Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

E-Flite DHC-2 Beaver 25e

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Deaol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Flite DHC-2 Beaver 25e

I have recently put my order in for this and was wondering if anyone has had a chance to see it in person, or even see a demo of flight in person. I own the J-3 Cub 25 and have been flying it on and off water for quite some time without any issues and am curious to knowing what the transition will be like swapping over to the beaver. Also if anyone else has this on order what electronics have they gathered up in preparation (other than what e-flite is suggesting).

Also if anyone can direct me to other threads/sites that have information regarding this kit. (I searched hard and haven't been able to find much) I know there are people that have had a chance to acquire this kit before the official release.

Cheers, Deaol.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:29 PM
bobferguson

Default RE: E-Flite DHC-2 Beaver 25e

Check the following

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...E+Flite+Beaver
Old 02-16-2008, 10:38 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I also have one of these on backorder. I'm anticipating using an EFlite Power 25, an EFlite 60AMP switching BEC, Hitec servos, HS-85's or HS-81's, and a Spektrum DX-7 radio with a 6200RX. I have the Pawnee under construction at the moment.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:37 PM
gr8taz nitro
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: MrMulligan

I also have one of these on backorder. I'm anticipating using an EFlite Power 25, an EFlite 60AMP switching BEC, Hitec servos, HS-85's or HS-81's, and a Spektrum DX-7 radio with a 6200RX. I have the Pawnee under construction at the moment.
I got one of these planes yesterday and you might consider putting in a separate BEC or put in a separate RX pack. One of the first things I saw was a yellow slip of paper in the instructions that said the bec on the eflite 60 amp esc was not enough in testing. It was getting too hot with the recommended servo's and going into thermal shutdown. I'm not sure what the voltage draw is on the hitec's your planning on using, but the bec on the eflite only puts out 2.5 amps continous.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:00 PM
MrMulligan

This is their new Switching 60AMP ESC and is supposed to be good for 7analog or 6 digital servos. I was notified today that the Beaver is in and will be shipped soonest.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Pilot44
My Feedback: (20)

I have one on backorder, but I had called Horizon on 3/14/08 and was told it was not in yet. Ordered mine 3 weeks ago. Am I missing something here?

Jim
Old 03-16-2008, 03:44 PM
MrMulligan

My Beaver arrived on Friday. WOW! This is a beautiful piece of work. The corrugated surfaces are well-done and the kit includes as a bonus, the cockpit kit. I am impressed. I've read the instruction book and it should be an easy build. I intend to start it after I finish the Pawnee.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Pilot44
My Feedback: (20)

Great,

Looking forward to your thoughts and input as to the assembly of this bird.

Jim
Old 03-16-2008, 04:48 PM
1Crash test dummy

Got My Beaver yesterday at my somewhat local hobby shop. I'm a newbe at ARF Hope i can put this together! Is this a good plane to put together as a first ARF? I got the 25 motor but think I'll excange it for a 32 because I may put floats on it later plus more power is good!
$633.00 with everything needed and a thunder power 3300mAh 18.4V. Going to use the Spektrum DX6. Add $159.00 for that.
Glen
Old 04-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Woodstock Hobbies

If you ever even plan on using floats then I would invest in the power 32 and the 4 cell Li-Po pack right off the bat. Yes, they are recommending the use of a seperate Rx battery for this plane, since the 7 servo setup for the E-Flite BEC's are rated for the Micro or Sub Micro servo's. I went with the E-Flite 60 ESC due to the fact that I am currently out of stock on the Castle Creations 60. I wish Castle would use the massive heat sink in their general ESC's instead of just the high voltage ones. Only thing I am not liking so far is the fact that they have glued the hinges in already. My first task on this plane will be to use copious amounts of debonding agent to remove those solid plastic pieces so that I can install the DuBro hinges instead. I may even break down and use the Robarts on it, and just cut the current ones. Anyopne have any thoughts on how E-Flite is now pre-gluing the hinges? I noticed this on the AT-6 as well, and let Horizon know how poor it is in my opinion. The one other thing I noticed was that the power 25 needs to be about 1/8" further out if you plan on using the supplied spinner and prop adapter. I will also open up the air scoop and cut a hole in the side to allow for some airflow over the battery. I did this on the At-6 and it does keep things nice and cool.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:55 PM
dribbe

