Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B

The "new" Nitro Reaper is now in stock.
    I have a feeling that it might be wise to get your order in now as Ibelieve thatthat these
    new composit Reapers are going to go fast! A new REAPER MQ-9 build thread has been
    started to allow this original Predator thread to continue. Here is the link;
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9691415/tm.htm The new UAV adventure begins!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is anyone going to start up an RQ-9 thread? Mine arrives via UPS tomorrow, and it's bare bones ... so we need some discussion on powerplants, ESCs, batteries, servos, extra-long extensions, etc. (the Nitro page for this model has a reviewer's video, and ll these topics are mentioned, but just one man's approach. How about others?
    MadMan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MadMan,

I had planned to start a Reaper build thread as soon as mine arrives as I will be doing a review
    on it. I just think that a new thread might be in order since the current Predator thread is getting
    quite long and should be kept independent as it is the original that started all the interest in scale
    UAV's. I just started that thread as why wait, right?
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9691415/tm.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi, papa john. I am somewhat new to rc airplanes and I was wondering what piece connected the predators wing servo to the aileron? The pieces for each wing that connect those two things do not seem to be included in the box and are not in your pictures.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi papa john. I am somewhat new to rc airplanes and I was wondering what piece from the box connected the wing servo to the aileron. It looks like a little metal rod and it does not seem to be in your pictures of the contents. Thanks in advance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ferenium523

Hi papa john. I am somewhat new to rc airplanes and I was wondering what piece from the box connected the wing servo to the aileron. It looks like a little metal rod and it does not seem to be in your pictures of the contents. Thanks in advance.
    A control rod, which should be included in your kit, connects the servo to the aileron control horn. I hope
    that these photos help and good luck with your build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk27593.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	1471307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb88673.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	1471308  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you don't have them already, pushrods are easily available from your local hobby shop, as can the clevises (the forks that connect the rod to the servo arm or the horn mounted on the aileron.) If this is your first attempt to set up a plane, I would suggest you enlist help from your club or hobby shop. Getting pushrods installed and the right length seems difficult until you've done it a few times. I always have a few extra pushrods on hand to account for my own incompetence.

The link below may cover more information than you want, but has a lot of useful stuff:

http://www.********.com/forum/blog.php?b=35

Hope this helps...Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thought I would return with further fruits of my labour to help those that helped me.
    Remember folks all the details are from manufacturer so if yours is lighter that is because you chose to use lighter stuff. All rules and reasons are explained in the spreadsheet. Hope it helps
    files.ukcs.net/12830/RC_plane_data.xls

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

rrjwilson,

Al I can say is; WOW! What an extensive breakdown of weight & mass data and I'm sure that this
    research did not take you a day or two! I found the information fascinating and I hope that all the
    guys that have followed this thread find the same. Thank you for your efforts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes thanks RRJ. I see that my Sukhoi SU29 comes in with the horriblest wing load - no surprise to me, but of course, as it is a 3D plane I have fortunately set it up to have nearly 200 watts/pound (2100 watts on 10S), which lets you get away with everything, (until it's time to land.)

I was surprised to see that the big 98" MQ9 comes in second worst (are you sure?) If that's the case, then I guess this MQ9 model must have incredibly narrow wings.

I appreciate your work in putting this together...Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chris, I thought the same about the 98" Reaper and it looks like the original Predator wings and
    the Reaper wings are just about the same cord, but different lengths. I just meaured to be sure;
    the Reaper cord is 7 1/4" and the Predator cord is 7".

Name:	Av68757.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	1478912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig13814.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	1478911  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello papajeff sorry to interject here but i need help, im new to RC planes and im going to purchase a PREDATOR RQ-1B from nitroplanes.com and i'd like to know if there is an emergency parachute in the predator because im new to this stuff and i'd like to not waste my money on a first flight crash. (i was at the website and you had captions on a parachute in the uav) also if there are parts that i have to buy along with the plane what are they? (it said there was a motor and a controller which was recommended/needed, both i don't think they go with the plane :/).
    PLEASE REPLY

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi papa john and anyone else who is reading. I bought the predator and i also bought (of course) a 11.1v li-po 2200mah   25c battery for it. It has the to plugs to connect to the esc. but the plug that connects to the receiver has for openings where as my receiver has only 3 "prongs" to plug servos and such into. Forgive me, i am new to airplanes but to anyone who can answer, thankyou!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ant1661498

Hello papajeff sorry to interject here but i need help, im new to RC planes and im going to purchase a PREDATOR RQ-1B from nitroplanes.com and i'd like to know if there is an emergency parachute in the predator because im new to this stuff and i'd like to not waste my money on a first flight crash. (i was at the website and you had captions on a parachute in the uav) also if there are parts that i have to buy along withthe plane what are they? (it said there was a motor and a controller which was recommended/needed, bothi don't think they go with the plane :/).
    PLEASE REPLY
    Sorry about the delay as I just saw your question. If you go back to the first few pages of this thread, you will
    find all the necessary items that you will need for this build.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ferenium523

hi papa john and anyone else who is reading. I bought the predator and i also bought (of course) a 11.1v li-po 2200mah 25c battery for it. It has the to plugs to connect to the esc. but the plug that connects to the receiver has for openings where as my receiver has only 3 "prongs" to plug servos and such into. Forgive me, i am new to airplanes but to anyone who can answer, thankyou!!!
    First of all, your 3 cell Li-Po battery does in fact have two leads that connect to the ESC. However,
    the second, small connector on the battery pack is the charging tap. (see the photos below)

In all honesty, I do suggest that you check around your home town to see if you can get involved with
    a local RC club, as they would be a vast wealth of knowledge for you with respect to your build of the
    Predator. Also, a local Hobby Shop is a great contact for information.

