Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Hobby Lobby Gee Bee R3 build thread

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Hobby Lobby Gee Bee R3 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Capt Midnight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Lobby Gee Bee R3 build thread

Hello All...

I did some research looking for posts on some of the other RCU forums, looking for information on the new Hobby Lobby / Donuts Models Gee Bee R3 Fantasy Racer. In particular, I was looking for some posts on construction tips and flying setup suggestions, but didn't find too much except for a 4 year old thread in the Scale Racer forum [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3589652/tm.htm[/link] (which I have already posted to).

Since this is not a "Scale" anything, but rather a very nice "Fantasy Scale" design concept by the Italian aircraft designer Mirco Pecorari, I decided that it would be more appropriate to start a construction thread in this forum, as this is really a "Sport" aircraft and certainly not scale. I would be interested in any comments, ideas or suggestions that will help make this a good flying airplane.

This is my second Gee Bee R3 from Hobby Lobby, as the first did not last too long. It is now completely finished, and safely tucked away in my hanger awaiting it's maiden flight later this spring. Target date for the first flight(s) would be mid to late May 2009.

Over the next few weeks or months, I will be posting construction notes and photos for the build that I have taken along the way, and will be looking for comments and suggestions.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26102.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1128950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25487.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1128951  
Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hobby Lobby Gee Bee R3 build thread

Glad I found this thread. I really like this plane. It looks killer to me. Get them pics up so I can check them out. Might have to get this one next.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Ditto. You going to keep going here or in the scale racing forums?

I've held off on building mine. I've got one of the originals, diff color scheme, no manual, etc. I spent quite a bit of time trying to find any build info or flying info. Only to find, running battles over who designed the thing, who came up with the idea, etc., at least two sets of factory recommended throws, and maybe not either being right, lots of build faults that were maybe corrected on the 2nd & 3rd versions, and more horror stories and lost maidens then builds confidence. Beginning to really wonder if it's worth the effort now. Almost seems like there may be an inherent problem(s) with this bird. Really like to hear from someone who's actually gotten a consumer version to actually fly comfortably and more then 3 times before something tragic happens.

I'm thinking that the one at SEFF may have been modded? It seemed to behave a lot different then other vids I've seen of this. Granted having Mr. Cole on the sticks could make a difference, but if it's that advanced of a bird I'm going to be lost.

I saw this bird at NEAT last year at the Hobby Lobby tent, but honestly I don't remember seeing it fly.

Oh well, if it turns out that it is going to be a widow maker like the real ones, it will make a nice static version.

I know at the Fantasy of Flight museum in Lakeland Fl, there are two of the other style Gee Bees there. I remember reading one of the signs there that told about the inherent problem they had at anything at or over the 300 mph range. Seems the ailerons would start going bonkers and rip the wings off. Owner of museum/planes had to have a test pilot guinea pig his till they figured out the problem in the wing and corrected it.

So I guess even the real ones had problems, only took what 50-60 years to figure out the problem and correct it.

Tell me it ain't going to take as long on this one.[&o]
Old 04-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Capt Midnight

Hello all...

Hopefully I'll be doing some posts over the next few months, but my efforts have been delayed by the arrival of some unusually warm fly weather, so I've been off flying my big giant scale gassers.

I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Jason Cole at Toledo this year, and specifically discussed the problems with the current version of the Gee Bee R3. We both agreed to stay in touch via e-mail and share our transmitter setups with each other. I'll be posting my setup soon, and will post Jason's setup when it arrives.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Dsegal

> I know at the Fantasy of Flight museum in Lakeland Fl, there are two of the other style Gee Bees there. I remember reading one of the signs there that told about the inherent problem they had at anything at or over the 300 mph range. <

Delmar Benjamin had no problems flying his replica of the R-2 racer.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:20 PM
davidbarth

hey capt midnight,
whatever happened to the gee bee r3 build thread.
can't find it on RCU except the mentioned article.
could you forrward any build info. I have one also and am planning on adding Robart struts to soften landings
been flying mine for about a year now.
much appreciated

[email protected]