Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

GP Lancair EP Brushless??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GP Lancair EP Brushless??

Hey Gang,

I recently picked up a Great Planes Lancair ES EP that comes standard with a T-400 brushed motor, 30A esc, and a 1800mAH NiMH battery. Here are the specs from the website (http://www.electrifly.com/speed400/gpma1165.html)

Wingspan: 43 in (1090 mm)
Wing Area: 36.5 in² (15.3 dm²)
Weight: 26-32 oz (735-905 g)
Wing Loading: 15.8-19.4 oz/ft² (48-59 g/dm²)
Length: Length: 31 in (785 mm)
Includes: Speed 400 motor with gearbox, 30 amp electronic speed control, 1800mAh NiMH battery, spinner, and prop.
Requires: Requires: 4-channel radio w/4 micro servos & charger

I would like to convert this over to brushless and lipo, but being a Nitro guy – haven’t a clue wear to start on the lipo end. Did get the following on trade and was wondering if any combination of these items would work better than the current brushed configuration.

eFlite 400 BL Motor
eFlite 20A BL ESC
Himaxx 2812-850 BL Motor (might be a 890, forget now, will have to look)

Based on preliminary research, I believe the Himaxx would be the better choice of motor but it’s rated at a 15A esc…would the 20A cause over current problems for that motor? What about a lipo if that configuration is okay. I was thinking of an 11.1V @1200 – 1500 mAH. Should/could I go higher in mAHs? What the C rating? 8C, 10C, 15C.....

Anyone have experience or thoughts on this subject. Are these motors even worth pursuing based on the model – or should I get something bigger like an eFlite 480?

Thanks!
Wiqar
Old 01-09-2008, 08:43 PM
LuckyArmpit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Lancair EP Brushless??

Kevlar, use an eflite 450 or 480 outrunner. And, a multiplex 480 outrunner with inline gearbox will also work.
With electric flight, a good way to judge the power you need is to use the 100 watts per pound rule.
For example, lets say your lancair weighs 32 ounces or 2 pounds. A brushless setup that delivers 200 watts will work well.
For crazier speed and 3D like performance, use 150 to 200 watts per pound.
For me, I will use a motor 1 step up from recommended. I have an eflite taylorcraft. Suggested setup is an eflite 450.
I run an eflite 480 in mine.

Lucky...
Old 01-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Kevlar,

The 2812 should be OK. Don't worry about the 20 Amp ESC being a problem. All that number means is that the ESC can handle 20 amps. Get a 2,000 mAH, 3 cell LiPo. That's 3s1p, which means 3 cells in series for a nominal 11.1 volts. At full charge it's really more like 12.3 volts. What the hey, you already have the 2812, might as well use it. You can always change it out for a bigger motor later if you don't like it.

FWIW, I have a Eflite Taylorcraft 450. Am using the Park 450 motor and 22 amp ESC that came in my Mini Ultra Stick PnP. Plenty of power on a 2,000 mAH 3s1p LiPo. ROGs from grass with no problem, climbs rapidly and is fully aerobatic.

Cheers,

CR
Old 08-12-2008, 09:16 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

so the stock lancair with the 400 geared motor ain't so hot? you have to go spend another 139.00 for an electrifly pack with brushless motor li -po and speed control ,to get it to fly good? the plane ain't bad at 100.00. but why not make a arf without the motor speed control and battery for about 60.00 and use the other 40.00 towards the brushless stuff. or put brushless stuff in there to begin with...............great planes isn't thinking i guess. if i buy one can i just put in a 1500 li -po at 11.1 volts and pick up some performance? also the li-po would cut the weight over the nimh pack that comes with it. what do you think.....thanks.....RON
Old 08-20-2008, 05:08 PM
UH60 Crewdog

HAD one of these and on the stock motor and Nicad lead weight It would not get off the ground maybe 2 feet then fell through ground effect. I swap the speed controller out and put a 3S 1200Mah hour battery in it had enough power to take off and fly but flaperons were a must on takeoff/landing. My suggestion is to never try this plane on the stock setup. G.P. really messed up on the power package of this plane but it sure is nice looking once you get the kinks out.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:51 PM
LARRYKOP

From Larry Kopecky Conyers, Georgia I have one, just built it last week. I used A E-Flite 450 motor. You need to make a motor mount to convert from the can motor to a out runner. I needed to enlarge the hole in the front of the cowl because the motor sticks threw the cowl. I test flew it yesterday and the canopy blew off 10 feet high. I had it scochtaped on in the front and it kind of stuck up in the rear. I didn't do anything except make a landing approach and then did a downwind landing. The starboard main gear wheel fell off when it touched down. It is too windy now to try to fly it again and I'm trying to find some lightweight way of holding the canopy on. Mine weighs 850 grams with a 2100 LIPO Suction battery. I used HS-55's on the ailerons, 2 CS12 MG on the rudder and eleavator. I made up 3/16" dowel pushrods and Epoxed the wings on. With a 450 motor the battery pack needs to move a lot farther forward to get the CG right.
[email protected]