Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Dave Patrick 78" Extra 330L - electric

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Dave Patrick 78" Extra 330L - electric

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Tyler P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dave Patrick 78" Extra 330L - electric

I picked up an airframe used and I'm in the middle of converting it to electric. It's a 78" wingspan and 72" fuse. The dry weight is going to hopefully be in the 8.5lbs range once I'm done with the lightening upgrades, which inlcude CF main gear.

Power system at the moment is 10s lipo, 100A HV esc, and a Turnigy SK 63-64 motor rated at 3150w and 230kv. However, this is likely going to change to 12s and possibly a large HXT 80-85 6000w/kv motor. I've learned quite a bit from other e-fliers about big power systems, and the 10s sounds like I'm going to have to overstress all the components to get usable power. I may give it a shot on 12s and the 63-64, though. I'll also be running an rx pack and bec to power the receiver and servos.

Servos are Hitec HS-7955s all around (there's only 4) and it's a pull-pull rudder and elevator setup.

I'm just waiting for my equipment to arrive and then I'll start on the setup!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11659.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	1129732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67543.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1129733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12109.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1129734  
Old 02-08-2009, 03:23 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dave Patrick 78" Extra 330L - electric

Tyler ... nice plane! I am sure 12S is going to put a smile on your face. With the 230KV motor, a 12S system may be a little much. How is the Turnigy SK series? Does she haul the plane well on a 10S set up? How are the bearings holding up?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Tyler P

From what I've heard, the SKs are great motors. I haven't even got mine yet, as my equipment is still in transit. If the bearings don't hold up, I'm going to give a shout to Boca Bearing and see what they have for me. I used to be sponsored by them in RC car racing, and they've got some really good bearings. I'm sure they'll have a suggestion for me for this motor.

This is all in the very early stages. I'll be putting it together in the next couple weeks, though.

I've actually decided to stick with 10s for now, as going to 12s causes me budget and charging problems. Plus, my 5s packs will be handy for smaller airframes too, like the ExtremeFlight 58" Extra, or 3DHS 55" Extra SHP. If the plane doesn't fly well on 10s, I'll probably sell the airframe and get something that will.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:08 AM
tIANci

Tyler ... I am on 5S and 10S for the same reason. With 40 sized planes 5S is a real kick butt set up. I hear BOCA bearings are really good stuff. Not used them before but heard a lot of it when I was racing cars. Hope to see your installation soon ...
Old 02-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Tyler P

I guess I can start with some pictures. I received my servos last night and installed them. Trimmed out the pull-pull elevator setup so that it was even but haven't hooked up a battery and receiver to them yet.

Servos are Hitec HS-7955TGs all around.

Name:	Sq46733.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1132411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91087.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1132412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75555.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1132413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63884.jpg
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	1132414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd44420.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1132415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw27322.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1132416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl95564.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1132417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr60786.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1132418  

Old 03-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Tyler P

A few updates. I'm done with the project so here's a few pics.

Name:	Yv66316.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1149742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67055.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1149743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95751.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1149744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24794.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1149745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17752.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1149746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oe57153.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1149747  
Old 03-03-2009, 09:05 PM
tIANci

Tyler ... you are so lucky to get the batts to sit there and have her balanced! My CAP batts were slung under the motor mounting box, access was from the cowling cutaway at the bottom.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Tyler P

Yeah, this airframe is awesome for usable space! There's almost enough room to throw another set of packs ahead of where the current ones sit. It balances just where there at, with the 1800 2s pack for the BEC behind them.

I'm looking forward to spring and the maiden. It should fly nice.

Tyler

Old 03-09-2009, 03:48 PM
KASCHLO
My Feedback: (1)

Hey there DP fans. I just spent 6 months rebuilding a DP 330L. Re-covered in pearl white, polished all metal parts, reconstructud damaged cowl and wheel pants, even built a a canopy from scratch. After all was done my 3W flamed out 4 minutes into the maiden and it landed hard out in the field. I need to re-glass the cowl and replace the main gear. Anyone know what CF gear or any replacement that will work? Also I'm all set up to mold more canopies if anyone is interested. It took about 45 hours to get there but the finished product is pretty good for a scratch job. I'll post pictures if anyone wants to see them. Any info on parts for the plane would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ken.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

KASCHLO,
Wow! about the canopy. I have a DP extra and have many flights on it and love it. After one flight, I was taxiing back and a gust of wind came from behind the tail and flipped the plane over breaking the canopy. That was the only damage and strickly cosmetic. GGRRRRRR! I have been looking for a new one or replacement for over a year now. Is your canopy smoke colored? If so, I would be very interested in purchasing one from you! click on my profile and you can see a picture of my DP extra. Also, I have a couple of vids on youtube of it flying. My name on youtube is PC9JEFF.
Thank you,
Jeff
Old 03-10-2009, 04:00 PM
KASCHLO

Hey Jeff,
I left my canopy clear because of my color scheme. Its made of pteg instead of the original acrylic. It can be dyed with rit dye. I actually tried to tint the first one with the spray on tints and they don't work on the pteg. The dye works great and its easy to control the darkness. Its pretty durable also it won't just crack like before. I tried to tear one of the first runs and its pretty strong. I have some tweaking to do to match the factory fit but I modified the floor in mine and it worked out perfect as well. I'll post some pics of my DP later today. I'm trying to get her back in the air for a 3D event this weekend. FYI TNT gear makes a factory replacement main gear for $75.00 and troybuiltmodels.com has carbon fiber wing and stab tubes as well as wheel pants that will fit. The tubes will need to be cut a few mm but not a big deal. I figure to drop a puond with the cf accessories. Jeff let me know if you want one after I post the pics. It is not factory perfect but I'm getting pretty close. I just need to polish the plaster mold a bit more for the perfect clarity. I'll tell you this I learned alot through this as I built my own vaccum box and shaped my own mold from scratch. Now the box has endless possibilities for the other parts. I'm thinking about making a cowl to lose more weight just because the original one is sooooo heavy. Ken.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Tyler P

I'm using the CF gear made by GraphTech RC. It might take a little while to get it, as I'm sure they build it from scratch (at least they did with mine), but it seems to be very solid and well made. It took about 5 or 6 ounces off my plane when I replaced the stock aluminum ones.

KASCHLO, I'd be interested in a new canopy for mine. Mine fell off when I was carrying it out of the house and it landed on the top-back corner and cracked it. All cosmetic and I just fixed it with some packing tape, but I'm not happy that it cracked. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in making another one. Mine is tinted but I'd be more than happy with a clear one if it's easier to do.

How does it fly? I still haven't taken mine out yet, but I was wondering about its 3D capabilities. Is the airframe up to the abuse of hard 3D? The guy I bought it from was an older IMAC competitor, so I don't think it ever got 3Ded.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:15 PM
KASCHLO

I'll make more. Anyone know why posting pics won't work. Maybe I'm doing it wrong??? I put photos in my profile gallery if you're interested.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Tyler P

Wow, if the one on your plane is the remake, it looks good! I like your covering scheme, too. Looks sharp!

If you're planning on making a cowl, count me in for one of those too. Mine was originally a gasser and the cowl is full of holes and patches. I doesn't look too bad, but if I can get a new one that also shaves weight, all the better!
Old 03-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Tyler P

ORIGINAL: KASCHLO

Anyone know why posting pics won't work. Maybe I'm doing it wrong??? I put photos in my profile gallery if you're interested.
Look just below the text box when replying. There's a link down there that says: "Click here to upload images and files!" It's kind of small and I always end of looking for it myself when I haven't been on for awhile. You can upload any photos off your computer.

Tyler

Old 03-10-2009, 06:02 PM
KASCHLO

The one in the photo is what I made. Like I said not perfect but looks good when its painted and on the plane. The cowl may be a while but I might try. I'm actually in the middle of re glassing mine again right now. I need to get that done and re shot before I take off friday. The plane is more than able to do hard 3D. My buddy had the plane before me and put it through its paces. I have yet to get an opportunity to try it myself...
Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

kaschlo, The canopy looks great in the pictures! PM me on the price and availability please. You said that the plastic that you use takes rit dye very well? Most canopies will not take it - must be pretty good plastic or kindof pourus. Is the apron molded onto it also? That would make for an easy install.
My extra has aftermarket LG on it too. The original ones were too weak to handle the weight of my plane. It weighs 15LBS right now but it is a gasser and also has a smoke system in it. I don't mind that weight cause it surely doesn't fly heavy. The whole firewall is re-enforced with fiberglass and aluminum and some of the internal structure is re-worked to handle the stresses more. Also, all of the hinge lines are sealed to stop flutter which have killed a few of the DP extra 330Ls.
You bet this plane will do hard core 3D! There was an expert flyer at our club last year that said that the DP extra was what he learned and got good at 3D with. After watching him fly his own edge 540 50cc size, I asked him if he would like to take my plane for a spin. He said H@!! yeah, Blast from the past and he just rung it out in 3D - Wow, I was amazed! There used to be 3 DP extras at our club all with 52cc taurus engines in them (mine was one of them) and mine is the only one left. One of the others crashed in an inverted flat spin and the other was sold. Mine will hover at 1/2 throttle but I am just learning to do 3D and suck at it but I am learning. Mostly into the IMAC stuff right now.
Here are a couple of videos of my plane in flight - go easy on me because I really suck at 3D right now LOL!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQboS...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukUIP...eature=related
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 03-10-2009, 09:41 PM
KASCHLO

