Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Which Plane?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Laggard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Plane?

Finished my first year of real flying and am looking for a new machine for the second half of '08. I'm currently flying a Hobby People Simple Stick and it's aerobatic ability, though good for a newbie aerobatic wannabe like me, will soon be limiting.

I've got it narrowed down to four planes.

Fliton Quiet Storm
Fliton Element 30
E-Flite Mini Pulse
3D Hobby Shop Aspera

I generally fly in parks and mid-sized fields.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:31 PM
divergoff

Default RE: Which Plane?

You may also want to consider the Eflite Mini Ultra Stick. I'm currently flying it with the 450 outrunner on it. The plane is fast, very aerobatic, and powerful. With the 480 motor the plane is, for a lack of a better word, crazy. I've never flown the mini pulse but have heard nothing but good things. I strongly recommend any eflite plane. Customer service is great and so are their planes.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Laggard

Yep, have flown the mini ultra and it was indeed crazy. Looking for something scale though. Thanks
Old 12-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Fliprob17

Of the planes you listed, my opinion would be that you would be the happiest with the Aspera. But it is going to require a little space, as would the Element 30. They are bigger planes, with larger power systems and you need some room.

If you mainly fly in smaller/mid. sized areas, you may want to consider the Mini Pulse XT and the Quiet storm. They are a better fit for smaller spaces. The Mini Pulse XT is a really fun little plane, and would be a logical next step. It is a bit cheaper so the learning curve won't be as harsh if something happens. It is also a bit more docile natured and easier to just jump into.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Laggard

Thanks! How are the Pulse and Quiet Storm going to differ?
Old 12-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Fliprob17

In terms of specs. (dimensions), they are pretty close. Wingspan and length are comparable. I think you get a little more total wing area with the MPXT. Personally, I have not flown a Quietstorm, I have an MPXT, and can tell you that it can be a very docile plane when you want it to be, but if you get the right power setup, it can turn into a little ball of fire and a ton of fun. Construction quality, I would tend to lean a little more towards the Fliton. It is tough to really give a good accurate comparison without actually flying the Quietstorm, but I think the MPXT would be a better next step for you.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Laggard

I'm wondering if one of them is more of a pure aerobatic machine than the other and thus a bit harder for a newer flier to deal with.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:18 PM
knotnuts

ORIGINAL: fliprob17

In terms of specs. (dimensions), they are pretty close. Wingspan and length are comparable. I think you get a little more total wing area with the MPXT. Personally, I have not flown a Quietstorm, I have an MPXT, and can tell you that it can be a very docile plane when you want it to be, but if you get the right power setup, it can turn into a little ball of fire and a ton of fun. Construction quality, I would tend to lean a little more towards the Fliton. It is tough to really give a good accurate comparison without actually flying the Quietstorm, but I think the MPXT would be a better next step for you.
I'm surprised at you!! LOL You didn't recommend the 3-D Hobby Extra! Could fly great aerobatics on low rates and still looks scale to boot.. (The BLUE ONE anyway)...
Old 12-13-2007, 08:43 AM
DeadStick Dave

I have been flying the Quiet Storm for about a year--crashed and repaired once. It is an easy flying pattern style airplane, but can do some 3D. It is very lightweight and is probably less expensive to power. I have the E-Flite 480, 40 amp ESC, and Hyperion 3s 1800mah power setup. Flight weight is 26 oz. I don't do much 3D because I haven't learned yet.

I also have 3D Hobby Shop's 47" Katana and 55" Extra SHP (in build). My next aircraft will be the 3D Hobby Shop 46" Aspera--very similar to the Quiet Storm but larger. (Bigger is Better!)

I hope you enjoy your choice.
Dave