ORIGINAL: Woodstock Hobbies

If you ever even plan on using floats then I would invest in the power 32 and the 4 cell Li-Po pack right off the bat. Yes, they are recommending the use of a seperate Rx battery for this plane, since the 7 servo setup for the E-Flite BEC's are rated for the Micro or Sub Micro servo's. I went with the E-Flite 60 ESC due to the fact that I am currently out of stock on the Castle Creations 60. I wish Castle would use the massive heat sink in their general ESC's instead of just the high voltage ones. Only thing I am not liking so far is the fact that they have glued the hinges in already. My first task on this plane will be to use copious amounts of debonding agent to remove those solid plastic pieces so that I can install the DuBro hinges instead. I may even break down and use the Robarts on it, and just cut the current ones. Anyopne have any thoughts on how E-Flite is now pre-gluing the hinges? I noticed this on the AT-6 as well, and let Horizon know how poor it is in my opinion. The one other thing I noticed was that the power 25 needs to be about 1/8" further out if you plan on using the supplied spinner and prop adapter. I will also open up the air scoop and cut a hole in the side to allow for some airflow over the battery. I did this on the At-6 and it does keep things nice and cool.
Hi,

I would like to correct some information regarding the EFLA1060 60A ESC.

The controller was indeed designed and tested with 6 and 7 STANDARD sizes servos (not sub micros). The actual target was to safely fly H9 60 sized warbirds including electric retracts with the included SWITCHING BEC. This was accomplished.
Note bullets from product page:
-5V switch-mode BEC circuit capable of 2.5A continuous current on any recommended input voltage
-Drives up to 7 analog or 6 digital standard sized servos, with the BEC, on any recommended input voltage
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLA1060

E-flite does NOT reccomend a separate Rx battery in the Beaver (or retroactively in many other applications) when using the 60A Pro ESC. The very high power built in switch mode BEC makes this possible. (Many other ESC products on the market do not have this level of BEC and would require another solution.)

For more information, including actual setups tested, please refer to the manual.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...CInstSheet.pdf

Have Fun,
David

Old 05-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Rudys Pilot

I'm getting the DHC- Beaver 25e from E-flite. I'm posting here in the hopes of acquiring some tips and tricks from those that have this plane. I've read the main post regarding this plane, but it's mostly unrelated to my very early assembly stage. So, I'm looking for suggestions from the group in the way of modifications, reenforcements, etc. at the earliest stages. I'm sure it's not a assembly and ready to fly! it seems there's always modifications. I'm looking to fly after I get back from Boston.

thanks guys,
Scott
Old 05-12-2008, 07:52 PM
1Crash test dummy

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846297

Read up!
Old 05-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

It's a beautifully built airplane that looks just great! However, I had a chance to fly one at SEFF and it flies like a scale Beaver. Don't expect to do much with it except loops and rolls. Although it flies well, it's kind of bland.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:23 PM
citabria1954

I recently completed my E-Flite Beaver. To give you a little history. I first saw the Beaver at the AMA show in Ontario back in January. I wanted to order one but they continued to be on back order thru April. I found one in a local hobby shop, at a price actuall less than what Horizon was selling it for. I bought the kit, thinking it would be a simple build. It was, but when I went order the ESC, I found that it was on back order. That took another 3 months. When I ordered the servos, they also were on back order. So I wonder what kind of customer service Horizon Hobbies has that it takes 5 months to complete an "Almost Ready to Fly" model. Has anyone else had this issue? And don't dare lose any miscellaneous parts such as wing bolts. They are a metric 5mm x .8 pitch. which no one has, including Horizon Hobbies.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:52 PM
1Crash test dummy