Keep at it!!!! Pretty soon you'll be doing stuff you wouldn't think a plane should do. It is a good plane (the DP 330). I am just having problems with air flow to my engine. My buddy gave up the plane for the same reason. I sent the motor back and had some work done and it turns great numbers on the bench dyno, it keeps flaming out in the plane though. I think I've figured out the problem, I hope!!! Yes the apron is all part off the canopy, just like the original. The only thing that doesn't match up is where the floor meets the fuse, right in the center by the divider. I need to carve a curve in there to make it right. I added balsa to the floor to widen it and then screwd it in that way. I didn't have much to go by so its all been trial and error. I'll work on it more after I get back next week and keep you guys posted on the progress. I haven't much thought about price but the plastic isn't too cheap. I'm guessing around 40-45 bucks a piece. Thats fair isn't it???
Old 03-10-2009, 09:51 PM
KASCHLO

I just realized you said your plane is 15 pounds!!!! Mine pre the cf is 17.9 pounds. WITHOUT SMOKE!!! How did you keep it so light??? I have a 3W 42i all hitec servos, 3 batts and thats it!!! I'll be happy to get in around 16.5!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:55 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

That sounds fair enough! Maybe I'll get two! If you know how to tint the plastic without warping it I would pay a bit extra for that too. Let me know.
What engine were you running in your extra? I had some problems with my engine getting hot and it would spit and sputter - really ticked me off. Well, upon talking to a freind who is an expert (in my opinion ) on two stroke gassers (snomobiles, jet skiis, motorbikes, outboard boat engines, etc), he said that I needed to change the fuel. I said no way, I don't want to blow up an $800.00 engine! Well, I tried it and I am running 112 octane racing fuel at $7.00 per gallon and amsoil 100:1 set at 85:1 or so. I never looked back! The Taurus runs wayyyyy cooler, throttle response is much crisper, and I burn about 3/4 the ammount that I was before! Besides, it smells really cool and when I get some of it on my hands, the smell goes away when it evaporates. Not trying to sell this but this is just what I do and it works great for me. Alot of people said not to do that on RCU but after more than a year with it other club members are now using it too.
PM me and I will give you my email adress.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-10-2009, 09:58 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

I don't know, I may have made a mistake. I weighed it last year and I thought it was at a little over 15lbs. I will re-weigh it tomorrow on a certified scale (I have one because of what I do for a living) and let you know.
Jeff
Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Tyler P

ORIGINAL: HUNTERANDJEFF

I don't know, I may have made a mistake. I weighed it last year and I thought it was at a little over 15lbs. I will re-weigh it tomorrow on a certified scale (I have one because of what I do for a living) and let you know.
Jeff
Mine is 14.5lbs with the CF gear, all in. Might be because I'm electric, and I don't have a smoke system. I'd like to be at 14lbs even, though. Hopefully, if you are able to figure out making the cowl, that might get me close!

I think the price is very fair for the canopy. I don't think anyone makes them, so that's a great price! Count me in for one.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:34 AM
KASCHLO

Hey guys,
I'm back... 3D fest was insane!!! The flying out there was incredible. Unfortunately for me, my plane never ran right. I worked through the weekend to get it working only to have 4 dead sticks on take off. I threw my 3W in the dumpster and bought a DA-50 which should be here tomorrow. I'll try to put up some pics from the weekend. There were over 60 giant planes there, from 27% up to the 50%. I'll work on the canopy this week if I can and keep you informed on its progress. Hope all is well. Ken.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Tyler P

ORIGINAL: KASCHLO

Hey guys,
I'm back... 3D fest was insane!!! The flying out there was incredible. Unfortunately for me, my plane never ran right. I worked through the weekend to get it working only to have 4 dead sticks on take off. I threw my 3W in the dumpster and bought a DA-50 which should be here tomorrow. I'll try to put up some pics from the weekend. There were over 60 giant planes there, from 27% up to the 50%. I'll work on the canopy this week if I can and keep you informed on its progress. Hope all is well. Ken.
Sorry to hear you couldn't get the plane running right! That's frustrating! That's part of the reason I'm using electric. I used to race nitro cars and it was such a hassle to get them to run the way you needed them to. Gas should be better but it sounded like you had a crappy time trying to get it going. The DA should serve you well, though. It's a very proven design, so I'm sure your DP Extra will be flying in no time!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:15 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Hey Ken, You LUCKY DOG!!!!! Going to 3D fest had to be a hoot!! Where was it at? I wish that we had events like that at our club. Sometimes we have IMAC events at our club but it is very hard to put together somehting like that. I still haven't weighed my plane yet. Every time I think of it, something comes up and I forget to do it. If I can remember right, that 15 pounds may have been just the fuselage weight. So, you are going to make canopies this week? Did you mold the aprin on them too? Hope so cause that will make installation alot easier. My canopy is glued onto the fuselage with canopy glue and hopefully I can get it off without too much of a problem. If you cannot tint the canopy, I just may paint it black on the inside but I do like to look inside to see how much fuel that I used in the last flight. Pm me if you want to and I'll give you my email adress and phone number.
www.redappleflyers.org
Thanks,
Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.