Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: FOAM PLANES

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FOAM PLANES

is there anyboby out there that hates foam planes as much as me? i think there junk. give me a balsa plane anyday. i don't care if it's depron foam,epp foam or whatever. they just don't fill the bill for me...................GEETER

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: FOAM PLANES

guess not....................G

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Come join us at our next indoor fly-in this Saturday. We have a blast, and most have been in the hobby for 20+ years - and guess what they all show up with - foam planes! No one forces them to?!? The majority also fly on 2.4 gHz and have HD tv's and really small cell phones. I have no idea why?

Kurt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca82495.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	1299559  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm against 99.9% of most of the foam planes on the market. The main reason is that they are poorly constructed, require a great deal of reinforcement and frankly most are made from the wrong type of foam. To top it off they are way too expensive. Foam is a great building material for model aircraft but not the way the manufactors are producing the current crop of aircraft. My opinion is based on the numerous foamies at our field. Yes it is sad to see so many pilots spending their hard earned money on these barf oops I mean arf planes.
    It\'\'\'\'s nice to be important but it\'\'\'\'s more important to have money

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Please don't tell this to the pilots that show up to our indoor events! You obviously are not talking about indoor foamies! Now I'm off the indoor fly-in.

Kurt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

skyblue, i'm glad you agree. maybe some indoor planes are ok, but i wouldn't buy another foam plane ever. if i won ,one i would it first and get a wood plane to replace it even if it costs more. they are cheaper to make and still want the same or more for foam junk. IMHO.................RON

Geeter, I'm guessing that you have never tried a foamy EDF ! I am not a big fan of conventional foam planes in general ..... but the small EDF's ..... I think they are a blast ! .... especially when there is 3-4 of them in the air at once. Try one ... I'll bet you'd like it ! Bob
    \" This plan is way too ingenious to fail for the fourth time ..... \"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was sitting in my garage sunday and decided I wanted to fly. Grabbed my foamy, walked across the street to the park and tossed it up. Flew for 10 min and went home. I love foamies.
    Damn gravity!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It sounds like someone has had a really bad experience with a foam plane, and has given up on the whole idea! Foam airplanes got me back in the hobby after a 20 year break. Now I fly mostly balsa, but would never be without a foamy to go toss up in the front yard! It seems kind of ridiculous to write off foam as an alternative building material IMO. To each their own I suppose. No balsa plane will ever be as durable as an EPP foam airframe though! That's a fact Jack!

I also think that the foamies are (in general) making us better pilots .... because we are flying more ! I am able to fly more often, in more locations, and in more 'less than perfect' wind/weather conditions. More stick time is gooder, betterer ! ! Bob
    \" This plan is way too ingenious to fail for the fourth time ..... \"