Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Is brushless Really worth it?!

Old 01-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Spamman127

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is brushless Really worth it?!

I'm looking around to see if brushless is really the way to go. Please only respond if you have flown brushed and brushless. I honestly don't know, i meen the guys out at the club swear by them but im getting plenty of power and not that much weight out of a GWS EPS 300C and it was cheap! I got it on clearence for 3 bucks and all this other plastic junk that realllllllllllly comes in handy. It was such a good buy i got 3! Anyways, I was just wondering if brushless was really worth waht they are charging.
Thanks for your input
Old 01-17-2008, 05:11 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Is brushless Really worth it?!

Hey, If you are happy with what you got, stick with it!

Personally I found brushless a much better system, especially when combined with lipo batteries. More expensive? YES, but I feel brushless has made the hobby much more enjoyable and me a much better pilot.. (Priceless!)
Old 01-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

I've been giving brushed motors and ESCs away that I replaced with brushless setups. If you go to the Ebay stores you can buy brushless stuff pretty cheap, these days. I had a $30 brushless and ESC combo in my TM-400 that replaced the stock speed 400, etc. Lots more power.

CR
Old 01-18-2008, 08:58 AM
simmo8

i have flown brushed and brushles motors, brushless are a much better way to go but you realy do have to fly with lipos as well it is much more expencive but it is worth every cent but i do agree that if you are happy with your got stick with it "definitley worth trying brushless though"
Old 01-18-2008, 10:15 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at today's prices why stick to brushed motors? Again, brushless does not only mean more power but it also means higher efficiency which translates to longer flight times. Oh yes ... brushed motors tend to wear out much faster compared with a brushless.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:20 PM
jooNorway

I think I have 5-6 brushed motors laying around. They will propably be tossed soon. I would never buy a brushed motor more...
In addition there are not many brushed motor to pick for my 1kW - 3kW planes.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:03 PM
S.A.D.

How can I put this? YES YES and YES it is worth changing to Brushless. In one weekend I smoked two 400 motors and stripped the gears on the 550 motor for my Sportster. I will never run Brushed and geared again.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Spamman127

Yeah i kinda expected that respose but it is reassuring to know that so many people have had good expiriences with brushless. The next time i have some money here or there I will probably get a brushless set. I switche over to lipos when i got back into rc about a year ago, but never bought the brushless. If you don't mind me asking, I'm kinda wondering what engine and system i should get for 30"-45" wingspan planes for cheap. Thanks for you help so far!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Charley

ORIGINAL: Spamman127

Yeah i kinda expected that respose but it is reassuring to know that so many people have had good expiriences with brushless. The next time i have some money here or there I will probably get a brushless set. I switche over to lipos when i got back into rc about a year ago, but never bought the brushless. If you don't mind me asking, I'm kinda wondering what engine and system i should get for 30"-45" wingspan planes for cheap. Thanks for you help so far!
30 - 45" is a big spread. Also you have to take into account what kind of airplane it is. Wing area and weight get in there too. You need to educate yourself a bit more on how to apply the motor sizes and ESCs to the models. Fortunately there are lots of resources available including on this (and others) forum.

I got the motor for my TM400 from <headsuprc.com> and Ebay store. There's BP Hobbies too. Lots of others, just look around.

CR

Old 01-19-2008, 01:36 AM
wings 540

on my first ARF I had a brushed system on it and it wasn't very good.[] 2 months later I went brushless..........never looked back.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:10 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think there is any brushed motor that can turn 60,000 rpm and have the commutator hang together , let alone do 170 mph,

Brushless & synthetic sinewave - only way to go !!!!
Old 01-20-2008, 10:03 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its hard to say a motor for 30" to 45" plane ... its more important to know what sort of flying you are doing, what sort of plane it is. On one extreme a glider needs a lot lesser power that a plane that is built for absurd 3D performance or even an EDF. Choose your plane then your set up ...
Old 01-26-2008, 10:16 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

If I had to fly an electric plane and fuss with a brushed motor I would have never gotten into electrics.thats just me.I cant imagine flying a electric without brushless.I started with with a parkzone mustang and it was just ok.I then bought a minipulse with a brushless 480 and got hooked big time.I also bought and fly a ultrastick 25e and yes its a 32 brushless.I guess when electrics started brushed was about your only choice but given the technology available I cant imagine brushed motors as part of the hobby.there are plenty of vendors selling brushless stuff for any application .the ease and long life of the brushlees motors makes it simple .plus lipos make the hobby even better.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Charley

Unfortunately some of the ARF makers haven't got the message so they still sell beautiful models with brushed motors and heavy NiMH batteries. The GP Super Sportster-EP comes to mind.

CR
Old 01-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Laggard

ORIGINAL: wings 540

on my first ARF I had a brushed system on it and it wasn't very good.[] 2 months later I went brushless..........never looked back.
Same here. For some reason I had it in my mind that brushless was more expensive. The reality now for me is that it is often cheaper than brushed systems.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:24 PM
rsiaviation

I personally have had no problems with brushed motors. All of my planes that had them were fine on power and had long enough flight times. I have brushless motors on one of my helicopters and on two of my airplanes and will never buy another brushed motor. With brushed motors being more efficient they provide the same power in a smaller size, and the prices now are fairly reasonable.

Rsiaviation
Old 01-28-2008, 04:33 PM
-pkh-

If you like slow flyers, the brushed motor systems can be OK, but if you want something more aerobatic or want some vertical performance, brushless is the only way to go.

Almost every plane I've flown with a brushed motor could barely keep itself in the air. The HobbyZone Aerobird and Super Cub planes are an exception, they seem to fly pretty well with brushed power systems, but they aren't very aerobatic either. A properly chosen brushless/LiPo power system will fly any plane VERY well.

Almost every review of brushed powered ARFs and RTFs that I've read goes like this: (1) Author assembles & flies the plane with the stock brushed power system, it barely flies; (2) the author upgrades it to a brushless power system, it flies great.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Charley

Almost every review of brushed powered ARFs and RTFs that I've read goes like this: (1) Author assembles & flies the plane with the stock brushed power system, it barely flies; (2) the author upgrades it to a brushless power system, it flies great.
Actually they say something like, "the included power system flies the model adequately." Dead giveaway!

CR
Old 01-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Spamman127

Yeah, also the reason why some of those stock planes don't fly well with brushed is because they try to put too big of a motor in them for the size of the airplane. I've seen intinces where a beginer gets a plane and says "Oh its got a huge motor it will fly great!" They get out to the feild and the can't get it of of the ground or it has to go full tilt. Some times it's best to put a small motor in a plane and loose a little preformance, than to not have to fly it at all. And just so everyone knows thanks to another forum I posted I found a site that sells B/L for less than $10 unlike hobby-lobby which sells them for $45.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:37 PM
exeter_acres

Is brushless Really worth it?!

Yes.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:36 PM
jmupilot

Was going to put my 2 cents in, but I guess you have your answer . With so many discount hobby retailers online now, cheap brushless combo's with Li-Po batterys is the only answer.

Pete