Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Li Po Batteries and the Cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 04:45 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Li Po Batteries and the Cold

I remember reading about LiPos and the cold weather not mixing too well, but I can't recall where I seen it. Do I have anything to be concerned about? I want to fly tomorrow and it'll be about 45 degrees out.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:06 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Li Po Batteries and the Cold

I went out the other day when it was about that temp and my Li-polys would not produce the power, they were left outside the night before. I placed them on my dash and ran the defroster for a while and they all came back good as new.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

Well, that's funny. I've never had a problem with the battery in my cell phone, my PDA or my laptop that was related to the temperature, and they all use Lipo or Li-ion batteries.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:48 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Dorasl, They would work, but would only produce about half power until warmed up. Maybe our phones, pda's, etc. don't draw enough, or the Li-ion's slightly different construction over the Li-polymer.
I too was always under the impression that you had to get down in the 30's to cause this problem.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:36 PM
patnchris

Usually, all I need is a couple of circuits to build up the internal heat in my packs. I was flying a few weeks ago and it was 19 degrees. My larger planes would bearly get off the ground. I just ran them up on the ground for a minute, and all was fine. I do restrict the air inlets a little when it's really cold. Be careful doing this, though, as you need enough air to cool the ESC. Ask me how I know....LOLOL....40 degrees is borderline.....over that should be no problem...Under that you will see a drop off that is proportional to the temps, until the packs warm up.....Pat
Old 12-14-2008, 03:16 PM
louisben36

I remember reading about LiPos and the cold weather not mixing too well, but I can't recall where I seen it. Do I have anything to be concerned about? I want to fly tomorrow and it'll be about 45 degrees out.

Hi, It`s been about 37 f here for the past few weeks and I`ve done loads of flyin`. I find that putting a couple of LI-PO`s in your coat pockets at the field prior to flying does the trick.....just takes the cold edge off them.

I`m told Li-Po`s can be stored in the fridge if discharged properly for storage....not tried that though.