Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

E-flite Taylorcraft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: E-flite Taylorcraft

Saw this on the Eflite website, it looks stunning. Will be very interested to hear how it flies, not to mention pricing in Australia. It almost looks too good to fly[X(]
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah,It really does look nice to me, I love the Taylorcraft and this is a nice copy for a small elect arf. I placed my b/o a few minutes ago. I almost purchased the mini pulse ,saw the Taylorcraft and couldnt resist. Of course the B/O eta is early Dec. ( be lucky to see it this year!!) If it is as nice as the mini pulse it will be worth the wait and a definate keeper.

Later ,
    Bill
    . . . . ...........> > >>>geaRUP! >>>>>>>>>>>
    Later!
    Bielle, ( Saito Club # 108 )

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Guys,
    Picked up my Taylorcraft today from the LHS. 90 bucks what a deal. Anyway I opened the box and everthing looked fantastic. All surfaces are hinged and all craftsmanship looks excellant. Anyone intrested in keeping this thread going for a build/flying thread?

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

pics please!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Picked mine up at the LHS at noon today. Gorgeous airplane and very well done. I've been looking through the instructions until I can get to the box after work. Design looks good but I'm curoius to see how they expect the battery to stay in place. The instructions say to remove the magnetic hatch (between the cowling the the landing gear on the bottom) and insert a battery with the velcro loop. The picture is unclear as to how it stays there. I've recently completed the E-Flite P-38 and I'm very happy with that even though it's all foam. Installing the servo extension wires and power leads was tough, but this Taylorcraft should be easy. Nice big fuselage and lots of room. can't wait to build!

I plan to use an E-flite 450 outrunner brushless motor with their 10 x 8 prop with a 3-cell 2100 Li-Po pack. I'd like slighty larger diameter wheels as I fly off of grass a lot and it looks like there are some that might fit the axle bolt and wheel pants. Other than that it looks pretty straight forward.

Jay

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Keep the thread going,I was thinking of getting one.Pics would be great!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Taylorcraft was shipped yesterday and I am looking forward to getting it set up. I'm going the same route as Jaybird with the 450 outrunner brushless motor ,10 x 8 prop with a 3-cell 2200 Li-Po pack. My ESC is a Castle Thunderbird 54. Since our field is grass, larger wheels will probably be installed too.
    So we will be following the thread ( soon to be the "Official Taylorcraft Thread?'! ) and looking for some pics !!

later
    . . . . ...........> > >>>geaRUP! >>>>>>>>>>>
    Later!
    Bielle, ( Saito Club # 108 )

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK I have one of these almost ready to fly so let me share my impressions with you. I own a hobby shop in Van Buren Arkansas and I call it research and testing but fact is I can't resist a nice new plane. This is certainly one of the most attractive electric planes that Eflite has produced and I am very pleased with all of the Eflite planes I have built and flown. Now to the specifics.

I definitely give it a 10 for appearance and overall effect. The covering is a cream with dark red trim and it even has a rudimentary interior.

For the construction and building I give it a good 9. Here are the nitty grittys.

1. Everything fits well and construction is easy. There is a slight misfit in the overhead window, about a half a hole too narrow.
    2. The color match on the cowl is not exact but is close. The cowl is a few shades darker than the rest of the covering trim, not bad but not perfect. Needs about 3 ounces of white to the gallon of paint to be spot on.
    3. The holes in the back wing reinforcement were about 1/4 a hole off and had to be opened with a drill. The blind nuts for the wing mount were slightly tilted and had to be corrected.
    4. Covering on the wing had to be tightened and be careful or you'll ruin the trim if it shrinks back.

Everything else was just about perfect. The fuselage is very wide and you can get your hands in there to work on it. Winshield and side windows were very nice.

I have one more of these left in my shop. I used an Eflite 450, 20 amp ESC and DX6 radio.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx72193.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	808206   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lh18464.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	808207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr39933.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	808208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pj18926.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	808209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vg54344.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	808210  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pf60093.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	808211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Su36867.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	808212  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I only got as far as taking the parts out of the box and doing a quick "dry fit" of all the major parts. Everything looked great coming out of the box and seemed well packed. there was no shipping damage and everything was there. It has a generous parts and hardware kit and literally just needs a power and radio system added. My observations are that the covering was amazingly tight and wrinkle free. The thin trim strip on one side had started to come undone where it tapers to a point. All the control surfaces are pre-hinged and pre-glued. The stab and rudder look good and have a close joint. The ailerons in my kit are very stiff which will be better once they have been flexed a few times but one has a lot of glue in the bevel joint and will have to be cleaned out. Upward movement of both ailerons is limited by the glue and tight joint. The battery mounting still seems pretty vague and I made build up some giudes once the balance point is established. I unbagged everything and put it together as much as I could and in a few minutes had a nice looking plane in front of me.

tlrascal has pretty much shown you the finished product and has great pictures. I have a few pictures as it comes out of the box and quick assembly. I can't wait to actually build (assemble) this nice little plane.

Name:	Bz77023.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	808592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn42229.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	808593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va70924.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	808594  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am so torn between this one and the new Pitts 15e... I may have to do both.... Darn it . Nice thing about this one is it will take the 2100 batteries I use for everything else... the pitts and the eratix(I bought an eratix, just have not built it yet) take not so common batteries...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is there a trick to getting picture files to upload with your message?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Best to click on the "reply" in the upper right hand corner of their post. it then gives you the choice at the bottom of your post to upload pictures. just using the posting box at the bottom seems to never work
    3DHS Field Support Crew

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Trixer,
    not to hijack the thread but I was also looking at the Pitts. I know the specs say to fly it on 4s but in all honesty I flew a Power 25 on 3s in a Multiplex MAgister. Mind you it wasn't the most aerobatic plane I've ever flown but it flew fine. Keep in mind that the Magister is a 4+ lb foamie with 60 inches of wing. I'm thinking the Pitts would be ok on 3s, just not 3s 2100ma.....The flight time would really suck. I've been toying with the idea of two TP 3s 1350's in parallel for 2700 ma. or maybe ever dropping in a 3s 4000ma. The weight differential wouldn't be that great and running 3s you wouldn't need a BEC......The only tricky thing would be sizing a prop. I know I was running a 14 X 7 on the Magister with the Power 25. .....just food for thought.....Pat
    Lawn Dart Champion of the World

AMA 870716

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DOUBLE THUMBS UP! I can't wait for her to be out, shall get it along with the Piper Pawnee!
    Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice ...
    Revver Brotherhood No. 232

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got mine last Satruday at the local shop. Built it in about 5 easy hours on Tuesday. Used the 450 and a 20 amp E-flite esc, S 75s and a Berg 4 channel. With a 2100 Mah battery it is at 30 ozs. Looking forward to first flight but winter is showing it's face here near Chicago.
    I have a soft spot for T crafts, own a real one. Had the big H9 85 inch version with a G26, was probabally the favorite airplane I've had in 40 years of Rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pat: I couldn't agree more, That is one of the downfalls of electrics, it seems like you have to buy specific batteries for everything. Thats what makes E-Flite 450/480 line of planes so great!!! Use the same batteries/motors/esc's/servos for such a wide variety of airplanes. When I saw the T-Craft, I knew I was going to buy it because it can use the batteries I have here already. Plus, its one of those that even if you build and don't fly, it will look just as good hanging up in the shop or somewhere....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AWESOME FLYER...... Very stable aircraft, I was surprised how light the assembled aircraft was. Flies like a dream very light wingload, it will float forever. I had a thunderpower 3300 sitting around so I figured what the heck. What a great decision with the 3 ounces of extra weight it flies like a much bigger aircraft. And it still quite nimble.... Can you say love a first flight.

Almost forgot, here is my setup.

Servos: 4 eflite 9 gram
    ESC: eflite 22 amp (need to upgrade this)
    Motor: eflite 480
    Prop: APC 11X7
    Batt: thunder Power 11.1v 3300

Is this Taylorcraft very close in looks or design as a Tri-Pacer 150? Thanks Capt,n
    Imagination is far more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein.

http://www.lambertsrc.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

jayc73

What was your flight time with the 3300mah battery pack?

Thanks,
    Rick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rick,

I went about 10 minutes and barely used 40% of the battery. I was cruising around at half stick most of the time with a couple healthy climb outs thrown in. With throttle management I'm sure you can get 15 - 20 pretty easily. I need a lipo alarm I always come on early rather than take a chance thrashing my lipos.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you have to take the wing off after every flight to change the battery? I'm not seeing in any of the pictures a hatch or anything for battery access....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The battery hatch is located on the bottom behind the cowling. Magnetic, no screwdriver needed!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I'm a slow builder even with an ARF and I'd say I have about 6 hours so far with a couple more to be sure it's flight ready. A few issues I've had is that the fuselage has a twist in it so that the stab and rudder were not parallel/perpendicular to the wings. I was able to take some twist out with a heat gun on the covering and by sanding down the elevator platform. I had to trim the base of the rudder to get a good fit as well as redrilling a couple of the strut holes to get things to line up. The battery hatch is nice, but I had to remove material from the cross piece where the magnets are to get my Common Sense 3-cell 2100 mAh packs in without forcing it past the cowling and in inner cross piece. I don't like that the battery can slide around even with the included strap so I plane to add some light ply pieces to make on open top (upside down) box to guide it's placement. The manual says it has 1" long bolts for the wings and 1-1/4" long for the wheel axles but my kit only had 1" long bolts so not all the nuts and jam nuts would fit. I'll check my LHS tomorrow for longer bolts. I feel the 450 power system will be plenty powerful for scale flying and aerobatics. I'd think the 480 system would put a lot of stress on the airframe and the manual advises caution with the higher power set up. I was hoping to try it this week but the weather looks poor so far. I've included (hopefully) battery hatch pictures.

Name:	Bz79617.jpg 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	812080   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je99805.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	812081   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ej13919.jpg 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	812082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kd89050.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	812083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qb37552.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	812084  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tj74281.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	812085  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very nice... well I am sold, I will be ordering mine tomorrow! Looks like too much fun!!!!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast