Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B

This Predator from NITRO Models has to be the BEST that I have seen!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are some interesting stats on the new Nitro Predator;

Wingspan - 98"
    Fuselage length - 42"
    Flying weight - @ 5.75 lbs.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm getting carried away with the photos, so here is the link to the Nitro page of the "NEW" Predator;

http://www.nitroplanes.com/mq9.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Vtail Mixer - You can probably get one locally. Here is a link a couple of them - check the reviews to see what you think:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...o_V-Tail_Mixer

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...r._Ultra-small

- A Google search for 'Vtail Mixer' shows lots of entries. As I said, your transmitter may well have a Vtail Mix built-in.

Good luck and let us know how if goes...Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I may just buy me some of those rocket pods for my existing 63" Predator!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks like the fuse is fibreglass !!! We will need special 2.4 receivers, i.e. the ones made for gliders. Wonder if Spektrum/JR makes a 7ch receiver for a fibreglass fuselage? (The extra channels might be needed for bomb drops, camera switches, sound effects, or a specialized function to make the wings fall off like the smaller Predators!)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lejongleur

Looks like the fuse is fibreglass !!! We will need special 2.4 receivers, i.e. the ones made for gliders. Wonder if Spektrum/JR makes a 7ch receiver for a fibreglass fuselage? (The extra channels might be needed for bomb drops, camera switches, sound effects, or a specialized function to make the wings fall off like the smaller Predators!)
    Chris,

I think that the regular Spektrum or JR 2.4 receivers will work just fine inside a fiberglass fuselage.
    I believe that the special receivers have been recently designed for planes that have a large amount
    of carbon fiber incorporated into the construction.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This thing looks like a thermal machine! Cute little curl up on the tips....should be a great performer.

Hi PapaJeff
    Thanks for your response, regret taking so long to respond. In reguard to the TMP Pred being easier to fly I disagree. There are just as many people having problems with tip stalls and spar problems with the 74" version as with the 63", check the Hobby King form. Although the TMP is 11" longer the wing area is the same. Renatoa is just a talented pilot. The fact the motor is located where it is has to create flight charactoristics that pilots are not used to.
    That said this this new Reaper is surely the finest of the lot. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

ORIGINAL: renatoa

The HK version has a completely different flight alure than the one described here.
    Only think it is 11'' more wingspan and 150 grams lighter !
    I own it and flying is a joke, almost a glider, no stall tip in turns, nothing nasty.
    Look here the maiden, last summer:
    http://exposureroom.com/members/rena...63e1fbc1e013c/
    and the landing:
    http://exposureroom.com/members/rena...b5fda2b9f791f/
    From the video it looks like the wing is about to fold. Could this "extreme" dihedral also lead to stall during turns as higher wing exceed max AOA and lose lift? It was somewhat tamer after I changed the soft aluminum wing joiner to a stiffer solid carbon one.
    dA maJiK Zmok

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is there a video of the new and improved 99 inch Predator from Nitro?

The comment above about wings bending would be my main concern without extensive testing. Maybe this is in referance to another model. The RQ bends and I did snap an inferior wing tube in a high bank turn, That has been rectified.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Doc Holladay

Papajeff,

I was wondering if I can run the two rear servos off a 'Y' spliter so I could use one plug on my transmitter. I am using a 5 channel at the moment. So one for each wing, throttle is one, one for the two rear servos and then one for my auto-pilot system. Will that work?

Oh, where can I find the little latch for the access door? One like the one shown of an "old warbird."

Thank you
    Doc Holladay
    Hey Doc,

I almost forgot about where to find that little latch for any access door. Go to www.hobby
    -lobby.com and enterHATCHLATCH in the search window.Here are two that I like.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wl7cpa

Is there a video of the new and improved 99 inch Predator from Nitro?

The comment above about wings bending would be my main concern without extensive testing. Maybe this is in referance to another model. The RQ bends and I did snap an inferior wing tube in a high bank turn, That has been rectified.
    The video can be found here; http://www.nitroplanes.com/mq9.htmlbut you have to click on
    the "video review" just under the small photo at thetop of the page.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey, I just found a ARMAMENT web site, from a few years back, that has added many new items.
    So if you're are looking for missles and bombs for Predators and Reapers.....this is the place.
    http://www.darehobby.com/accessories/index.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

See, now I'm confused. This is a photo of the Predator B and it sure looks like the Reaper.
    Not that it matters, but I'm going to do a little research on some of the UAV Military sites and
    try to get some updated info on which model is which.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since maiden (September) it flew all the fall, each week and still same angle. Probably optical.
    Once again, the larger Predator, from HK does not exhibit any stall behaviour.

ORIGINAL: RaWe

ORIGINAL: renatoa

The HK version has a completely different flight alure than the one described here.
    Only think it is 11'' more wingspan and 150 grams lighter !
    I own it and flying is a joke, almost a glider, no stall tip in turns, nothing nasty.
    Look here the maiden, last summer:
    http://exposureroom.com/members/rena...63e1fbc1e013c/
    and the landing:
    http://exposureroom.com/members/rena...b5fda2b9f791f/
    From the video it looks like the wing is about to fold. Could this ''extreme'' dihedral also lead to stall during turns as higher wing exceed max AOA and lose lift? It was somewhat tamer after I changed the soft aluminum wing joiner to a stiffer solid carbon one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Same plane but the airforce redesignated it the Reaper as it is a new airframe
    The three most useless things to a pilot, the sky above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel on the ground.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

Same plane but the airforce redesignated it the Reaper as it is a new airframe
    Thank you for the update on the Predator vs. the Reaper. I found some interesting info, such as;
    The MQ-9 has nearly nine times the range, can fly twice as high and carries more munitions than the
    MQ-1 Predator. The MQ-1 was designated the PREDATOR and the updated and upgraded MQ-9 was
    designated the REAPER. These two photos are of the Reaper.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The photos in the above post were from www.Air-Attack.comwhich is a great site for UAV info.
    I did get a kick out of the following photo which was the first one on their site;

One of my original Predator photo's from the maiden flight, that Nitro has used for Marketing
    & Promotions. And there it is on a UAV site in an add for NITROPLANES. Kinda neat!!!!!!! LOL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any one else got the solid wing rod as we do in there Predator , cant seem to find any info on it as all seem to have a hollow one of some kind
    Thanks
    Don
    Don Mowery rcskyjumper.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, based on the info in this thread I went to the LHS and bought a solid rod before I ever flew it.

Mine has only a few flights so far, and O fly it relatively carefully to avoid airframe problems - however, I've never seen mine show any tendency to have the wings bend upward the way I've seen on some of the videos/pics on this thread.

Maybe it's the solid rod.

Hi I am using the hollow alloy tube. I pressed a 4mm carbon rod through the centre . It was a real interferance fit .I reamed out the alloy tube very slightly with a long rat tail file which luckily was perfect for the job. Then slowly tapped the carbon inside. its really light and strong . but as i said before the tube is on the short side for these wings only 195mm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is anyone else unsure about the new predators specs, it reads to be awfully heavy already?
    I am looking for an airframe to go UAV and by size the new pred looks both large enough and fun because it is an UAV in real life but the mass and loading seems iffy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RRJ,

I do understand your concern about the wing loading and the flying weight of the new Reaper.
    With an anticipated flying weight of(for conversation sake, let's say) between 5 and 6 pounds,
    I would suggest to use a brushless outrunner motor that would power the plane with just about
    100 watts per pound at full throttle. This level is more than enough for Agressive Sport flying,
    with respect to any other style of airframe, and totally adequate for flying the Reaper in a very
    SCALE manner. I mean, no rolling circles, high speed pylon turns, or any other 3D manuevers.

I really believe that the new Nitro Reaper will be a great flying FPV camera platform as well as
    an impressive and unusual scale RC airplane. As soon as I get mine, I'll start a build thread
    and we can get the answers toall of these questions about the new Reaper.

Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast