Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:40 PM
TexasWillis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B

Thank geebee7676 for the email
Thank you papajeff for your response in the tread,

I never thought about the idea of steerable nose wheel but decided against it to save weight for something else. There has been a little snag in my plane building schedule. I just passed the Logical Reasoning and Artificial Language Exam for the Border Patrol. If anyone has read this thread enough they are probably familiar with the phrase, OHHHHHHHH............YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I will be keeping up with the thread and I'm still building the Pred. I will just be moving slower than I was originally planned. I know it sounds lame but I daydream about this thing and the implications of it's use around my subdivision and with the local police department. Keep up the great advise and anything that could help me in the future. Anyone have a great idea about a paint scheme? I hear when this this flies it's really hard to see.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 PM
jumper666

For maximum visibility, keep whatever scheme you choose simple, contrasting, and LARGE.

http://www.ultimatecharger.com/color.html

Keeping track of acrobatic acft can be a challenge. Check out some of the color schemes of these two manufacturers. Watch some of their videos. You will see what works and what does not.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/SearchRes...x?CategoryID=4

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/

Congratulations on passing your exam.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27624.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1145647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15000.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1145648  
Old 02-26-2009, 10:15 PM
CaptainRandy

Gentleman,

Here's an update on my steering.

I decided before first flight to scrap the steering arrangement that I had installed. The HC 9G servo was a little small, and I needed it for one of the ailerons, as I forgot to order them on my last order. I had an extra Futaba metal gear servo, so I enlarged the hole an used that instead. I changed the steering rod to straight down from the bushing tube, so that the wheel would be on center with the rod.

It steers like a charm in my garage, so now to finish up the rest of the plane, and go for the maiden flight. I will get some photo's of the new steering arrangement, even though you guys already know what it will look like. maybe there are some that would like to see it.

No one commented on my idea for the removable wing attachment, which was to use a small piece of carbon rod in each wing root, and secure them to the fuse by stretching a rubber band or two across the bottom of the fuse. It works for holding the wings on a lot of high wing planes to prevent damage to the wings in the event of a bad landing. Just another idea to consider.

I have those rare earth magnets that I bought for this purpose, and holy cow are the powerful.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Randy - I would like to see pix of your steering version 2.0 if you can. I also think your idea for holding on the wings is fine - does it mean that the rubber bands would be on the outside of the fuse? If so, they would presumably be unnoticeable, and removing the wings would be a snap! (pardon the use of that word here.) I used another technique mentioned in this thread - self-expanding wall anchors in each wing, with nylon thumbscrews. You can find some pretty small anchors at HD so weight is not a problem, and installing them was pretty simple.

Some more good Eratix and GeeBee flights again today! However, cold and rubbish weather forecast for tomorrow (Friday.) I guess I might put those xenons on the Predator if I have to stay inside. Nah, I should really look for a job.

Regards...Chris

Old 02-28-2009, 06:37 PM
CaptainRandy

Chris,

Here are the pix of the version 2 steering. It is going to be much better than version 1. Stronger servo, and wheel axis in line with shaft. I tested it out in the garage, and it seems OK.

Yes the rubber bands would stretch across the bottom of the fuse, but also would be easy to remove them and thus the wing. I would use 2-3 thin bands just in case of a snap.

Get some pics of the Xenons

I just chatted online with Nitro Models about the servo cut out in my left wing. They are sending a replacement. Now that's service with a smile

Name:	Lj23140.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1147155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83428.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1147156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81672.jpg
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1147157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44630.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	1147158  
Old 03-05-2009, 05:24 PM
steph280
My Feedback: (5)

Randy,

Have you had a chance to try that landing gear setup? How did it work?

Is that a Futaba 3102 servo?

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:06 PM
CaptainRandy

Stephen,

Yes, in fact I was playing with it out in front of my house this evening, and it works great. I was just taxing around at all speeds, just below lift off speed. I'm sure it is going to be fine even on short grass. I used the larger wheels for the nose and main gear.

You guessed the servo right too 3102 metal gear, and I also used the spring servo saver thingy.

I am hoping for a maiden next week, but I have to get the CG correct. so far I have a 2200mah 3s lipo up front, the metal servo and larger wheel, but it is still tail heavy a bit. I don't know how they could have gotten the CG correct with a smaller battery and no nose steering. Have to work on it. I am using the CG at 2 1/4" back from the LE as Pappa Jeff recommended.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:42 PM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What 2.4 receiver is everybody using in the predator these days? Where are the mounted? AND SOME PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:51 PM
CaptainRandy

Hi pappajeff,

I haven't seen you on the thread in a while, and I had a question. I just finished up my Predator, and she weighs in at 39oz. I am using a motor similar to yours on the 1 inch nylon mounts to make the cowl fit. I also am using a metal gear servo for nose wheel steering. I have a 2200mah 3s lipo up front as far as it will go.
Right now it is still a tail tail heavy, so I have no choice but to add a tiny bit of lead in the nose. I hope it doesn't take too much. I am shooting for a cg like yours around 2 1/4 inches back from the LE. I will try a 9 X 6 SF or thin electric prop, and do a wattage check to see what power to weight ratio I get.
I can't imagine what motor they used to mount directly to the firewall, and have the cowl fit. You and I both had to use a 1 inch extension to make ours fit. This of course pushed the weight back so far that we needed to add extra weight forward to compensate.

When I get the props this week, I will get some power specs and post the results on the thread. I hope to get a maiden soon.

Thanks for a great build thread. I will copy this email to the thread for the benefit of others who are reading it.

Capt. Pappy
Old 03-08-2009, 10:52 PM
lejongleur

Capt. Randy - Regards. Mine has an AUW of just under 40 ounces, and balances OK with no lead.

If you are using a 2200 3S it may weigh about 6 ounces; As I may have told you, I use two smaller batteries side by side right at the front of the 'cockpit' - their combined weight is 6.8 ounces, and they are RIGHT up front. That might make some of the cg difference between our aircraft, other than the weight if the motor (mine is a Chinese RC1200, weighs < 2 ounces, and the 30A ESC weighs 1.5 ounces.) However, I don't have a steering servo (yet).

(No progress with the xenons yet - flying my Electristar with cheap video cameras today, not altogether successful - I just finished with the glue and small replacement parts. Still beats going to work.)

Regards...Chris
Old 03-08-2009, 11:03 PM
lejongleur

Junkjet - I am using a Spektrum AR6200 2.4GHz 6-channel receiver in my Predator. The main receiver sits right in front of the servos, and the remote receiver is behind the servos, in the main hull of the aircraft. You could just as easily use an AR6100 or AR6100E receiver, unless you plan to fly out more than 1000 feet or so (in which case, you will be lucky to be able to see your stealthy Predator.)

Hope this helps...Chris
Old 03-09-2009, 04:35 AM
MrWinchell

Well done. You guy helped me decide to go with my gut and purchase the Predator RQ-1B. I do not know what it is about this aircraft but I can not resist its charm.
I should have my kit in the mail soon. I plan on taking all the info and great user designed upgrades into consideration on my build. Please join me in knocking on the balsa wood for good luck. I will post my progress and pics as I go. Thanks again for the push in the right direction. [8D]

Old 03-09-2009, 04:56 AM
MrWinchell

I will be using the AR6200 with the spektrum DX6I. A Venom 975kv outboard running on an Exceed Volcano 30a ESC and JR 9 gram micro servos.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:21 AM
CaptainRandy

Mr Winchell,

Congrats, and don't forget to post some pics of your Predator.

Chris,

Thanks for the info. I guess I just have to add a tiny bit of lead to achieve the cg that I am shooting for. I am trying to get it at 2 1/4" back from the LE. Where is your CG. I like my planes a bit nose heavy from that point. I hate to maiden a new (heavy plane) that is also tail heavy. I am coming in 11 oz. over the Flying weight on the box. I have a small carbon rod sticking out the front that I am using to secure the hatch. I was thinking of sliding a small egg sinker on that to keep the oz way out front. Might even make people ask what is that for?

Had to add two more oz of lead in the nose, but now she is slightly nose heavy. Me Likely nose heavy. Ready to maiden when I get a new 9 X 6 prop

My Rubber Band wing attachment looks good. No magnets or bolts to deal with. I put two small carbon rods through the wing, so they protrude out the top and bottom a little. More on the bottom, and I put them on a slight angle to prevent the bands from possibly slipping off, which they probably wouldn't, just me being anal AGAIN

Name:	Sq47723.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	1153649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29837.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	1153650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34829.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1153651  
Old 03-12-2009, 03:21 PM
opus444

Hi guys. I've been reading this thread the last few days because I just purchased this ARF from NITROPLANES now that they have it on sale. $74.00 shipped!!!! The other reason I'm ordering this kit other than it's freaking cool is I have all the electronics at home that I need for it. I flew a lot of electrics when I lived in AZ. Now I live in SW Kansas and fly more nitro due to the windy days.

After all the reading I've done on this thread I have yet to see somebody put a brushless inrunner on a gear box on this plane. I know that outrunners are the way to go anymore for applications like this, but I have a e-flight park 400 inrunner on a gearbox that I would like to put on this aircraft. Looks like there's enough room back there for it.

So does anybody know of putting a park 400 inrunner on a gearbox on the back of this plane?? What do you think??

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:21 AM
MrWinchell

Well um ok... the venom outrunner I purchased met the electrical specs but not the phisical specs. Its kinda large! oops I guess this will be a motor for a future project. Well this sets me back a week or so since I need to order a new motor. Man I feel dumb.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:45 PM
opus444

Sorry to hear about the motor MrWinchell. It's always good to have a motor hanging around for a new project. I'm a bit worried now about fitting my inrunner & MPI gearbox in the back of this thing. I know with the right gearing I will meet the planes power specs no problem. Infact it will be a little over powered I believe. My plane was shipped on Friday so it should be here by Wed. of this week. I can't wait to start the build.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:18 PM
darren green

hello all,
great plane and of course i want one,but i live in the uk.so does anybody know how i can get one of these planes.

thanks
darren mark green
Old 03-19-2009, 02:28 PM
CaptainRandy

Did you try here?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/4eluavrqprra.html
Old 03-19-2009, 06:16 PM
darren green

Hello again,thanks for the reply.
I require a uk supplier or a supplier that will ship to the uk,nitoplanes will not send large planes (anything above size 25 outside the us)
look forward to any more replys about this subject.

Thanks
DARREN MARK GREEN
Old 03-19-2009, 09:57 PM
lejongleur

There are some other guys on this thread from England who have these models - if you take a look back you will find them - try PM'ing them for info.

Hope this helps...Chris
Old 03-20-2009, 10:36 AM
CaptainRandy

Predator Maiden Flight by capt. Pappy

The Predator flew Great! I was very nervous, but I got her up to speed, and just hit a tad of up elevator and she jumped off the ground. Almost to much, but I immediately give her some down, and she flew out real nice. She did need some down trim, but that's OK.
It responded nicely to all inputs, and the landing was real smooth, except the nose wheel turned on the shaft. I have to file a flat spot on the shaft so I can tighten the collar better. I was very happy to bring her home in one piece.

The rubber band wing attachment worked fine. No sign of any movement at all. Very easy to remove the wing for transport.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:17 AM
lejongleur

Congratulations Randy! Other than the nose gear adjustments, what are your next anticipated mods?
Old 03-20-2009, 11:38 AM
CaptainRandy

A spy camera of course

First I need to get a few more flights under my belt.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:18 PM
mikesan

The Predator is available in the UK from www giantcod.co.uk all prices here very good

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.