Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Model Tech Magic E

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 05:58 PM
ricksheau
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model Tech Magic E

buy from servocentral.com
Old 08-17-2003, 02:00 AM
d_wheel

I have a STRONG warning for anyone contemplating trying LiPoly power. Do NOT do it,,, unless you are ready to throw your old packs in the trash ..

Just got in from flying my MagicE with a 5S4P, 7800 mah pack, and it was SWEET! I have been attempting to learn torque rolls with my MagicE and was having limited success using 13 NiMh/3000mah cells. My average flight time with this pack is 7 to 8 minutes. Practicing IMAC type maneuvers with 12 cell packs of the same size yields around 10 to 12 minutes. With the LiPol pack, I flew 2 flights of 10 minutes each (which included a lot of hovering) and was still able climb out straight up from a hover! It now truly has unlimited vertical. There was one other pilot at the field, and he could not believe what he was seeing. He has seen me fly the MagicE in the past, and expressed his surprise at the improved performance. On my second flight, I took off, pointed the nose straight up. and climbed to a tiny dot in just a few seconds! I stopped after this flight because I didn't take my charger with me so couldn't check the status of the cells. After the second flight, they were a little more than warm to the touch, but no where near the 140 degree limit. Can't wait to get back out tomorrow and drill a few more holes in the sky!!!!

The only problem I am having is finding a good throttle setting for hovering. At 1/2 throttle, it climbs slowly. If I drop the throttle just a bit, it slides backward. Some experimenting with the correct prop size seems to be in order.

Later;

D.W.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:12 AM
d_wheel

Update on the LiPo pack. I didn't have a change to go flying today, but discovered that the 20 minutes of total flight time I achieved yesterday used a little less than 1/2 of the available energy from the pack! And, as stated in my previous message, I did not pamper the pack at all. If I can get 35 or 40 minutes per charge with this setup I will be very pleased. So far, I just can't say enough good things about LiPo power! The only negatives at this time are price and recharge time. I hope that increased sales will help bring the price down. Recharge time remains to be seen, but if the price does come down, multiple packs would be an option. 2 packs yielding 3 flights of 12 to 15 minutes minutes duration is, let me get my calculator , 6 flights. That's about what I fly on an average day so would be totally acceptable.

Later;

D.W.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:34 PM
realwiz
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Model Tech Magic E

I'm interested in doing a Magic E conversion as well, but I don't know if the equipment that I have is doable. I have a Mega Motor 22/45/3 brusless with a TMM 40amp speed control, a 1.7:1 gearbox, running 16 cells. On a 13x8 prop I'm getting about 8000rpm at about 26amps. The problem I'm worried about is the 16 2400mah cells being too heavy.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:27 AM
Walt Thyng

Realwiz,
I haven't run the numbers on your proposed power set-up, but for my personal preference the weight difference between 12 CP1700s and 12 CP2400s really degraded the performance of my Magic. Still, I note that in an earlier post someone was using 3300s and was pleased.

As for duration, a wetpower flyer timed several of my flights and was getting 9-10 minutes. He was so impressed he askd me to set-up 3 Magics for himself and two firends! He's loving it(-:

I set my timer for eight minutes and always have power to land.

I also found out that by feeding a little down elevator while taxiing the Magic ground handles quite well on grass.

I've just upgraded my Schultze for LiPos and will be going to the trade show in Rosemont, Il. this Saturday. Hoping maybe somebody will have a show special. If I've got it figured right I'll need a 4S4P pack to equal the performance of my NiCds. (12 1700s pulliong 35 amps in hover).
Walt
Old 09-15-2003, 05:54 AM
Jason W M
My Feedback: (6)

Hey guys!

Here's my electric Magic. After 15-20 minutes of flying I too only use about 1/2 of my 7800 mah 4s4p Thunder Power LiPo pack (You can get the pack @ thunderpower-batteries.com/). 30-45 minute flight times with the power of glow and at the same weight as glow is awesome By the way, Im using the new Schulze 636 and it can fully charge a 7800 mah pack in 1-2 hours. It cranks out 8 amps....very nice!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=149937
Old 09-15-2003, 11:56 AM
d_wheel

I am using a Mega 22-20-2 with 6-1 gear ratio and a 15/10 prop on my MagicE. Power comes from a Thunder Power 5S4P LiPo pack. Another difference is that I added a tailwheel. Gotta be able to drive it on the ground! We have a really nice concrete runway/taxiway and the wire skid wore off after about a month of use.

My flight times and performance are very comparable to yours. The local glow fliers stand there with their mouthes wide open when I jump off the ground and go straight up for 200 - 300 feet, with no trouble at all. It climbs faster than any of the glow airplanes around this area!

I can't seem to get mine to spin or snap however. Where do you have the cg on yours?

Later;

D.W.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:09 PM
Walt Thyng

DW,
I recently let one of the top ic fliers in my club fly my Magic (he has a wet powered one). His instant response was "CG's not back far enough." Unfortunately he couldn't tell me where his was at, but he did say that once yo get it back far enough it's a great inverted spinner.
Walt
Old 09-16-2003, 04:07 PM
d_wheel

Default Schulze 636

Where did you get the charger? I did a search and the one I found will only do 3 cells in series.

Later;

D.W.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:40 AM
Jason W M
My Feedback: (6)

Im using a Schulze 636. It can charge up to 13 series LiPos and up to 8 amps!!! A VERY powerful charger than can charge the 7800 mah 4s4p pack in around 1-2 hours. Actually, it can charge 2 of these packs in series (8s4p total) in 1-2 hours!

The 636 is $400 (Ouch!) but if you dont need 8 amps, the Schulze 330D is a great choice too. It can do up to 11 series LiPos up to 5.5 amps for around $190.

If you want to charge ONLY LiPos (The Schulzes charge ALL types of batteries) the new Astro Flight 109DX can charge up 9s LiPos and up to 8 amps for 6s LiPos - all for $130! Not bad at all!

http://www.rc-direct.com

http://www.astroflight.com

Currently, my CG is about 10mm behind the recomended spot. Im going to take the last 2 ounces of weight off the nose and this will put the CG around 5-1/4" behind the leading edge. I'll let you know how it flies like that!

Jason
Old 09-18-2003, 02:28 PM
d_wheel

Now I'm REALLY confused.. Not only can't I find the Schulze charger you are talking about, but now I can't find the Astro Flight charger either. Went to the web sites you listed and still can't find them. What the heck am I doing wrong?!?! If you can point me to an on-line store that has the Astro Flight charger, I would appreciate it very much.

Later;

D.W.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:51 PM
Walt Thyng

The Schultze can be gotten from ICare or R/C Direct. The Astro flight charger is brand new. Bob sold out his preproduction run at NEAT. Kirk Massey at New Creations is testing one and taking orders. The word across a number of sites is that the Astro Flight is the way to go for a dedicated LiPo charger ($129.00 #109DX)
Walt
Illinois