Name:	Us54455.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	1489834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd91930.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	1489835  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi - I agree with Papa J that it would help you a lot to talk to someone who has already handled this kind of problem. Lipos normally have two leads - 2 fat ones which connect to the speed controller (ESC), and another smaller plug which ONLY connects to your charger to ensure that all the battery's cells are charged to the same voltage during charging (called a balance lead.) This second lead is definitely not for use to power anything.

Power for your receiver comes from one of two sources - if you are running a plane with 3 cells (3S) or less (and you are), most ESCs can power your receiver via the throttle connection - you will not need to connect anything to the three-pin 'power' connector on the ESC. In your case, that is what you should do.

FYI - when using 4S or more, you usually need to buy a separate BEC, e.g.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=4319

- this is wired to the battery in parallel with the ESC, and provides a source of power to the receiver that is both smoothed and the correct voltage (4.8 or 6V)

Hope this helps...Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi papa john, i recently got my motor to work with the propeller. A few days later, when i plugged the motor in, it made its usually start up beeps. When i turned up the throttle the motor made a feeble attempt to spin make a dull metal on metal type sound. I think the wire inside the black rubber cable is broken apart. How could i fix that, or do i need to buy a new motor?  Also when i get it to work, how to i make the prop spin so it is pushing air instead of sucking?

Thank you in advance

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ferenium,

First, make sure that your motor is not defective or in need of repair. Check the three wire leads
    if you think that they might be broken or if the solder connections to the pin connectors are not
    proper. Also check to see if the rotor turns properly by hand without any rubbing noise. If you
    find that you hear a rubbing noise or grinding sound, your internal magnets are bad.

To change the rotation direction of the prop, just change the connection of any two of the three
    motor wires with those of the ESC. Finally, again try to make a connection with your local Hobby
    Shop and a local RC Club to ask for some help with your Predator problems.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi papajeff
    i recently bought a RQ-1B
    the motor i have currently bought doesnt have a prop adapter or a mount
    i noticed that the motor that you recommended and is on the first page of the forum comes with the screw on adapter
    looking at your forum and posts, you seem to know where to be able to get parts quite easily
    do you know any sites or places that i can order the 4 screw prop adapter from? 
    (my motor is the same specifications as your hacker-style, only more powerful)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Samz,

The best option for you would be to email the motor Manufacturer, or the company that you bought the motor
    from, and try to get the original parts (prop adapter & mount) that came with the motor. If that is not possible,
    go to your LHS with the motor and see if they have the parts that you need and in this way you will know for sure
    that the adapter and mount will be an exact fit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thnx papa
    ima go look around and see what i can do

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Samz,

You could try the following link; http://www.maxxprod.com/as they have a good selection of motor parts.
    As you can see in this photo, most motors have mounts that are mated to their motors and have the same
    layout for the attachment.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

oooo thanks papa!
    and also 
    the RQ-1 that i bought seems to be a newer version
    it is not the MQ series and I know for sure i bought the one that matches with the one you bought (decals, camo, pictures of box, etc)
    i wanted to go with your idea of detachable wings using the little (ummmm) plastic thingies (cant remember for my life)
    to do that i need to cut open a hatch out of the wood yes? next to the main gear?
    well the predator that i have has many empty spots along the bottom of the fuse that arent reinforced by balsa
    the closest solid wood that is cuttable is the piece the main gear is connected to (about an inch -_-)
    any ideas?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Samz,

Regarding the hatch cutout which is necessary for the removable wing mod,go back to post
    #28-30 on this thread and you will see how I did it on my original Predator. If yours is a newer
    version with a different internal structure, it might take some innovation to get the proper hatch
    placement. The purpose for the hatch is to gain access to the inside of the fuselage in order to
    screw in the plastic wing attaching bolts, so the placement is important.

Post #116 will give you the info on the method that I used for making the wings removeable.
    I hope that this helps and let us know how it goes for you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the only solution i can see is a part of the plane that isnt supported with balsa and is 1.5ish inches from the main gear
    that 1.5inch is wood but is connected directly with the main gear (don't want to take the risk)
    the non-balsa area i mentioned is a 3.75ish rectangle but has angled corners
    if i cut it out and put a wooden hatch the size of the door do you think it will work?
    the area goes all the way up to where the wood starts to bulge for the nose

Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast