Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Great Planes Electrostick Rxr

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:00 AM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Planes Electrostick Rxr

I have my eye on this plane and was wondering how it stacks up.

I have been thinking about getting the plans to build the Das Ugly Stick from RC Modeler, and then Model Airplane News did a review on the Electrostick.

The thing I like looking at the Electrostick are that no glues are used in the completion of the model so it can be stored back in the original box when not in use. That would make transporting it long distances easier, without worrying about damaging it.

How well does it fly with the installed motor/ESC setup? Are the servo's a good match? How long of a flight do you get on the 3200Mah LiPo battery pack and is there any room for a larger pack in the nose?

This is rated as a .40 sized aircraft and the mini servo's seem a little small.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:32 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Electrostick Rxr

I have the standard version and it is a large aircraft, equal to a .40 size. There is plenty of room for large battery packs, but don't go over 3 cells with the included motor. I bought that motor for mine since none of my others would fit without modification. I planned to use a 4cell A123 pack and actually burned up three motors before I got the message. Tower kept replacing them. I finally got my money back and installed an AXI 2826 on a modified Great planes electric mount, the medium one. This motor sings on the 4cell A123 pack. I installed HS-81MG servos, three of them, and a Castle 60amp Phoenix ESC. You can install 4 servos if you choose to use 2 servos on the ailerons. I don't know about the included servos of the RxR package. I love Stiks. I have had many over the years and am just waiting for decent weather to fly this one. The RxR version strikes me as an incredible bargain. Have you checked the Tower website for a video of this aircraft?
Old 01-19-2009, 02:43 AM
jrcaster

Yeah, I thought it was a bargain also. That is one of the main reasons I am thinking about it.

What size packs are you running in yours, and what kind of flight times do you get out of it?
Old 01-19-2009, 06:35 PM
MrMulligan

If I had the RxR version with the included motor, I would go with the 3200 LiPo as recommended. For myself, I am already flying an EFlite Ultra Stik 25E with an AXI 2820, HS-85 servos and a Phoenix 45AMP ESC. I have a 3cell 4400 LiPo and two 3900 LiPo's. Flies great. As I said I bought the Electrostik to try out A123 packs, 4cell. These are 2300MAH I believe. I got two of them from Cheapbatterypacks.com at around $85 a pack. For a 4cell, that's really reasonable as the ones for the Ultra were over $100 each. I charge with an FMA Cellpro 4 and Cellpro 10. These are balance chargers and the A123's came with balance plugs and charge in a much shorter time than regular LiPo's. A123 packs are also safer than LiPo. It is snowing today and I'm still waiting to give the Electrostik its maiden flight. I had it to the field one day before it was finished and hooked it up to a Wattmeter. I got over 475 watts at a 46AMP draw. It's not a heavy craft so should be a spirited flier.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:24 AM
jrcaster

I was thinking about giving Hobby City a try for the battery packs. They have 3S1P 3600Mah 20C LiPo's for under $50 a pack. So far everyone I see on here that has bought from them has liked them.

I got the new coupon codes in email today. $60 off of a $300 dollar order.

They are right resistance is futile.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:21 PM
MrMulligan

Good luck. The battery packs sound too good to be true. Let me know how they turn out if you order them. Love those coupon codes from Tower. I used one to order a Seawind RxR over the holidays. I also ordered a mounting set for an AXI. Got $30 off plus free shipping as I'm a club member. The Seawind is really nice.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:36 AM
jrcaster

Yeah, I finally took the bite and got the Futaba 7C 2.4Ghz last month.

Towers normal price is $349, sale price was $299. And with a $50 coupon on a 300 dollar order, and $20 dollar rebate, it was more than I could resist.

I got the 7C and a hot sock to get my order over 300 dollars, then used the coupon code for the free Tower Hobbies servo. So I basically got the radio for $230 after coupons and rebates.

I don't know if the Tower servo's are any good, but at the least it will make a good throttle servo for one of my glow planes.