Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: E-flite Taylorcraft

Thanks Rallison. I've flown my uncles 60 size cub about 50 times within a matter of 8 days so i have experience with landind and am pretty smooth with it to, of course its a heavier plane so bounce is easier to avoid. I was just curious as to what to expect for the first flight, well actually second, my uncles taking the maiden flight to trim her out and make sure everything is good. I used all e-flite and spectrum equipment so i have a pretty good amount of money invested in it and dont want to screw that up.

Thanks again.

And sorry for makind this page ginormously wide, my falt.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What floats did you use on your TaylorCraft 450. I fly at Lake Lanier in Ga and go electric there because it is easier to transport on my pontoon boat. I fly nitro at the field. I love flying off the water.

ekfinch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For Jaybird's floats, see post #155 back on page 5. 25" long FoamFloat.com units with light low heat covering.

The problem is they are not in business anymore. Others have found other manufacturers that work and you'll have to look have on the pages.

Jaybird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have over 100 flights on my TC and it is by far my favorite plane. Just a few items to make it a bit tougher: I used light ply to reinforce the battery tray. After about 20 times of installing/removing the battery, the tray cracked. Also the motor mount/firewall area is the main failure point. It will break on a fairly minor prop strike. So my fix was to reinforce the firewall with ply and to sheet one side of the motor mount with light ply. This takes the twisting action out of the mount/firewall when you have a prop strike. Unless you are flying off asphalt, toss the wheel pants in the drawer, as they get ripped off in taller grass and soccer fields etc.. I swapped out the little tires with 2.5 diameter tires and this keeps the plane from nosing over on grass landings, also looks like an Alaskan bush plane. I run the Park 480 motor, e-flight 40 amp esc, hs-65 servos, AR6000 RX and FP 2100 MAH 3S. I have the lipo within .250 inch from the firewall and the plane flys great. I buzz it 5 feet off the deck inverted and it handles great. I finally destroyed it a couple of weeks ago when an EZ link on the elevator came loose during a deep loop and stuffed the plane gear first. I am waiting for a new kit. I may buy 2 kits and dedicate one for float flying. Just haven't found a good float kit for this plane yet. Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just stopping in to add a couple of pics from this weekend's flying. I rully rully like how this plane looks and flies...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz79487.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	1018053   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb90039.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	1018054  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys got my TaylorCraft finish a flew the first flight 2 weeks ago and man i have to say this is my first plane and it flies great. No dissapointment at all. Im flying with 3 inch wheels, looks a little wierd but hey it works and thats what i had.

Those are great pictures rallison. Do you fly with that wood prop if so what size is it. The recommended 12x6 apc props r to big for grass i had like a 1/4 inch of clearance with the giant wheels so im usig a 11x7.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: r/cheliman

Hey guys got my TaylorCraft finish a flew the first flight 2 weeks ago and man i have to say this is my first plane and it flies great. No dissapointment at all. Im flying with 3 inch wheels, looks a little wierd but hey it works and thats what i had.

Those are great pictures rallison. Do you fly with that wood prop if so what size is it. The recommended 12x6 apc props r to big for grass i had like a 1/4 inch of clearance with the giant wheels so im usig a 11x7.
    r/c,

Congratulations on your first plane! I agree about how it flies. And those big wheels are a help on landing, I'm sure.

Thanks for the compliment on the pics; I credit the plane for how they turned out, as I'm no shutterbug.

Yes, I've been flying with that prop for the last couple of weeks. It's a 10x6 Zinger prop. I've flown with 10x5E APC-style and with a Master Airscrew 10x7. The APC-style electric prop was quieter and more efficient, but I like the wood prop for its looks... now I have to find a prop nut to give it the finishing touch.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am thinking about a Taylorcraft and have two questions.
    1) I am not sure if I can get it in to my car without removing the wing. How difficult is it to remove and re-instal the wing.
    2) How is it for aerobics. 480 motor? Clipped wings? what iis the clipped wingspan?
    James

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It has such a small wingspan, and would probably fit into a yugo The wing comes off in less than 30 seconds, two 4-40 cap screws and unplug your ail servos and that's it. It is a great flying plane. Mine had the 480 motor and was a blast to fly. Flys very vell inverted and does basic aerobatics well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: James Porter

I am thinking about a Taylorcraft and have two questions.
    1) I am not sure if I can get it in to my car without removing the wing. How difficult is it to remove and re-instal the wing.
    2) How is it for aerobics. 480 motor? Clipped wings? what iis the clipped wingspan?

