Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

E Flite Eratix 3D 25e ARF Owners Club

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

E Flite Eratix 3D 25e ARF Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 02:12 PM
bart4u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E Flite Eratix 3D 25e ARF Owners Club

In my opinion just stay away from Turnigy high rated ESC's when using anything with a 4 cell and above. Its not worth losing your plane. You always have to tinker with the Turnigy and its programing and timing. I did that with mine, I programed it to their instructions with the correct peeps, tones and stick placement and it still did not work right and besides their motor was bad too. I just went with the Eflite 32 and their 60 ESC and it worked fine. It cost more but I had piece of mind.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jzrf6c,

The ESC wont work at all until the throttle is calibrated which I had already done.

bart4u,

I know what you mean about the TURNIGY ESC. The Hyperion motor works great but the TURNIGY stuff will have to go for my next one.

I got to maiden my Eratix today and man does this thing fly good. I'm not much of a 3D flyer and I got this plane to try and hone my skills a little better. I mostly fly giant scale and it's a little different going down to such a small light weight plane. The wind was at 10 mph and a slight cross wind to boot and the Eratix did just fine. I could hold it in the wind and it would stop. It would fly backwards but it was a ball to fly. I let my buddy fly it who is more into 3D than I am and he was pretty impressed. He did some pretty cool stuff with it. I'm running an APC 13X6.5E prop, wonder how a 14X4E would do? Anyone running the 14X4E ?

Old 09-13-2010, 06:44 PM
gasayers

Congradulations zippy.
Have a few flights on mine now and they are a great flier.

Cheers
Old 09-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Zippi

Well I popped the landing gear off today. Not that bad of a landing on the concrete runway but like someone had said, it wont take much. Looks like a simlple fix and should have it back in the air shortly. I tryed an APC 14X7E prop and I'm now getting 1075 watts pulling 70 amps. I haven't had it in the air with this prop yet.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:39 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I fly mine with a 14X7E prop. Lots of power when needed.
I reinforced the landing gear when assembling the Eratix. So far, it has survived a few rough grass landings on windy days.
I just glued a 2" piece of thin plywood at the bottom of the fuselage and mounted the landing gear on top. It's really strong now.
The only problem I see is if there is a very rough landing it is possible the fuselage will break in half and the landing gear will still be attached.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:38 PM
50mph

I have been flying my Erarix for over 2 years and never had a problem with the landing gear, the plane lands so easy and smooth. But as with most E Flite Models, the landing gear needs to be re inforced, I have added more tuffness to all my E Flite models.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:21 PM
bob m2

I have several hundreds of flights/landings from grass and pavement with no landing gear failures by using 1/8 music wire. See this thread post number 138 and it's link. The wire gear soaks up the stress unlike the stock gear which only transfers the stress to the fuselage.

Bob
Old 10-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Zippi

When my gear popped loose it never came off it had just broke loose from the fuse a little. Once I epoxied it back on I havn't had any issues. I guess if I would have read this thread prior to flying it wouldn't have came off. The plane is just so fun and for my first attempt at 3D it is working out great. Going for the Precision Aerobatics Addiction X next. We'll see how the two compare.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:44 AM
Homer712
My Feedback: (17)

OK, so it's been almost a year since anyone has posted to this thread...let's see if anyone is still following.

I purchased my Eratix about a month ago (have always flown glow power). What an incredible airplane! As others have posted, makes me look like I really know what I'm doing. A real pleasure to fly. There may actually be something to the whole "electric" thing.

Here's my question. I started out with an E-flite Power 25, their 60A ESC, a 14x7 prop and a Turnigy 5000mAh, 3S battery. Flew great, decent power, but after about a dozen flights I was eager for a bit more speed. Went to my LHS and purchased an E-flite Power 32. Tried this combination with both the 14x7 prop as well as a 13x6.5 prop. Not much (if any) difference. For a moment I thought it may have actually gotten slower.

Yesterday I ordered two 4000mAh, 4S batteries from Hobby Partz hoping that will make the difference I'm looking for, but just in case I'd also like some advice on programming the E-flite 60A ESC. The only thing that I think will make much difference is the timing. For those of you that are using the E-flite ESC with either the Power 25 or 32 motor, what timing have you programmed? Default is 15. Going up the options are only 20 and 25.

Anyone?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:13 AM
jmir

The Power 32 motor runs around 800 watts, so you have to have a battery that handles that much power. So, if the maximum power that the battery can deliver is 500 watts, then your Power 32 will not run at its maximum. Hopes this makes sense.

Whenever I want to do lots of hovering, I use a small, 3 cell, 1800mah battery with a 40-50C rating. It delivers all the power I need to hover and do harriers over the field. The battery lasts about 8 minutes. The rest of the time, I use a 4 cell, 2500 mah with a 30C rating which gives plenty of power to do anything I want.

The batteries you mention are quite heavy compared to the small batteries I'm using.

I've been flying the Eratix ever since they came out several years ago. I'm on my third one (the other two are in airplane heaven).

Hope this helps you out.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:04 AM
jzrf6c

I've been using the 4000mah 4 cells with my Eratix. The 4 cell gives more RPMs than the three cell. I also have the Power 32. Be carefull of the speed. On a downline dive from about 300 feet the left wing exploded as the aileron ripped off. I was able to come around and land (to my surprise). I just finished rebuilding the wing ( took a week to match the covering HWD). I flew it and it was just as good as new.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:14 AM
netdudeuk

I flew mine with an APC 14x7e on 4000 4S 20C packs and the power was more than plenty. Unlimited verticals.

I don’t think that you will need to adjust the timing for this motor.

With regards to what your 4S batteries can deliver, I cannot imagine that they’re less that 20C rated so they should be able to deliver at least 80 amps which is far higher than the motor and ESC ratings.

The additional weight that you may be carrying is insignificant. Mine just glided in at a very low speed. Yours will do the same.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:18 AM
IdeaBeing

ORIGINAL: Homer712

OK, so it's been almost a year since anyone has posted to this thread...let's see if anyone is still following.

I purchased my Eratix about a month ago (have always flown glow power). What an incredible airplane! As others have posted, makes me look like I really know what I'm doing. A real pleasure to fly. There may actually be something to the whole ''electric'' thing.

Here's my question. I started out with an E-flite Power 25, their 60A ESC, a 14x7 prop and a Turnigy 5000mAh, 3S battery. Flew great, decent power, but after about a dozen flights I was eager for a bit more speed. Went to my LHS and purchased an E-flite Power 32. Tried this combination with both the 14x7 prop as well as a 13x6.5 prop. Not much (if any) difference. For a moment I thought it may have actually gotten slower.

Yesterday I ordered two 4000mAh, 4S batteries from Hobby Partz hoping that will make the difference I'm looking for, but just in case I'd also like some advice on programming the E-flite 60A ESC. The only thing that I think will make much difference is the timing. For those of you that are using the E-flite ESC with either the Power 25 or 32 motor, what timing have you programmed? Default is 15. Going up the options are only 20 and 25.

Anyone?
If you are looking for speed, find another plane. The constant chord wing combined with the thick aerofoil is very draggy. Also, the ailerons are MASSIVE and susceptible to catastrophic flutter.

By pushing the Eratix's speed envelope, you are inviting a midair disintegration event. as it is lightly built.

The great thing about this plane is how SLOW it can fly and still maintain full authority. It just wafts effortlessly down the runway in high alpha at literally a walking pace and spot landings are effortless. This plane really makes me look SO much better than I actually am.

just my 2 cents

Old 09-23-2011, 11:07 AM
jmir

IdeaBeing is right. The Eratix is a great slow flyer. Unless you reinforce the ailerons, you are looking for trouble with aileron flutters and wing damage at high speed.
It's the closest thing to a "3D trainer" that I know of. Great hovering, harrier and knife edge capabilities. Great flat spins also with some practice.
I never get bored with this plane.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Homer712
My Feedback: (17)

Guys, thanks for the replies. Much appreciated!

I guess that when I stated that I was looking for a "bit more speed" I should have included the disclaimer that my currently favorite plane to fly is a H9 Toledo Special and I fly it with an Evolution 46 glow. That should put into perspective what I mean when I say that I'm looking for a bit more speed out of the Eratix. In any event, the Eratix flew great with the 4S/4000mAh batteries from Hobby Partz. Just ordered two additional, identical batteries so I'll have four flights worth with me each trip to the field.

Again, thanks for the advice and safe flying.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

anyone flying this plane with a PA package? I'm thinking of using the touque 2818/900 on 3s 2200 packs. I don't need a rocket, just some good flying. This setup works great on the PA katana. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:06 PM
DesertClimber

Default Any Eratix Planes out there?

I'm trying to find another Eratix ARF. Either a complete plane, airframe only, or a NIB ARF kit.

Any out there for sale?

Thanks!