Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

servos

Old 05-06-2010, 09:25 PM
chewy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servos

What servos are most people using on the 50" 3d electrics like the Extra from Extreme Flight? I know I have read where some guys are using the Hitec hs-65mg. It doesn't seem very powerful to me. I am considering the hs-81 or 85mg. The 81 is quite a bit cheaper and specs show it stronger and faster.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:18 PM
crustychief

Default RE: servos

I would run with the HS-65MG' s unless you want a little higher precision then run the HS-5065MG. I think that ( the 5065) is what one of my club members is running and has not had any problems with it at all. 
Old 05-07-2010, 06:08 AM
fmw

I'm surprised everybody thinks a micro servo is enough.  That's a pretty good sized plane with large control surfaces.   If that's what the manufacturer recommends then go with the HS-65 as mentioned above.  Are you sure a mini like the HS225 isn't a better choice?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:08 AM
crustychief

Micro servos today are superior in every way to the standard heavy duty servos we used to use for 1/4 scale years ago. With 3D, lighter is better. I would not use the 81's in my plane if I were you, they have nylon gears and may strip on you. the 85mg are 10 grams heavier, for every servo you put in the tail you will have to add lead up front to compensate.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:48 PM
chewy

I guess I'm old school. Seem too weak to me.