Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

Click, Swooooosh, bam. Looked like a shot duck. Both wings folded up about 15-20' off the ramp and she went in hard. Guess I should have looked a little closer at the spar.

Oh well all electronics held up, and I have another on the way.

I'm sorry to hear about your Predator and mine did the same because the carbonfiber wing tube failed! I put a second, smaller dia CF rod inside the regular tube and with the new nylon bolt wing attachment, have never had any problems since! Got the fuse from a pal who mashed both of his wings as he flew into a tree, the fuse escaped without even a scratch. Nitro is supposed to send me another fuse, but they have been out of stock on the Predator for about 2-3 months. Where are you getting your new Predator from, as maybe I can get a fuse from them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I cheated, I went to Raidentech. Same company different name. Same ad's that don't make any sense. http://www.raidentech.com/arfrarecorc3.html

Looks like same bird, different color. Says it's a glider, but photo shows a prop on it.
    At least from the pics, it appears to be V-tail only. That and I believe it now has a 70"+ wingspan. again if the ad is to believed.
    Missing Man Formation, Looking heavenward you can't help but shed a tear, mournful, lonesome, a hole that screams out at you.
    P-38 Lightning Brotherhood #75

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Papa, I almost forgot, really nice job on the wing attachment, and spar reinforcement. I'll give it a whirl on the new one.

One thing I did find on mine. Loops tend to make the wings flex badly at the fuselage. Ok I know it's not a sport plane but I had to see if it would do it.
    Anyhow, my point being, I epoxied my wings in place and was forever touching up the joints, as it seemed every flight would crack the joint after those loops. Could be I did more structural damage then cosmetic in doing loops and what I was seeing was just a forewarning of what was going to happen.
    Missing Man Formation, Looking heavenward you can't help but shed a tear, mournful, lonesome, a hole that screams out at you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How right you are! It's the high loops that really puts the pressure on those long slim wings. BIG loops are not as much of a problem with wing flex and the rod inside the wing tube makes a BIG difference. As far as the white "glider" style Predator is concerned, it is actually a different plane than the camo ones that we both have (and/or had.....in one piece, that is!!!!!) Nitro has informed that the camo Predator should be back in stock any week now. Time will tell.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you guys mixing the 'ruddervators' or just using the tail as an elevator?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tony,

Mixing the "ruddervators" is the way to go. With the long narrow wings and the short fuselage, the ailerons needed a little offset that the "rudder"
    action can provide in order to make the turns more level. Again, the design of the Predator sure does not make it a candidate for knife-edge flight.
    So, it tends to want to fall out of the sky if the aileron turns are too severe. We know this from experience......but the high altitude was our friend!

We had some fun this past weekend by flying the Predator high enough to harass two turkey vultures who were not really pleased to have their territory invaded! Having converted to Spektrum, using the AR 6100 Rx, the control and range has been amazing! Many flights have been as if
    the Predator was just a strange looking glider, just thermal-ing around with power off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn37973.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	774051   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa85725.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	774052   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge94230.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	774053  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Papajeff,
    It is Chris again! I am glad to hear you have come round to my way of thinking both on wing attachment and Spektrum. The Spektrum is brilliant, never had a glitch although I crashed my P-47 because I didnt look at the rx battery for ages. Live and learn. My Pred is in the hangar getting a new scheme, I am removing the camo and making it whiish like the reaper, and on your suggestion putting some pylons and ordnance under the wings, You asked to see my A-10, it is similar to the EJF one twin 400watt EDFs and 50" wingspan. It was a horrible green colour so I changed it to look more like the real thing. Here are some pictures, the only mods I have done (so far) is tpo replace the U/C legs with oleos

Name:	Lj24210.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	774102   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh19518.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	774103  
    What comes down must always go up!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Papajeff, have you worked out a way to mix the ruddervators with the ailerons? So that you get right or left rudder with right or left aileron? I can do it with straight rudder but not sure what the issues are with ruddervators.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chris,

Your A-10 looks like a beauty! Nice job on the conversion. Who is the MFG? I thought that EJF had the only larger one available. You're right on with the Spektrum....it is the best! I'll make sure that I'm correct on the mixing of the ailerons to the "ruddervators" and will send you the instructions to accomplish it. Have a good day!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

is that A GWS A-10
    the wind is a planes worst enemy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

do you think this is cool. i want it because that is one of my favorite planes and you dont see very manyE2C

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: brownlab

do you think this is cool. i want it because that is one of my favorite planes and you dont see very manyE2C

Hey, do you actually have a brown lab? If so, what is his name? Anyway, Chris's A-10 is not a GWS because it is bigger and not a foam construction like GWS. I like your choice of that E2C and I have seen them before at some parkflyer events. It's a good one for you to have some fun with, but remember that it is a kind of toy store RC plane basically like the Aero-Ace planes that are found at Wal-Mart and K-Mart. There is nothing wrong with these types of planes to get you the feeling of flying and controling an RC plane. Just remember that the range is limited and usually the most you can do is to fly in a circle and increase or decrease height. Remember just have fun and enjoy it!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is the ejf one and was originally green but I made it grey. see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548870 for a build thread (not mine) BTW I dont want to hijack this predator thread but thought that the type of chap who is interested in predators might like A-10s too!
    Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: chrishornby

It is the ejf one and was originally green but I made it grey. see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548870 for a build thread (not mine) BTW I dont want to hijack this predator thread but thought that the type of chap who is interested in predators might like A-10s too!
    Chris

My friend, you never have to worry about posting on this thread.......just do it!!!!!! You have been a welcomed and informed contributor and I have
    enjoyed all of your posts. Now we are pals and will continue to stay in touch, right????? RIGHT!!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Right! !

My predator is now all in grey primer, and I am just sorting out decals and a scheme, and looking forward to flying it again. It is my favorite plane and always causes a stir of interest when I bring it to the patch or take it to a fly-in somewhere.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chris,

I know exactly what you mean. For some reason, I get the same response where ever I take the Predator. Especially now that I have all the bombs, missles,
    and the "Infrared" dome on it. It sure is fun telling the spectators that the Predator is just like what Dan Landis is flying for the US Government over in Afganistan!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well the "Glider" version showed today. And yep 74"+ wingspan. Actually looks very similar to the green version. Has a really nice silver covering with slightly darker gray blothes painted on it. I'm going to see about removing them.

Now as I noticed, there is only a silly nose wheel(non steerable) and a pair of maybe 3/8" square balsa skids(?) on the bottom of the fuselage. And yes the vertical stabilizer sits below the wheel/skid line. Looking at the directions it says to mount the stab with magnets.

So I'm guessing they expect you to hand launch it and skid in, popping off the stab when you land. There is no way the stab would stay on if I bungee launched it.

Oh did I mention it came with a 380 brushed motor already installed? Oh well at least it has a nice metal face plate style mount.

Ummm, what else? No ailerons, but would be easy enough to install them. Oh and no engine(?) canopy between the tails like the other one has, just a hatch for motor access I guess.

So right off the bat, as soon as I complete my Corsiar, I will be installing landing gear, steerable nose gear. CVS camera, and check my son's model kits for what I can steal armour wise. Maybe even go with ailerons if the V tail doesn't work out.

Me like it so far.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glacier Girl,

If anyone can make the Predator "Glider" version into a real beauty.............it's YOU! When you complete your Corsair, keep us advised of your progress, please. Hey I just had thought [that's scarry, right?], have you seen Greg Covey's P-51 review with the Merlin engine sound module?
    If not, here is the link as I think that you would enjoy it. http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=908

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes, his name is grady

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: brownlab

yes, his name is grady

Well, Old Grandpa is going to tell you something! Grady is very lucky to have YOU! You are a fine young man and that is a credit to your Parents!
    Keep on track with school and everything else will come easy. Enjoy flying and never hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have or
    comments that you would like to make. Let me know which plane you finally decide to get and how good it flys.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey, Guys, look what I found for armament for any of our War Birds.

http://www.darehobby.com/accessories/armament2.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I must get me some of those! What would look good on the predator? Need some for the A-10 too.(still not managed to get it to ROG, needs a paved runway I guess)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chris,

These are not from that web site, but any combination will do.

Name:	Li21311.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	775826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qm35675.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	775827  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

looks awesome!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice find papa!!!!!

Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast