelooks fairy short, do you think it is worthwhile trying to open out the hole further into the wings to put through a longer tube?
    But maybe as it wont be fully supported by a sleeve inside the wing a longer tube will just float abut with little effect?

Regarding holding the wings together, what do you think about just putting a strap across under the fus and putting a couple of screws up into the wings onto some small hardwood blocks? not too elegent but there is no real load, we are only trying to stop the wings sliding off the tubes ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hurricb,

I'm pleased to hear that your Predator arrived in the UK with no damage. It is interesting to hear that the original
    fiberglass/carbonfiber wing tube has been replaced with a metal one. I believe that the Mfg. has realized that
    there have been too many problems with the thin- walled original wing tube which caused the wings to fold
    in flight during some hard flying. The metal tube should be just fine, but if you prefer to insert a solid carbon
    rod inside the metal tube, is sure can not hurt.

I do not think that a longer tube, further inserted into the wings, would be of any advantage as I believe that
    the metal tube will solve the previous issue. As far as the method to bettersecure the wings to the fuselage,
    I have had no problem with the way that I did it in post # 116, page 5. It is simple and it works just fine.
    Your idea of using a strap would also work. I do recommend that the Predator be flown in a very scale-like
    manner as it is not designed to be a highly acrobatic airplane. If flown just like a real UAV,the Predator will
    performwithout any problems. Please let us know how your project progresses.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I went with Carbon fiber after the wing tube snapped in a high bank with 15mph winds. It survived the crash very well requiring little help. Just placed the MD80 Mini DV in the nose. Worked perfectly. Great pictures with little noise from motor.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello all,

I am new to this forum as well as the electric RC airplane world. I have purchased the Predator kit for an Enginneering project for my college.
    I have read the forum about 3 times now. I will be using your tips on the making the main wings removable.

I will begin the building process this afternoon. If there are any tips or major revisions to the instructions to make the build go smoothly, please let me know

Thank you
    Doc Holladay

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Doc,

Welcome to the Predator Crew and I hope that you enjoy your build. You can see, from the many
    timest you have read the build thread, that basically most of the guys have built their Predators
    in the same way as outlined here. A few minor differences, depending on the purpose of the
    completed plane, and a few mods for the aireal photo guys. Keep us informed of your progress
    and never hesitate to ask if you have any questions. Have fun!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was going to get a solid Carbon rod for the wing tube but on checking we have the solid carbon rod in the kit- What gives ? are they MFG the kits with dif ones , IE Hollow Carbon , hollow metal and now we find solid carbon
    Don Mowery rcskyjumper.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don,

Now that's very interesting! I thought that allthe 63" wing-span, green camoPredators, like mine and
    all the other originals, were make by the same Mfg. and distributed by Nitro. There was, and or is, one
    other green camo Predator with a 74" wing-span that I have heard of, but I don't where it is available.

I will confirm with Nitro, but I think that Nitro will be getting another, more improved Predator in the
    next few weeks. When I get the correct info, I will post it in this thread.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Papajeff,

AsI said in my previous post my Predator kit thats just arrived has the hollow alloy tube .The kit did not come through Nitro ,I got it from a supplier on e-bay USA there was no picture label on the box but is definitly the same kit, same instruction leaflet inside.Though new it could still be old stock./ It would be interesting to know which isthe latest spec.
    One other thing that is different from pictures i have seen on this site.
    The the tubes for theelevator push rods are routed differently at the front. near the servo mountings The tubes areheld in the wood so that the servo arms connect to the rods on the outside arc of their operating sweep not in the centre of the fuz. So in picture 7 page 3 of the manual the servo arms will be the oposite way around. Hope this makes sense . Maybe lots are like this ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hurricb,

The UK Predator expert is chrishornby and I'm sure that he could be a great help to you. My Predator came
    from Nitro and could be considered one of the originals. It did come with a black fiberglass or CF wing tube.
    That original tube was not strong enough and did cause several wing folding incidents and was replaced with
    a stronger tube. It seems that the tube of choice is now a metal one. So your Predator has to be one of the
    new versions and I believe that they are all still made by CMP (China Model Products) under the name of
    "Evergreen Models." Let's see if Chris agrees with this.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 74" version is sold by Hobbyking. Posts 767 & 768 show features that identify it from the nitro version. The wing joiner is a square aluminium spar.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike,

At first,I thought that theHK Predator was the same asthe Nitro "Evergreen" model. But I have found that
    the 74" wing-span one is a TMPro model. Now,I am not sure which came first the chicken or the egg.......
    not that it matters.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The HK version has a completely different flight alure than the one described here.
    Only think it is 11" more wingspan and 150 grams lighter !
    I own it and flying is a joke, almost a glider, no stall tip in turns, nothing nasty.
    Look here the maiden, last summer:
    http://exposureroom.com/members/rena...63e1fbc1e013c/
    and the landing:
    http://exposureroom.com/members/rena...b5fda2b9f791f/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Renato,

Very nice video's and I'm pleased that you posted them. A bunch of us were trying to figure out what the story
    was with the different wing tubes that were included invarious Predator models. Here's what we got so far;

1) TMPro available at Hobby King - UAV Predator EP (ARF) 74" wingspan - rectangular aluminum wing joiner
    2) CMPro (Evergreen) NitromodelsUAV Predator RQ-1B (ARF) 63" wingspan -Carbonfiber wing tube
    (11 1/2 " L X 2.25mm dia. X 1mm thick wall)
    3) Recent Predator (purchased on line by Hurricb) RQ-1B (ARF) 63" wingspan - metal alloy wing tube
    (see post below)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Papajeff

To add to your data :

My 63 inch "new" Predator B UAV has a short hollow alloy wing tube 192mm long od is 6.08mm id is 3.7 mm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hurricb

Hi Papajeff

To add to your data :

My 63 inch "new" Predator B UAV has a short hollow alloy wing tube 192mm long od is 6.08mm id is 3.7 mm
    Well, we are getting there with trying to figure out what is what with all of these different wing joiners.
    Hey, did you ever try to get in touch with Chrishornby over there across the pond where you are?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Papajeff

I have'nt started putting it together yet. The weather here is just clearing up so we can start to get some flying in. I am concentrating trying to get my "A" cert sorted out first, hopefullyin the next couple of weeks .I am not an experienced flyer yet so the Predator will be a month or two down the line. Cris is about 150 miles from me but he will be a good "local" resource

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hurricb

Papajeff

I have'nt started putting it together yet. The weather here is just clearing up so we can start to get some flying in. I am concentrating trying to get my "A" cert sorted out first, hopefullyin the next couple of weeks .I am not an experienced flyer yet so the Predator will be a month or two down the line. Cris is about 150 miles from me but he will be a good "local" resource
    I am pleased to hear that Chris is in your neck of the woods and you can be in touch on the net.
    He is a great wealth of RCinformation and he's a really good Chap, to boot! Tell him that I send
    my regards.

You said that your pushrods were routed in a different manner than in the original design Predator
    that I have. Here is a photo of my equipment bay, showing the routing. When you get started on
    your Predator, post a photo of your fuse interior so that we might make the comparison.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge95524.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	1393741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xu62820.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	1393742  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Papajeff,

I was wondering if I can run the two rear servos off a 'Y' spliter so I could use one plug on my transmitter. I am using a 5 channel at the moment. So one for each wing, throttle is one, one for the two rear servos and then one for my auto-pilot system. Will that work?

Oh, where can I find the little latch for the access door? One like the one shown of an "old warbird."

Thank you
    Doc Holladay

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Please excuse the reply to a question directed to Papa J. You need to use two separate channels for the rear servos as the Vtail provides the functions of both elevator and rudder. Ideally 5 channels is what you need, but you could use a Y connector for the ailerons, and then only need four channels.

If your transmitter does not have a built-in mix for a VTail, you can get a small Vtail mixer for a few bucks that performs that function (you just plug it in between your servos and the receiver.)

Hope this helps...Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you very much lejongleur.

I appreciate the tip. Now, I should be able to find this mixer at the hobby store right? Or would it probably be cheaper to order it online?

Thank you for your help
    Doc Holladay

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lejongleur

Please excuse the reply to a question directed to Papa J. You need to use two separate channels for the rear servos as the Vtail provides the functions of both elevator and rudder. Ideally 5 channels is what you need, but you could use a Y connector for the ailerons, and then only need four channels.

If your transmitter does not have a built-in mix for a VTail, you can get a small Vtail mixer for a few bucks that performs that function (you just plug it in between your servos and the receiver.)

Hope this helps...Chris
    Chris,

You can reply for me, any day! It's like we have become just one HUGE group when it comes
    to this Predator thread.........and I like it!!!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: papajeff

Don,

I will confirm with Nitro, but I think that Nitro will be getting another, more improved Predator in the
    next few weeks. When I get the correct info, I will post it in this thread.
    Well, we just got our answer to the burning question; Will NITROMODELS be getting a new and
    improved Predator model????? THEANSWER ISYES!!!!!!

Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast