Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

First experience with electric - Mini Ultra Stick

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

First experience with electric - Mini Ultra Stick

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Denjones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First experience with electric - Mini Ultra Stick

I recently decided to switch from glow to electric so I could fly at the school behind my house. I read the reviews here on the forum and bought a Mini Ultra Stick (I have a .40 glow size US), a Eflite 480, 2100mha batter, four Hitec H-55 servos, Hitec receiver and an eflite 40a ESC.

My initial observation was that I had bought the ultimate electric flyer. When I opened up the box, it looked fantastic. That's where the euphoria ended.

The tail skid fell off in my hand. I had read where that happens to most after the first flight and have decided to add a Dubro .40 size tail wheel kit.

When I got ready to install the control rods for the elevator and rudder, it because impossible because they were damaged when they were cut. I couldn't get the rod thru the tube and had to take the tubes out. It's almost impossible to get the tubes back into the plane once it's covered so currently, they are sitting out.

I got ready to install the outrunner and noticed that motor backplate conflicts with the existing locations for the blind nuts. The instructions call for you to install the blind nuts in the correct firewall and then says to refer to the motor's instructions which then conflict with the blind nuts which you just installed. I had to remove those blind nuts and drill new holes to accomodate the motor's back plate.

I haven't installed the receiver, ESC or battery because I would like to easily have the battery removed for charging, a switch for turning off the plane like my glow planes and use Dean's Ultra PLugs.

At this point, I'm frusterated because it has taken me several hours over several days to finish the plane and it seem like I have quite a bit to go before it's in the air.

Can anyone offer suggestions that would help me get this first electric in the air?

Thanks so much,

Denny
Davison, MI
Old 08-13-2007, 02:29 PM
patnchris

Default RE: First experience with electric - Mini Ultra Stick

The motor mount on the MUS is set for the recommended Park 450.....The Park 480 requires modicication. You're correct about the tail skid. I epoxied mine on and have never had a problem since. As far as the control horns, I didn't have a problem. My tubes were pinched slightly in the outside end but I ran a small dill bit in the end and cleaned it up. I do not believe that the wires are strong enough to function correctly without the support of the tiubes....
Old 08-13-2007, 02:35 PM
patnchris

The ESC and the battery both go in under the forward hatch. Very easy to remove and install the battery. forget the switch idea. The electric motors draw too much current for the little switch....Just unplug the battery
Old 08-13-2007, 07:24 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I cheated! I bought the PNP version.
Everything came installed. All I had to do was install wing, elevator/rudder and landing gear in addition to installing the receiver and battery. Took hardly any time and everything worked great.

I guess laziness helps sometimes!

Old 08-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Denjones

Thanks for you moral support. I guess I'm going to have to try harder at getting the push rod tubes into the fuse, get the connectors for the battery and ESC, buy a tail wheel kit and finish it up.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:03 AM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: Denjones

My initial observation was that I had bought the ultimate electric flyer.
Actually, you have. You just need a little guidance.

The tail skid fell off in my hand.
They do that. Here's the fix, but if you have the patience to get the tailwheel workikng, that's a much better option................

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537933

When I got ready to install the control rods for the elevator and rudder, it because impossible because they were damaged when they were cut.
E flite put out a technical bulliten awhile back that warned about this. They recommended using a hobby knife to open up the pushrod tubes where they come inside the radio compartment, right where they are cut.

I couldn't get the rod thru the tube and had to take the tubes out. It's almost impossible to get the tubes back into the plane once it's covered so currently, they are sitting out.
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, you might be in trouble now. I don't know how you will ever get those things back in. I suggest you call Horizon and see if they will send you a replacement fuselage. They are really good about taking care of the customers.

I got ready to install the outrunner and noticed that motor backplate conflicts with the existing locations for the blind nuts.
Here's the fix.............................

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705664

At this point, I'm frusterated because it has taken me several hours over several days to finish the plane and it seem like I have quite a bit to go before it's in the air.
Don't give up on it. Even if you have to buy a new fuse, this is a darling little airplane, especially with the 480 motor.

Can anyone offer suggestions that would help me get this first electric in the air?
Keep your eyes open for my article "Secrets of the Mini Ultra Stick." When that comes out, everything I know from flying this plane for two years will be revealed.

For now, though, this is why you don't want to give up on the Mini...........................

http://www.adchobbystore.com/pics-vids7.htm

Old 08-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Huntermd14

The MUS with the 480 is an awesome plane. I mounted the motor using the inside holes of the firewall directly onto the motor not using the x-mount at all. I have had no problems from this way, and my friend mounted the 480 on the inside of the fuse using the inside holes also.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:50 AM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

If you're going to install a tail wheel, be sure and get a light one. I got a micro tail wheel from my LHS and it fits perfectly. You don't want to add a lot of tail weight to this plane.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:17 PM
wedgewing

sorry to hear about the trouble you had. I am on my second MUS and love them. One of the other posters hit on the engine mounting concern, but I also fly a 480 and was unable to mount it using the plate so I have it bolted on the outside just using the mounts on the back of the engine and no mounting plate. I guess it will pass muster because I have flown it almost daily with no issues. looks clean as well

Hopefully you called Horizon and they replaced your fus. It is a great plane with a nice little growl as it passes by using the 480. enjoy
Old 09-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Denjones

Tonight was the maiden flight and I really appreciate all of the helpful ideas that has been shared with me thus far. I finished the plane with a little help from the LHS. I decided to just glue on the old tail skid and once I got the radio programmed, I decided to head off to the school behind my house where the soccer fields are located. I placed the plane on the ground and slowly pushed the throttle forward. I soon found out that the wheels are too small for the longer grass because the plane just tipped over. I even tried to push it thru the grass and it wouldn't get off the ground.

I took it over to the paved track and it rolled to a smooth take off but I soon found out what you guys have been talking about! Man, it can move and maneuver. My instincts told me to bring it in for a landing but the exhilaration of flying was vastly superior to my thinking and I tried to land it in the grass!

YUP, the nylon screws that supported the landing gear broke but the plane survived without any other damage.

I'm pumped and excited.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, ideas and encouragement.

Denny Jones
Davison, MI
Old 09-13-2007, 09:42 PM
fstevenj

I am looking at this being my first electric. How much room do you need to fly this?

I have flown the Kadet LT40, Sig 4* 40, and the Ultra sport 40+. Would it make a good first electric for me.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:11 AM
Denjones

I have three soccer fields behind my house and although this is a smaller electric than my US 40 glow, I'd like a bigger area to really open it up and see how it would perform. It will fly slow and low but that defeats the purpose of having a "stupidly crazy" overbuild. Make no mistake, this electric will fly circles around most .40 size glow planes.

Bottom line, if you don't have enough space to fly a glow, you won't fully appreciate this model.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:03 PM
wedgewing

Find a good size area similar to the one mentioned. if you are a first time flyer of the MUS, it took me a lot less space to auger it in on my first flight. I now fly it out of my back yard and land it in an area less than 20 yards. I have had it for 2 years (two of them) and have never taken them off the ground. with the 480 on board and 3/4 power it essentially leaps out of my hand after a soft forward toss, no worries. Just spent the last hour (3 batteries) cruising the neighborhood at altitude and making the kids laugh. some good wind today and I have flaps and use a DX7 (yes, I have gone nuts) and have popped a few nylon screws on some crab landings today in the wind. Would be out there now if I had more batteries.

It took me a year or so before I could fly this dragster slow, as I had added Newbie-Nose weight for a little more stable flight. Pretty neutral on the balance so it lands very nicely and ambles around slowly when you manage the throttle and elevator.

Enjoy the small spaces