Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Battery help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
ERichard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery help...

Okay, it's been about 3+ years since I purchased some Li-Po's for my little Fliton Quiet Storm. And now they are just about shot.
These are the old Kokam 11.1V 15 or 20 C packs (I think they are around 2000 or 2100?) These are the little red packs with just one output to the battery.

Just to show you how out of it I've been ..... I now see that all packs now have a second connector (a balance connector?)

My question: Can someone recommend a good replacement packs around the same size as my Kokam's?

Also can I still use my old Smart Charger 2500 (little blue Li-Po charger) to charge these packs or do I need to order a new charger (perhaps, I need a separate "balancer" circuit)?

Thanks for the help!

-E

Old 03-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Fliprob17

Default RE: Battery help...

ORIGINAL: ERichard
Just to show you how out of it I've been ..... I now see that all packs now have a second connector (a balance connector?)
Yes, the smaller connector with multiple wire leads is the balance connector

My question: Can someone recommend a good replacement packs around the same size as my Kokam's?
I would recommend a couple packs, first is Thunder Power, hands down one of the best performing packs out there in any size. Either the 2100 3s Pro-Lite 15-24C or the 2200 3s Extreme 25-50C would work out nicely. Second, I have been flying the Xcite 2200 3s 20-40C packs for a little while now, and they have produced great results for me so far. They are a bit more affordable as well.

Other good names to look for are Polyquest and Tanic.

Also can I still use my old Smart Charger 2500 (little blue Li-Po charger) to charge these packs or do I need to order a new charger (perhaps, I need a separate "balancer" circuit)?
You should still be able to use your existing charger, but I would highly recommend picking up a separate balancer. Something like the Astoflight Blinky would be perfect. Runs about $25 and you can pick up the required adapter, based on the battery choice, for about $5.

[/quote]
Old 03-25-2008, 09:46 AM
ERichard

Thanks ADC!
Just what I was looking for.....I tell you, I take a couple years away from electrics and everything changes! No complaints here though, the changes are amazing!
I can guess what the charge balancer is for, but is this just a general safety precaution or do the newer higher discharge packs require it?
Thanks again.
BTW, I need to really get up the curve of the technology....I have a couple of old Composite ARF F3A Impacts and I am considering going all electric with these. Thinking of the AXI 5330 F3A motor. Any thoughts? I'll go to the Electric Pattern threads and try to find out some more, I think there are several discussions listed.
-E
Old 03-25-2008, 11:26 AM
GoldKraft

I have these in 2250 3s and they have been great. Cant beat the price. Shipping is the down side as it takes 3 weeks or so. They are out of stock right now as well and I would not purchase till they are in stock or it takes even longer.

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5462
Old 03-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Fliprob17

ORIGINAL: ERichard
Thanks ADC!
Just what I was looking for.....I tell you, I take a couple years away from electrics and everything changes! No complaints here though, the changes are amazing!
I can guess what the charge balancer is for, but is this just a general safety precaution or do the newer higher discharge packs require it?
In my opinion, having a balancer of some sort is a must. It does not necessarily have to be a combo unit balancer/charger, but at least using some sort of balancer keeps the cells in good condition. I use the blinky balancer on all of my packs, all the way up to 5s LiPo's. It works great, and is a stand-alone unit so you can use just about any charger out there.