Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Weight and motor/power question

Old 02-28-2010, 10:49 AM
tph1
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight and motor/power question

I have a 6.72 lb. Inspire 60. I have a Hacker A50-16S with 6C power. Is that enough or too much? I don't fly 3D (yet), I'm using it as a kinda remedial trainer/sportsman pattern trainer.
Is there a weight to power formula or outline that is commonly used?
thanks, T
Old 02-28-2010, 12:02 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Weight and motor/power question

You should not be short of power for sure. It should also be enough to 3D. Have a look at the SebArt planes in the 50 size class, see how much authority the motor has on those planes. They are slightly lighter than the Inspire.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:32 PM
tph1

yes I did, I took this power recommendation off the Esprit sight before they took down their Fliton stuff. I can fly the sportsman pattern on 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. I may end up getting a Sebart AngelS 50 or something similar later to put this set up on.
I'm thinking this set up can fly something in the 8lb range in lower classes of pattern.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:48 PM
tIANci

The AngelS is a lovely plane to fly. Anyways, 6S for an 8 lbs plane is not really appealing as a 6S system kicks out about 9 lbs of thrust, on windy days you may suffer on your uplines.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:05 AM
tph1

you're probably correct, I may need 8S to fly 8#'s
Old 03-01-2010, 10:15 AM
tIANci

10S! Hehehehehee ... I used the Scorpion 4035-250 on my WindS 110 ... lovely!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:50 AM
tph1

I saw the thread on the Wind 110 and it looks like a sweet plane. I am trying to decide on my next plane. I am torn between build a 110 size or going ahead and doing a full 2m. What do you think?
How much difference is there in the power requirements?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:00 PM
tIANci

110 or 2M ... cost difference is not that much ... the 110 uses a slightly less powerful motor but you need an 80A ESC so might as well go with a CC85 once and for all. I am flying mine on 10S so batts make no difference. Then comes servos etc, its about the same if you are a serious pilot. Only difference is the cost of the plane I guess. The Extreme Flight 2M Vanquish, they have an EP version too I think, is rumoured to be no more than USD700, maybe as low as USD650 too. That would be a sweet buy when it hits the market.

There are not many cheap EP 2M patternships out there. The Fliton 2M is nicely manufactured, I had my hands on one but it was overweight, that happened because the first few had somehow been built using heavier ply, it was a mistake I was informed. So if you can find one that is light then she is a nice plane but mods are needed for EP on the motor mounting department.

I went for the WindS 110 because its easy to transport still and I am just a non competitive hobbyist.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:42 PM
tph1

I want to get back into contest flying eventually so I may go for a 2M. The Vanquish, if it ever comes out, may be the way I go. But, it depends on it coming out sooner rather than later.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Franco2fly

I came across a good "Rule of Thumb" when it comes to converting gas to electric or gliders to electric.  They guy said to use 100 Watts per pound.  Now I know you need a good Watt meter, and you will need to play with props/versus ESC amps, but I have found his course instruction to be pretty close on.  At 100 Watts per pound you will get sporty performance.

KKKKFL