So what would you expect a scale Beaver to do?
With the 32 on wheels and my 5s A123 it will go straight vertical out of sight![X(]
Old 08-03-2008, 10:58 PM
1Crash test dummy

No Hobby shop around there??? Any Hobby shop has those parts. Their are a million places on line to get anything you need. try E-Bay. I get all of my servos, esc, other stuff off Ebay.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:19 PM
citabria1954

If you noticed, I specified the size, and the hobby shops carry 1/4-20 and 10-32 nylon wing bolts but no metric sizes, so be very careful. Otherwise, you' be spending time drilling out the blind nut and installing your own.

And a word on the detail of the model. I was somewhat disappointed in the quality of it. Upon inspection of the wing, the corners of the corrugated pieces that were glued on to the control surfaces werre chipped, and then were painted, and installed on the wing anyway. Looks like they were trying to cover it up. Also some of the corrugated pieces had ripples in them. Not what I would expect from a "Platinum Series" model. Would not recommend one of these to anyone again. Sorry to Say!

With regard to the servos, I wanted to stick with the recommended JR servos, so I had to wait for them too!
Old 09-08-2008, 05:56 PM
bzyguy01

A friend of mine has finished this beaver....using a power 25,60A ESC, 3500mah 11.1V, Flies well he said but would preferr more power. Going to use a 4 cell 3500-4000 mah next. Has anyone had any complaints about not enough power with 4 cells? We can always jump to 5 cells and bump up the esc? Reccomendations?
Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 PM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

Hiya guys...

Anyone still have their original box that your Beaver's came in?? Just wondering that the size and rough weight is so I can get one shipped over to me in NZ

Cheers, Paul
Old 11-23-2008, 08:39 PM
walkermsg

It's a bummer to change battery, have to lay the plane on its back and slide the battery in and fasten the velcro "belt". I programmed mine for a hard stop on the prop, you have time to set the prop horizontally before touchdown to prevent prop breaking. The flaps were hard to get adjusted so they were both the same. With a 6-10 mph wind and full flaps it almost stops when landing. Takes off in just a few feet. Wath the elevator, I had one side come loose in the air and made a soft crash landing. Very poor strength holding the elevators in place. I guess I hit the tail while loading in my truck. It's a beautiful flying plane that will cause people to stop and look. I put the 32 motor and 3S 4280 mah battery . Flys great.
Jay
Old 01-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Smokin Cap
My Feedback: (49)

Im really digging mine. I have the 25 in mine and I fly it scale so I dont need gobbs of power. Fun plane and I like it alot. Here is a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVjvFv5EVZI
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43679.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1102664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91168.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1102665  
Old 01-04-2009, 02:34 PM
kneewhack

Can anyone give servo recomendations on this plane. I know they reccomend jr mn48's, but I was thinking about Hitec hs225's. Opinions please.

Mike
Old 01-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Smokin Cap
My Feedback: (49)

I have the HS-225 MG's on the eleveator and rudder, fit perfect without having to modify anything. I have HS-85's everywhere else.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:26 PM
brianfp_400
My Feedback: (9)

I'm building my Christmas Santa Beaver gift now. My servo linkages are kicking my butt tho. HH shorted me one nylon clevis and are sending it next week

The pushrods are all too long, and I am having to size, cut and rebend the 90deg where the pushrod meets the servo arm. Is this a common problem ? This is only my 2cnd ARF

And my tailwheel pushrod binds on the fuselage and black metal tail wheel control arm fitting where it exits the tail. Its like the tail wheel control arm fitting is an 1/8" too short causing the pushrod to rub as the tail wheel tries to turn

any help appreciated

Brian Philipp
Swansea, IL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.