Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

GP Shoestring Power Recommendation

Ordered a Shoestring by Great Planes (54 inch wingspan, 6.5 - 7 lb weight). The recommended electric power package is for a RimFire .46 and two (2) 11.1 V 3200 mah LiPos. Is their recommendation good ? Would a higher performance motor (and slightly bigger batteries) be a better option ? Bob
    \" This plan is way too ingenious to fail for the fourth time ..... \"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: GP Shoestring Power Recommendation

Just check out the videos for the plane. Flights go for about 8 minutes from what they've told me, and there is TONS of power
    Life is short, fly more!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I really like the Shoestring it is such a good looking racer. There are too things that turned me off to this plane. One is the high weight, it's about two pounds too heavy for it's size .
    The other problem is the high cost ($ 199 at Tower).Similar planes from Great Planes are nearly $ 100 cheaper.
    The recommended power package should work well for this model. Good Luck.

i
    It\'\'\'\'s nice to be important but it\'\'\'\'s more important to have money

Skyblue, It might be a bit on the heavy side .... but that is because the fuse is all fiberglass and it has that vintage 'chubby' look. Looking at the pics when I ordered it, I thought the fuse was was covered in Monokote because you could see the rib structure but I was amazed when I opened the kit to find that that rib look is molded into the fiberglass ! As far as other 'similar' airplanes from Great Planes being $ 100 cheaper ..... absolutely no way ! There is no other $ 100 airplane (from GP or anybody) that comes close to this in quality. I will have it flying next weekend (Oct 31), I am going to use the recommended Rimfire .46. I will let you know how it goes ... (If you get one, I guarantee you will be impressed with the quality/workmanship). Bob
    \" This plan is way too ingenious to fail for the fourth time ..... \"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi i ran mine with the suggested ramfire 46 motor 6s 20c 4000 mAh zippis and 80 amp hyperion esc APC 11 X 5.5 prop
    clocked it doing dives at 200 kmh but i have to say it is a little heavy for the size of the plane ,my great planes Revolver is still my favourite plane cheers