Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

NEW!! The Official Pulse XT 25e ARF by E-flite thread

Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

NEW!! The Official Pulse XT 25e ARF by E-flite thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:25 PM
woodbender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW!! The Official Pulse XT 25e ARF by E-flite thread

That motor won't be as fast or powerful as the Power 32 or Rimfire 42-50-800 on 4s.. For more power you could try the Turnigy SK 42-50-650 on 4s or 5s. But good luck getting a 5s in the plane.

Edit: I would plan around an APC 12x10e prop as it's seems to hit the sweet spot for speed on this plane, for me anyways.
Thanks, Wingwrecker. Would your altitude effect the prop choice do you think? (I fly at sea level.)

On a related note, even though I've been at this a couple of years, I have to admit I'm still 'electronically challenged'. I don't quite understand how you would "plan around the prop" like you suggest. Do you know of a good (VERY basic) tutorial?
Old 11-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Wingwrecker

I can tell you that with the 12x10e on the Power 32 and 60a esc I was well under the max amps. I don't remember what my readings were though. I think a 13x8 was giving me about 35 amps static. Try [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333326]HERE[/link] for a decent tutorial on understanding electric flight.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:20 PM
woodbender

Try HERE for a decent tutorial on understanding electric flight.
Just what I needed to at least begin to get my mind around all of this stuff. Thanks, Wing.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:06 AM
mystic99

Hi All, I live in Victoria Australia and am desperately seeking a hobby store in the US who will ship one of these beauties over here as no one in the land of Oz is importing them. Dammed if know why they look superb and it will make a good little mate for my XT40.

Thanks for any info guys and girls.

Cheers
John.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:34 AM
Wingwrecker

Horizon Hobby maybe? horizonhobby.com
Old 12-10-2008, 05:53 AM
mystic99

Thanks for that, but I contacted then and they told me to contact O'Rielly's here in Aus as they are Horizons distributors in Aus also Horizon Hobby site does not allow for O/S addresses.

Thanks
John.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:43 PM
clt12981

My two PXT25's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60954.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1093886  
Old 12-21-2008, 04:34 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

the floats look awsome!
Old 12-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

I see that Horizon has jacked up the price to $200. There are too many other good choices for a lot less money. How about a Diamante 25 for $150? There are also a bunch of Extras, Edges, Yaks for around $160.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Wingwrecker

ORIGINAL: Eplane65

I see that Horizon has jacked up the price to $200. There are too many other good choices for a lot less money. How about a Diamante 25 for $150? There are also a bunch of Extras, Edges, Yaks for around $160.
I love my Diamante! On the Power 32, 4s 4000mah and 12x10e she is a ROCKET and flies beautifully. I'm also waiting to maiden my [link=http://www.electrifly.com/parkflyers/gpma1572.html]Edge 540t[/link] ($170.)

THe price on the Diamante has not gone up. Nobody has this plane! You can't find hardly anything about it online which is crazy because this plane is amazing!!!
Old 12-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Farmer Ted
My Feedback: (5)

I bought a Pulse Xt 25e a couple of weeks ago because I really liked the looks and wanted something that would replace my old Super Sportster EP (RIP!) which was my first low wing plane and I absolutely loved (I piled it into a tree due to 'stupid fingers' after a good 250 flights or so)

Since killing the Super Sporster I had moved on to flying sport/ pattern style aerobatics with 3d planes such as the GP Extra 330s and Ultimate Bipe. I absolutely love these planes because they just carve up the sky like a razor blade and are very precise (especially the Extra).

The PXT25e is my first E-flite plane and there are things I love about it like it's size, retro racer looks (almost looks like an old Schneider Cup Supermarine with the floats on), and the construction and materials are top notch as was the instructions.

Where I've been a little disappointed is in the flight characteristics. In the sky it just seems like a big waggy, wallowy thing. If you fly it really fast it becomes somewhat precise but anything below 3/4 throttle to stall speed is just sort of blah unless you just want to fly figure 8s all day (which is really boring).

I guess I've probably been spoiled by the 3D/ pattern planes for precision and it's been a good year since my Super Sportster died but I remember that being way more precise, less wallowy, easier to land, less affected by crosswinds, etc.

I think I'm going to experiment with props a bit...perhaps a 12x10 to see if I can get a little more speed out of it (I also live at 5000 ft in Colorado) but I'm just a little bummed that it didn't really turn out to be what I wanted it to be. If I had it to do over again I would probably look at something like the Diamante, the new Great planes 50" Edge, or Reactor Biplane.

Anyone else feel this way or have any similar experiences?
Old 12-26-2008, 08:52 AM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

I'm flying with a power 32 and have been very happy with the performance. I moved to the XT from an Ultra Stick so our perspective might be a bit different...
Old 12-26-2008, 02:29 PM
woodbender

A couple of questions:

The elevator and ailerons sure do seem stiff. Anyone have a trick for freeing them up a bit?

Also, I'm wondering about the wheel retainers on the LG. I have two retainers on one side and only one on the other side. (They are the little round sleeves with set screws that fit on to the axle to hold the wheels in place.) Are there supposed to be four or two? Did I get an extra or did they short me one of them? Looks to me like there have to be two on each wheel for the pants to fit correctly. Is that right?

Also, there's no Allen wrench in my kit. Did you guys get an Allen wrench for the wheel retainers? (It's a REALLY small set screw in the retainer; much smaller than any Allen wrench I have around the house.)

(Nobody home at Horizon today. Can't blame them, but would have been nice to have someone answer the phone nonetheless.)
Old 12-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Farmer Ted

As far as freeing up the elevator and ailerons I would suggest just wagging them around a bit with the servo linkages disconnected and see if they free up. Also make sure that they have been installed correctly and aren't binding on the stab and wings respectively...if they are warped, installed crooked, or were really mashed into the stab or wing as they were glued in that could make them stiff too.

For the landing gear...mine came all assembled out of the box (!) but there should be 2 collars on each wheel...one on the inside (which doesn't really need a set screw) to space the wheel out to clear the wheel pant and the second collar should be on the outside to hold the wheel on (requires set screw). That makes 2 collars per wheel for a total of 4.

My PXT didn't come with an allen as far as I know but I may have overlooked it as all of my stuff was installed and I also have full allen wrench sets on hand.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:46 PM
woodbender

Thanks, Farmer Ted. Yup, I'm missing one of the collars. I've been wiggling the elevators, etc. Seems a little bit better but still very stff.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Wingwrecker

ORIGINAL: Farmer Ted

I think I'm going to experiment with props a bit...perhaps a 12x10 to see if I can get a little more speed out of it (I also live at 5000 ft in Colorado) but I'm just a little bummed that it didn't really turn out to be what I wanted it to be. If I had it to do over again I would probably look at something like the Diamante, the new Great planes 50" Edge, or Reactor Biplane.

Anyone else feel this way or have any similar experiences?
It is meant to be more of a Sunday flier but with that said, try the 12x10 if you are running the Power 32 on 4s. You will be much happier with it's performance. I too am up here with you and thats what I ran. From half throttle to full it would almost leap forward.

I had too much throw on my surfaces though and it didnt like that. I used to throw around my Mini Pulse like mad, and it would snap roll like a champ. The bigger one wouldnt do it for me and would just stall. Did it too low once and 'the end'.

But for a nice mellow flier with some punch when you want it, yes try the 12x10.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:36 PM
woodbender

Wing, is there a Diamante thread? Is it as fast as it looks? Ever hit it with radar? I'm thinking about my next plane (listen to me.. haven't even flown my new Pulse 25e yet). I'd like to run this same power train, the power 32, 4s, etc in something REALLY fast (100mph +). Think the Diamante will do that? Fast is good.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Wingwrecker

ORIGINAL: woodbender

A couple of questions:

The elevator and ailerons sure do seem stiff. Anyone have a trick for freeing them up a bit?
Yeah, just work them manually to full throw back and forth. Both my Pulse 25 and Minipulse had the same issue and working them manually for a minute or so freed them up. Pinch the surface near the point of each hinge and work them individually. You'll hear some small cracking sounds; it's just the excess CA breaking free.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Wingwrecker

Wing, is there a Diamante thread? Is it as fast as it looks? Ever hit it with radar? I'm thinking about my next plane (listen to me.. haven't even flown my new Pulse 25e yet). I'd like to run this same power train, the power 32, 4s, etc in something REALLY fast (100mph +). Think the Diamante will do that? Fast is good.
No idea how fast my Diamante is. It's not meant to be a speed demon, as it's more of a precision pattern and somewhat 3D plane. But yes, it's fast on that setup with a 12x10. If it's all out speed on a budget that you want, you should look into the Funjet (an aptly named plane!) There's some loooong threads on that one.

There is a thread on the Diamante but it died a year ago today! You can view it [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656623]HERE[/link].

It seems there are only 3 vids in existence as well. Search youtube to view them.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:59 PM
woodbender

It's funny, but I really only like airplanes that look like airplanes. I've seen the fun jet, but asthetically, it's right in there with flying wings; they don't do it for me either. I loved my Mini Pulse xt because I liked the look of it. (Dont' ask me to explain any of this.)

I look at pylon racers, but I really want to stick with electrics. Don't really care about 3D. Just like to drive around really fast.

Weird set of criteria, but there you go; something that looks like the Pulse/Diamante about this size (25) or smaller, goes 100mph +. Asking too much?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Wingwrecker

It's funny, but I really only like airplanes that look like airplanes. I've seen the fun jet, but asthetically, it's right in there with flying wings; they don't do it for me either. I loved my Mini Pulse xt because I liked the look of it. (Dont' ask me to explain any of this.)

I look at pylon racers, but I really want to stick with electrics. Don't really care about 3D. Just like to drive around really fast.

Weird set of criteria, but there you go; something that looks like the Pulse/Diamante about this size (25) or smaller, goes 100mph +. Asking too much?

The Great Planes Revolver is a aerobatic racer.

With a Power 90 or Power 110 on 8s lipo, it would scream pretty good...

I have one but intend to throw a 100 sized nitro in it with a tuned pipe, but I just like to have at least one greaser in my hangar!
Old 12-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Wingwrecker

There's also the Hangar 9 Sundowner.

Also easily converted to electric.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Pullin

I did the first flight last weekend, and I really like the plane!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtWo21MLv2Q[/youtube]

Old 06-01-2009, 07:41 AM
jg95762
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,

I was unimpressed with the performance of my Pulse 25 with the 13x6.5 prop.  I have the Power 32, Eflite 60A esc, and a couple of 4S 3200-3500 batteries (one zippy, one TP).   So I searched on here for help and found this thread.

I see that some people recommend the 12x10 prop.  I have one and tested it with my watt meter and it showed over 900 watts, so I got scared and shut it down! 

I am using a 13x8 which the watt meter shows at ab out 800w.  The performance is better, but I would like to try the 12x10.  Have others seen this high a reading?  Is my watt meter off?  Or should I not worry about it?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Farmer Ted

If Iremember correctly the stock recommended prop for the Pulse is a 12x8. My Pulse is running a Turnigy motor (equivalent to somewhere between the power 25 and 32 motors), 40A ESC and 3 cell 3300mah batteries. I switched to a 12x10 prop after just a few flights because Ifelt that the 12x8 was too anemic...not enough "bite", especially considering I'm at 5000 feet of altitude in Colorado.

Idon't have a watt meter but I do have an oscilloscope with a low amp inductive probe and from what Icould calculate, ( and from what Iremember)the 12x10 was only pulling somwhere around 20-ish amps at full throttle which Ithought was low and wondered if my amp probe was out of calculation (which is possible).

Idecided to fly it anyway and the 12x10 flies the way Ilike my planes to fly...fast. The motor, battery, and ESC barely get warm and the 3300mah battery gives me flite times of nearly 15 minutes. If this combo was straining the power system, this setup would have melted and died 100 flights ago.

I really like E-flite's planes but from what I have seen, they tend to recommend totally strange prop sizes for their planes. Ialso have an Ultimate 20-300 and they were recommending something like a 12x6 for that plane which is supposed to have a power 15 in it. I like the way it flies better with a 10x8!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.