Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

GP Shoestring Power Recommendation

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

GP Shoestring Power Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:03 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GP Shoestring Power Recommendation

Ordered a Shoestring by Great Planes (54 inch wingspan, 6.5 - 7 lb weight). The recommended electric power package is for a RimFire .46 and two (2) 11.1 V 3200 mah LiPos. Is their recommendation good ? Would a higher performance motor (and slightly bigger batteries) be a better option ? Bob
Old 10-17-2009, 02:07 AM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: GP Shoestring Power Recommendation

Just check out the videos for the plane. Flights go for about 8 minutes from what they've told me, and there is TONS of power
Old 10-24-2009, 05:01 PM
skyblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the Shoestring it is such a good looking racer. There are too things that turned me off to this plane. One is the high weight, it's about two pounds too heavy for it's size .
The other problem is the high cost ($ 199 at Tower).Similar planes from Great Planes are nearly $ 100 cheaper.
The recommended power package should work well for this model. Good Luck.

i
Old 10-25-2009, 01:14 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skyblue, It might be a bit on the heavy side .... but that is because the fuse is all fiberglass and it has that vintage 'chubby' look. Looking at the pics when I ordered it, I thought the fuse was was covered in Monokote because you could see the rib structure but I was amazed when I opened the kit to find that that rib look is molded into the fiberglass ! As far as other 'similar' airplanes from Great Planes being $ 100 cheaper ..... absolutely no way ! There is no other $ 100 airplane (from GP or anybody) that comes close to this in quality. I will have it flying next weekend (Oct 31), I am going to use the recommended Rimfire .46. I will let you know how it goes ... (If you get one, I guarantee you will be impressed with the quality/workmanship). Bob
Old 01-02-2010, 02:20 PM
qd25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi i ran mine with the suggested ramfire 46 motor 6s 20c 4000 mAh zippis and 80 amp hyperion esc APC 11 X 5.5 prop
clocked it doing dives at 200 kmh but i have to say it is a little heavy for the size of the plane ,my great planes Revolver is still my favourite plane cheers