Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Reactor or Ultimate bipe by great planes.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Reactor or Ultimate bipe by great planes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 06:32 PM
casey_lamm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reactor or Ultimate bipe by great planes.

Im looking for a new bipe. Im interested in peoples opinions on the reactor vs ultimate bipe.

I like the wheel configuration of the ultimate and the colors of the reactor bipe.

I hate the rear of the reactor with that wooden section. What do you think about them? Have any suggestions or advice.

Problem Im running into is no one I have found compares the two. Maybe because the reactor appears to be new?

Thanks for your advice,

Casey
Old 04-06-2008, 07:27 PM
casey_lamm

Default RE: Reactor or Ultimate bipe by great planes.

bump
Old 04-26-2008, 02:02 AM
hellblastervolly

Hi casey.

I dont have the Reactor Bipe, yet. But I have the mono Reactor and I change the wooden skid for a small tail wheel and it work perfect. I love how my Reactor fly and there is a lot of talk about the bipe in here. I love how the reactor Bipe look, so my choice will be the Reactor bipe. Plus dont know much about the ultimate and dont like much the look of it but is all about what you like.

Fernando
Old 04-26-2008, 09:11 AM
casey_lamm

I got the reactor bipe...I must say...this thing is wild. I am no where near skilled enough to put it through its paces.

It will do everything.

I had to set 60% expo and throws at 50%. It is still quick. Don't get me wrong it flies great. I really like to fly inverted hands off. Dont have to touch the sticks. The balance is very accurate. Use the CG setup they give you and you wont go wrong. I had to add 1.5 oz of lead in the nose.

Hopefully I will get some videos today.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:25 AM
hellblastervolly

Hi Casey,

Any video yet? I know we are having bad weather I can't wait for nicer days like tomorrow before the rest of he week get bad again. How much throw you have it on low? You can add more expo if you want it to be less touchie. By the way where do you fly in Lancaster?

Fernando
Old 04-30-2008, 07:40 AM
casey_lamm

Hey,

I fly at buck, they have a better field in my opinion. I have tried to fly at the goat path, but every time I try to go there is no one there. I called a few instructors and they told me about a long process to get flying, plus when I wanted to spend the time to go through it, I was told to wait till a meeting which was a month away to meet some people. I would rather just fly. Plus buck is cheaper and has one of the best hobby shops within walking distance of the field. Draw back is buck doesnt have any events really.

As for the videos, I don't have any yet. I have only flown it 2x. When I flew it it seemed like my CG was changing. What it really was that my elevator push rods has slop in them at both ends. Im waiting for the proper carbon fiber ones to come from the factory.

as for throw...

60% exp 50% throw is what im set to.

on high rates 60%/100%

I cant fly it very well on high rates yet. It rolls faster then I can see it.

It holds knife edge easily. Flys inverted hand off. it could hover but seems it should have been built with slight left in the engine. More to come on that as I fly more and see what the problem really is, or maybe it was just too windy when I flew.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:08 AM
hellblastervolly

Hay Casey.

Yes I have been at the Buck, I was thinking of joining there but the field did look weird to me because of the direction for taking off and landing. Maybe it was the way the guys were flying the day I was there or the direction of the wind was blowing. I never heard of the goat path, where is that located? I usually fly my electrics at a park and the glow ones at the club I used to belong to. Now Im looking for a new club to join and I did consider the one in buck but like you said they dont have any events and didnt look to have too many active members going often to fly. Maybe it was the time of the year or the day, the hobby shop is good though. I have checked other clubs and yes they are too expensive or I have to change all my chrystals for the frequencies that they tell me I can use so Im still looking around.

The settings look good, the bipe have short wings so the rolls will always be faster, I love how they fly. My first electric was the RCU Bipe and now I have the Byp Yak both are foam so I may get the reactor bipe next.

Slight left trust in the motor, now thats something I always thought that for good hover you need some right trust. Let me know what you find about that and let me know next time your going to fly the bipe I will like to se it flying in person. Soo cool.[sm=shades_smile.gif]

Fernando
Old 05-01-2008, 08:41 AM
casey_lamm

actually it might have been right now that you mentioned it.

I will be around today and tomrrow if you want to go fly some... give me a call
Old 05-02-2008, 03:38 AM
hellblastervolly

Cool Ill do that.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:32 PM
lanpc
My Feedback: (18)

I have had my Reactor Bipe for about two months now and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Construction was simple and very easy to understand. One of the best covering jobs I have had in an electric plane. Prior to installing the recommended RimFire 35/36/1200, I tried my Park 480 1020 kv and a friends 10BL just to see how it handled. The Park 480 fit just fine under the cowl, but only had enough power to perform Sport Flying. It would hover, but only at full power. The 10BL fit under the cowl, but the length of the propeller shaft protruded about 3/8". If I was to keep the 10BL on the plane, it would be easy to cut down the motor box for a proper fit. The 10BL was more than enough power to fly the plane and to perform any 3D or Pattern maneuver.

I purchased the recommended RimFire 35/36/1200 and upgraded the recommended 35amp ESC to an Electrify Silver ESC 45amp. Servos were Hitec HS65HB. 3S1P Thunder Power 2070mah battery. I tried two propellers; 11x5.5 and an 11x4.7 slow flight. The best performance came with the 11x4.7 APC Slow Flight. Depending on use, I get about 7 minutes of flight on the battery. Recharge takes anything from 1100 mah to 1500 mah (On a windy day) and when I do a lot of hovering.

Flight: More than enough power to weight ratio for any maneuver. Slight push to the belly on knife edges, easy to correct with mix. The plane cg'd just great (I like a little tail heavy for 3D). The long fuse reminds me of my 2 meter pattern plane, and the Bipe holds a nice level line just like one. Flat spins are easy with full throws. Inverted flat spins are a bit touchier, but it is a Bipe. Slow flight is like a foamy, very easy to hold and harrier to land.

PROS: Again easy construction. Instructions were simple and easy to follow. I like the fact that the wings are all glued in place. (They won't be coming off in flight, only if there is uncontrolled flight into terrain). The cowl and battery hatch are held on by magnets. Covering job on my aircraft was excellent; I hardly had to use an iron or gun. Large control services for 3D and a long fuselage for precision acrobatics. Good color scheme, easy to make out in flight.

Con: NO TAIL WHEEL. A washer is provided as a skid, boo. I installed a dubro tail wheel assembly, it added a small about a weight, but again I like my planes a little tail heavy. The fuselage is a little skinner than other aircraft (Extra's) therefore the battery compartment is a bit tight and removing a battery that is held in by Velcro is difficult. I now use a Velcro strap so that it’s easier to remove the battery. My landing gear former came loose after a couple landings, I used some med ca to reattach and reinforce for former. The cowl openings are too small, which does not allow enough air to flow for cooling. I cut a triangle out on the lower front part of the cowl to aid in cooling, which has worked. Since I installed the Hitec HS65HB, the cut-outs for the servo were too small. Easy to fix with a hobby knife.

I highly recommend the Reactor Bipe 3D.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:49 AM
hellblastervolly

Thanks for the info lanpc, im sure it will help when I get mine and others that will be thinking of getting it.

Fernando
Old 05-24-2008, 09:16 PM
gwp

I just finished the build on the bipe with the Rimfire 1200, 45A ESC and S3154 digital servos. Everything new! It went together GREAT! Now my problem is the aileron servos flutter real bad. I was hoping to get my maiden flight this w/e. Any sugguestions?!
Old 05-24-2008, 09:59 PM
casey_lamm

odd my aileron servos didn't flutter at all, however my rudder did.

On the ailerons, loosen the screws take a thin flat blade and release the tension at both ends with the stick centered. You might be binding a little bit.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:26 PM
paul1478

Can someone tell me what we are talking about "correct with mix" What are you mixing with what? I have no used the mixing yet and have this plane.

Also, would it be worth it to plug one wing servo into ch 1 and the other into ch 6?

Raido is futaba FM 6 ch.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:32 AM
casey_lamm

i am not using mixing either.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:50 AM
teeceeveecee

Hi Guys:

I just finished my Reactor Bipe, needed a new plane for winter flying. Something I can throw in my truck and go fly. My big planes all take too much time and support equipment (Wisconsin winters are cold). Last winter I flew my Great Planes Riot, it was great and still is, have to change back to skis though been flying all summer on wheels.

I did not use the supplied connection linkage, changed everything to 2-56 metal. Used a Rimfire 35-30-950, SS 35a ESC, 1500mah 3S/15C, JR 2.4, 6100 receiver, HS-65HB servos. The 950 motor gives me great sport flying, I am too old for 3-D, (73 yrs). The kit goes together without a hitch, with my equipment set up the CG was great.

Attached a few pics.

Have fun,

E T
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99925.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1049730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32511.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1049731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82955.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1049732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24711.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1049733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92332.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1049734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81280.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1049735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18300.jpg
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1049736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19470.jpg
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1049737  

Old 10-11-2008, 07:08 PM
casey_lamm

love mine, great plane. The reactor is very fun.