The wingspan is 46"; the plane is 36" long. It'll fit into most trunks/cargo areas without unbolting the wing.

I'm using a 450 equivalent and as noted in the previous post it is definitely aerobatic. That's one of the things I like about this plane; nice scale flyer at low throttle, but capable of some very spirited flying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, finally got my replacement TC today. Gonna swap out the electronics from the wrecked one and get a set of Commander floats for it. It's back to having fun with this great flyer! Anyone ever put a power 15 motor in one? I was running my last one on a park 480 and it was a blast.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rallison

I'm using a Turnigy 2217 1050KV brushless outrunner and Plush 25A ESC, spinning a 10x5 e-prop, with power from a Zippy 2200 mAh 3S1P 20C, zero modifications were needed to make that equipment work, and I am delighted with the performance of this set-up.
    The other morning I put her up to about 100 ft. and throttled back to 50% to see how long it would fly before the cell protection limit (set to medium on the 25A Plush) kicked in. There was a 5 or 6 MPH wind, and there were no thermals. I circled and did figure eights. I got 27 minutes out of that set-up. Amazing!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys,

E-Flite recommends a 6-channel receiver in the manual for the T-craft but makes absolutely no use of channels 5 and 6 in their radio setup (aileron servos are intended to be Y-harnessed together). I fly Futaba and have a R114F 4-channel micro receiver lying around which I was planning on using for the plane, however I'm now considering buying Futaba's new 6-channel micro Rx (the R156F) to use instead. This would of course allow me to setup up flaperons and mixing functions through my comp radio. But first, a few questions for you guys:

1.) Any experience flying the plane with flaperons setup? Is it really worth upgrading to the 6-channel rx or will my current 4-channel rx be sufficient? Any other positives to the 6-ch setup that I am overlooking? Let me know what you think, I obviously don't want to purchase more equipment if I don't really need to...

2.) Why the heck does E-flite recommend using a 6-ch rx if they don't even describe setting up the plane for 6-channel use in the manual? This makes me think that they are either a.) greedy and want customers to buy the more expensive rx or b.) there are problems with a 4-ch setup. Please help me out here.

3.) Is there any problems that you guys foresee with me using the 4-ch R114F? Let me know.

Oh and one more thing....

4.) I'm new to park flyers/models requiring micro servos and rx and saw that the range on the R114F (specs from www.towerhobbies.com) is 650 feet (the range on the 6-ch R156F is in fact worse at 500 ft). Obviously these ranges are much diminished from full-sized receivers. Will these ranges be sufficient for flying this airplane? Don't know if this matters but I'm also still flying 72MHz...

Thanks a lot!

Erik

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: skulboep

Hey guys,

E-Flite recommends a 6-channel receiver in the manual for the T-craft but makes absolutely no use of channels 5 and 6 in their radio setup (aileron servos are intended to be Y-harnessed together). I fly Futaba and have a R114F 4-channel micro receiver lying around which I was planning on using for the plane, however I'm now considering buying Futaba's new 6-channel micro Rx (the R156F) to use instead. This would of course allow me to setup up flaperons and mixing functions through my comp radio. But first, a few questions for you guys:

1.) Any experience flying the plane with flaperons setup? Is it really worth upgrading to the 6-channel rx or will my current 4-channel rx be sufficient? Any other positives to the 6-ch setup that I am overlooking? Let me know what you think, I obviously don't want to purchase more equipment if I don't really need to...

2.) Why the heck does E-flite recommend using a 6-ch rx if they don't even describe setting up the plane for 6-channel use in the manual? This makes me think that they are either a.) greedy and want customers to buy the more expensive rx or b.) there are problems with a 4-ch setup. Please help me out here.

3.) Is there any problems that you guys foresee with me using the 4-ch R114F? Let me know.

Oh and one more thing....

4.) I'm new to park flyers/models requiring micro servos and rx and saw that the range on the R114F (specs from www.towerhobbies.com) is 650 feet (the range on the 6-ch R156F is in fact worse at 500 ft). Obviously these ranges are much diminished from full-sized receivers. Will these ranges be sufficient for flying this airplane? Don't know if this matters but I'm also still flying 72MHz...

Thanks a lot!

Erik
    Skulboep,

1) I haven't tried flaperons on the TC450 myself; but more experienced folks on this thread and other forums have recommended against them. It's a very light model, and lands fairly slowly as is, so many say that it's not worth the reduced control (especially in a crosswind) to slow it down even more.

2) Four channels is really all you need. I don't know if I'd call E-Flite greedy, but certainly they (like any business) are out to maximize their income by selling higher-ticket items. Looking at it in a positive light, perhaps they think it best to equip their customers to have the option to add functions 5 & 6. But you only need 4. BTW, they recommend some travel control and exponential settings, so if your 4-ch. can't, that might be reason enough to get a 6if that's what gives you those programming capabilities. I flew my first few without exponential settings, and had no issues.

3) I'm not familliar with the RF114, so will defer to others' advice on this point.

4). Hmmm. 650 is pretty much two footbal fields' length. This is a big enough parkflyer that you could fly at that distance or beyond and still see the plane well enough to control attitude. So I think you'd be doing yourself a favor to get a setup that will exceed that range. Either that or make sure your fail-safe positions (if supported by your radio) will put your plane into a wide and gently descending circle...

Of course, you should keep in mind this advice is coming from an enthusiastic beginner, and is worth exactly what you paid to get it. ;-)

Regards & happy flying!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks like E-Flite has increased both the price and the size:

http://www.barnstormers.com/listing.php?id=275850

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can we put a radio and servos in that? LOL thats a nice plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello

The aircraft looks amazing and the price has dropped here in Switzerland recently. How would you rate this aircraft for a beginner? I have like 10hrs flight experience. I got a foamie Wilga and it flies really nice. But motor mount is a bit crap. Since the aircraft tends to fall on the nose when landing on grass, the cowl and the motor mount, since too soft plastic, breaks. Thats why i was thinking about a wooden, more standard aircraft for which i don't need to buy expensive plastic parts.

My hobby store recommended the e-flite beaver. But IMHO its to large.

Thanks for some feedback.

Cheers
    Martin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MartinMu

Hello

The aircraft looks amazing and the price has dropped here in Switzerland recently. How would you rate this aircraft for a beginner? I have like 10hrs flight experience. I got a foamie Wilga and it flies really nice. But motor mount is a bit crap. Since the aircraft tends to fall on the nose when landing on grass, the cowl and the motor mount, since too soft plastic, breaks. Thats why i was thinking about a wooden, more standard aircraft for which i don't need to buy expensive plastic parts.

My hobby store recommended the e-flite beaver. But IMHO its to large.

Thanks for some feedback.

Cheers
    Martin
    Martin,

If you have 10 hours' flight experience on a tail-dragger I think you would find the TC450 easy to handle. If you're landing on grass, you'll probably want to skleave off the wheel pants and possibly use slightly larger foam wheels on the main gear.

My TC450 is my second plane, and I had a similar level of experience (on an Art-Tech WingDragon 4) when I maidened her; I found the TC450 much easier to fly. I've got more than 30 flights in since, no issues with the plane.

Good luck,

- Rick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A short video today 8:00AM

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UEi5c_6ow_0

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's my TC maiden on floats. Popped right off the water and flew great. I'm still dialing it in. Much thanks to Charlie for the float mounting tips.

http://www.soaringunionoflosangeles....ftonFloats.wmv

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yesterday was a perfect temperature to fly.
    Here is a short video of my taylorcraft ARF 480 BL 1020 Kv
    ESC 40 Amp E-Flite
    Servos: s75 E-Flite
    Prop: 10x5 E-Flite
    Battery: thunderpower 2200 map
    Pilot: Snoopy

My best plane!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=JvSTuBpZPPg

http://vimeo.com/2212880?pg=embed&sec=2212880

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo39409.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	1063884  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was wondering what the smallest field you guys are flying the taylorcraft in. I fly in a large soccer sized park. I was hoping to fly the T-craft at the park and not at the RC flying field. Also, what servos are you guys using?? Thanks for your help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: r/c nut

I was wondering what the smallest field you guys are flying the taylorcraft in. I fly in a large soccer sized park. I was hoping to fly the T-craft at the park and not at the RC flying field. Also, what servos are you guys using?? Thanks for your help.

I have flown this plane off a baseball diamond and the football field. I was running HS65HB servos in mine. They are a bit tougher than the HS55. If you fly it off grass, get rid of the wheel pants and run a 2.75 inch dia foam tire. Looks like a bush plane and rolls out great on grass.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool, it sounds like I can fly this at the park instead of the RC field. Thanks for your help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just got a taylorcraft and thought I would subscribe to this thread. Bought mine off the cieling of a LHS with reciever, servos, a 480, and 40a ESC for $175 so couldnt pass it up..
    Scott
    Fort Worth Thunderbirds
    -Vision 50, Raptor 30, EXI 450SE CF
    -ExtremeFlight Yak

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast